Is Cooper the best coach in the League?

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Crazy how fast perceptions of players/coaches change, winning is a helluva drug.

After getting swept by Columbus - 'Cooper needs to go, not a winner, etc.'
First cup win - ' Cooper is alright, but they won in spite of him'
Second cup win - 'One of the best coaches in the league'.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Its a players league and they built a diverse and talented team. Many different skill sets that come together well. He's obviously a good coach, but a large majority of the teams run similar systems. Its not like he's doing things other people are/aren't. There are buttons you can push and line combos matter etc, but at the end of the day they have a MUCH better roster than nearly every team.

Hansem1979

Jun 25, 2021
He is a good coach but freakin Ralph Krueger can probably win with this lineup.

The real artwork of TB happened over the last several years on the second floor in the management offices

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Surprised at the lack of credit given to Cooper. He's handed a good team, but he clearly knows how to motivate every player. Even guys like Kucherov work hard and are willing to battle, forecheck, and defend.

His flexibility I think is underrated too. He can get the Lightning to play a variety of styles to maximum effectiveness, depending on the situation. High octane transition heavy hockey? They have the weapons. Forecheck + cycle-based offense? Sure thing. Grind it out, 1-0 trap hockey? They can do that too.

Most coaches have one particular style/gameplan they typically are comfortable with. But Cooper can get the Lightning to run any way they need to. That seems like a value-add to me.

Arselona

Nov 9, 2007
Yes he is. Probably the whole coaching team is best in the league. Tampa has a great roster but that aspect is what puts them ahead other top teams in the league.

Body Checker

Aug 11, 2005
I'd take Trotz over Cooper right now.

Trotz has been the bridesmaid numerous times; Cooper has two Cups. Also Cooper lets his guys open up quite a bit. Until Trotz lets guys like Barzal play like Point/Kucherov the Isles will always be a goal or two behind. They are close though. A healthy Anders Lee might get them to the Cup final next season.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
I love the idea of watching a Jon Cooper-coached Team Canada at the Olympics next year blowing everyone out of the water.

But I could easily see Hockey Canada galaxy-braining it and hiring Trotz to play his mistake-free suffocation game. Blah.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Trotz has been the bridesmaid numerous times; Cooper has two Cups. Also Cooper lets his guys open up quite a bit. Until Trotz lets guys like Barzal play like Point/Kucherov the Isles will always be a goal or two behind. They are close though. A healthy Anders Lee might get them to the Cup final next season.
If Cooper let the Isles open a bit they might not make it out of the first round.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
He's definitely up there. His experience showed when it came to line matching and getting who he wanted on the ice when - even on the road.

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Crazy how fast perceptions of players/coaches change, winning is a helluva drug.

After getting swept by Columbus - 'Cooper needs to go, not a winner, etc.'
First cup win - ' Cooper is alright, but they won in spite of him'
Second cup win - 'One of the best coaches in the league'.
well, when results change your opinion, that's actually a good thing.

i found Tampa's defensive structure to be quite impressive in the series against the Habs. TBL always had 4 big bodies collapsing down low, long sticks in lanes, no panic, no one out of position. Habs were rarely able to produce any kind of sustained offensive zone pressure. it was hell to watch as a Habs fan but i was still begrudgingly impressed :laugh:

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
I think his system is best for a talented team like this. If Trotz was the coach of the Lightning I think the offensive potential gets severely neutered for not as much gain defensively

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Back to back cups now and strong regular seasons

He looks like Michael Keaton sort of..
He is not the best coach in hockey. He is one of the most fortunate to have inherited so many exceptional players, and to not have to worry about the salary cap in the playoffs.

TomppaKoo

Jan 27, 2021
Rod the Bod is the best coach this year. Cooper just happens to have the best personnel in the NHL to coach by far. And they still almost lost to ISLANDERS...

Damifino

Dec 23, 2013
FL Keys
Something else to consider in the equation; Cooper coached much of the team and nearly all of its superstars depth in their development years. These (some future HOFers) were developed by Coop in Syracuse. Kuch, Point, Palat, Johnson, Gourde... others that we traded and have been a success in the league.

I don't think any other coach in this discussion has anything similar on their resume. Might actually be record-book rare.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad