Is Dahlin a generational talent?

Is Rasmus Dahlin a generational talent?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I feel like generational should apply to the guys who break into the league as kids and never look back. They kill it year in and year out and never seem to really slump. Or if they do slump they're still killing it relative to their peers.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
In terms of potential/talent, sure. It’s too bad his development has stunted him considerably

Also, the avatar is a joke, tia
See I don't necessarily get this. His development has no doubt been bad, so set that aside.

His toolbox is really good, but there's nothing in there that jumps out in a way like say McDavid's skating does. I don't see that as a generational talent. Elite talent? Sure. And you have to be patient with Dmen and put them in positions to succeed and grow steadily (which obviously did not happen with him). But I feel like the generational talk was never correct with him - it was more of a situation where 15/16 had elite #1s, 17/19 did not, and 18 he stood out relative to the drafts around him so the hype got a little out of control.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
See I don't necessarily get this. His development has no doubt been bad, so set that aside.

His toolbox is really good, but there's nothing in there that jumps out in a way like say McDavid's skating does. I don't see that as a generational talent. Elite talent? Sure. And you have to be patient with Dmen and put them in positions to succeed and grow steadily (which obviously did not happen with him). But I feel like the generational talk was never correct with him - it was more of a situation where 15/16 had elite #1s, 17/19 did not, and 18 he stood out relative to the drafts around him so the hype got a little out of control.

His puck skills and poise were generational for a 16/17 year old playing against men - hence the hype. I’d say they still are but his development took a hit for some reason, the “Buffalo sucks” argument gets thrown around a lot, I don’t know if that’s the full explanation but could be one.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
His puck skills and poise were generational for a 16/17 year old playing against men - hence the hype. I’d say they still are but his development took a hit for some reason, the “Buffalo sucks” argument gets thrown around a lot, I don’t know if that’s the full explanation but could be one.
I'm generally loathe to assume puck skills translate very well to the NHL from other leagues - even pro leagues. Time and space to make those moves are rarely there. See, e.g. Jonathan Drouin.

Poise is a bit ephemeral, but I feel that the same issue could present. It's easy to have poise when it's *insert SEL player here* closing in on you, but it's a bit different when it's Nathan MacKinnon.

smokes lets go

Oct 18, 2008
No, that ship has sailed. He can still be a very good player but he needs to figure it out and being on the Sabres doesn't help.

Ben White

Dec 28, 2015
I'm generally loathe to assume puck skills translate very well to the NHL from other leagues - even pro leagues. Time and space to make those moves are rarely there. See, e.g. Jonathan Drouin.

Poise is a bit ephemeral, but I feel that the same issue could present. It's easy to have poise when it's *insert SEL player here* closing in on you, but it's a bit different when it's Nathan MacKinnon.

I’m puzzled, from what I’ve seen from him this season, only a few games, he looked dominant. Yet the stats and reputation aren’t there, maybe I just got lucky catching him at the right moments or something.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Generational means in a tier of his own when it comes to all other players during his era. So, nope. Bobby Orr was generational. The only defenseman I can think of who fits the criteria.

McDavid is a tier above Dahlin. At least a tier.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Generational players find ways to have success even in the crappiest of environments.

Dahlin is not doing that.

MakeTheGoalsLarger

Dec 9, 2011
Antarctica
Of course he is. He was heralded as the best talent at defense since Orr. That's generational talent level. It doesn't matter what happens with his career.

But he is also a generational bust at this point.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
In general generational player hit the floor right away, but not always:
1946-4718DETNHL5871522 5270001500
1947-4819DETNHL60162844 63141122350
1948-4920DETNHL40122537 57102022140 AS-2
1949-5021DETNHL70353368 693050421120 AS-2
1950-5122DETNHL70434386 743850932110 AS-1,Hart-3,Ross-1
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Maybe if he does not start once the 06 team got stacked it is different and for the tier just below that we saw Jagr first top 10 season was is 4th one (21 year's old one), in both those example they were in stacked team situation too (Jagr didn't play much first wave powerplay for a while, which is rare for a talent like that) that do not apply to Dahlin, Hasek being an extreme example of that and he was a generational goaltender arguably the goat.

There is some room, even if the standard scenario is to start with a bang in your first 2 seasons a la Gretzky, Lemieux, Orr, McDavid, Crosby, etc...

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I'd say the list of young NHL D that I would take before him is growing, not shrinking. He will likely be very good, but an all time great? I really doubt it.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
wouldn't that put him in the "generational" conversation? 2-3 before he's 30 probably means 4-5 total, there's only a few guys in that club

I don't disagree with your assessment, just think that would put him in the conversation for the best dman of his generation.

Well, Vic Hedman won once, and was top 3 multiple times.
He mostly lost out because guys with offence got more votes. I think in his prime Dahlin will have that offence to get those few extra votes.

The dude is 20 years old and will play 10 more seasons before he turns 30. This year is a write off for everything Buffalo, but you can’t look at last year and be like... this kid doesn’t have the skill kind of thing.

Reactions: Randy Randerson

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
People like to throw the term "generational" player around so much around here. No, he is not.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
No. Right now we are witnessing the Hedman era. Dude is likely to be winning another 3-4 Norris.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
How is a defenseman supposed to put up points when the forwards can't score? Even the best defenseman are lucky to put in 20 goals themselves in a season you need a team that can actually put the puck in the net and Dahlin doesn't have that this year with Eichel and Hall shooting sub 4% and half of the team(including the coaches) has gotten either injured or missed several games due to Covid. They had AHL and even ECHL level goalies in net for most of the season what defenseman is going to look good in that shit of a situation stuck in top pairing with a team that can't score and had goalies they couldn't rely on for most of the season? Sabres could have the best defenseman ever and they would still be last in the NHL this season you can't play the season with goalies giving up 5 goals per game in this era and expect to win or dominate.

Reactions: swedehollow
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad