Is Connor Hellebuyck tracking to be a HHOFer?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
I think so. The bar is unfairly high for goalies, but getting slightly more reasonable lately.
not sure about that. A much higher proportion of goalies are in vs skaters, so not sure how one could conclude it’s harder for them

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Probably wins another Vezina this year.

Not often a 2x Vezina winner stays out of the HHOF.
Both him and Bob are both likely in (Although Bob will likely move top-10 in wins next season).

Helle's case could be solidified with 400 wins.

A Cup would just make them First ballot.

Last edited:
Reactions: hn777

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
So far his regular season career has mirrored that of Braden Holtby. But Holtby has a Cup win and incredible playoff numbers. Insane that he had to retire at 32 years old.

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Pair of Vezinas will probably get him in eventually.

I know Thomas has two and isn't in, but Helle has already played 80 more career games. If he can stay healthy and even moderately productive, he'll go.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
We're in an era where there are few dominant goalies, and Hellebuck is consistently dominant. I would say that, yes, he is on track, but he isn't a slam dunk. I expect him to win the Vezina this year, and winning 2 or 3 more of those should solidify him as a guarantee. Of course, winning a cup will also help, if the Jets can do that.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
What’s with all these replies he needs a “few more Vezinas” and some people add AND a cup AND a Smythe? How many goalies of the last couple decades even have more than 1 Vézina OR a Smythe? You’d have to think a goalie Smythe is a lock for HHOF. As well as a single Vézina while being a top tier goalie in this league… for goodness sakes…

Not saying HE IS a lock, but come on… a COUPLE Vezinas, AND a Smythe and what else?
Hextall won a Smythe and a Vezina and didn't get in.

Cam Ward won a Conn Smythe, and I don't think any would argue that he should be in.

Most Conn Smythe winning goalies get in because they have HOF careers already, so I agree that the Smythe probably doesn't have anything to do with it in the grand scheme of it all. If he gets a couple more Vezina's and a cup, he's in. If he gets a couple more Vezinas and no cup, he still should be in. If he ends his career with only 2 Vezinas, then it might come down to how many wins he can get before he retires. I would say with 2 Vezinas, 350 wins is an absolute lock, and that's only 3 more years at his current level, if the Jets play well.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Hellebuyck has a lot to prove in the playoffs. His numbers in the playoffs are not great for a goalie of his calibre. 2nd highest paid goalie in the NHL and he needs to start playing like one. Great regular season goalie though.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A guy who is bad in the playoffs is just not hockey's best goalie.
Well, NHL pays a salary for regular season, while playoffs are slave labor. So considering the job he's paid for, playoffs don't really matter.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Pair of Vezinas will probably get him in eventually.

I know Thomas has two and isn't in, but Helle has already played 80 more career games. If he can stay healthy and even moderately productive, he'll go.
I think it's going to get harder and harder to ignore Thomas' case
Hes' mostly not in because of the similar reasons as Theo Fleury.

Went of the deep end with anti-gay rhetoric.

In 2024 it's not a 'political view'. It's a hate view.

The NHL being as progressive as it is, is trying to distance themselves from Thomas.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Hellebuyck has a lot to prove in the playoffs. His numbers in the playoffs are not great for a goalie of his calibre. 2nd highest paid goalie in the NHL and he needs to start playing like one. Great regular season goalie though.
I remember he pretty much gave us the series in 2021. Price stood on his head for four games and nitwits around here were saying that Hellebuyck was a better goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad