Is Connor Hellebuyck tracking to be a HHOFer?

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I don't even disagree with that on substance, but he does need to add games at a decent level.

On top of my head, only one post-expansion netminder with less than 600 GP (Ken Dryden), and only two others made it with less than 700 GP (Bernard Parent and Billy Smith). The first had a MUCH better resume than Hellebuyck, the other two backstopped dynasties or semi-dynasties. More importantly, none of them played a single game past the 80ies, and the HHOF seems reluctant to admit netminders with low-ish game totals (Kiprusoff and Thomas comes to mind as borderline candidates with less than 700 games, and I suspect that's what will keep Tuukka Rask out too).
Not many goaltenders play more games than Hellebuyck. This isn't a discussion about a player whose career is over. I dont see many 29 year olds in the HOF. Obviously we are talking about if he us on track to get in. Not if he would get in if his career ended today.

Ghost of Murph

Dec 23, 2023
The criteria for a goalie getting into the HHOF are hard to pin down over the years. From what I can tell Hellebucyk needs to have a few more excellent seasons to be in consideration. Another Vezina would certainly help his case, as would a deep playoff run or two.

Goalie stats are very dependent on the team around them. Hellebucyk has found a way to remain awesome even when his team wasn't that spectacular. That to me should count for a lot. When it comes to goalies what HHOF voters think doesn't always make much sense. My guess is that as long as he is able to stay healthy for a few more seasons Hellebucyk will end up in the HHOF. He is an incredible goalie.

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
If he wins the Vezina that he is the front runner for this season, that would give him two wins while also having two additional finalist nominations.

If garbage like Fleury will get in, an actual great netminder like Hellebuyck should hypothetically have no issues.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I wish he was traded to New Jersey as I feel he’d have much higher odds of winning a Cup there.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
I already know I'm in the minority. I think at this point, Hellebuyck is a classic "Hall of Very Good" guy and his major HHOF selling points are "has a lot of wins" and "imagine what he could have done with better teams."

The player most like him in recent memory? Ryan Miller. Yeah, Hellebuyck has slightly better stats, but right now he's 17-23 all-time in the playoffs even with a trip to the WCF in 2018, and outside of the '18 playoffs his crowning playoff achievement is the 2021 sweep over Edmonton. Miller had 2 trips to the ECF in his career, ended up 25-22 and it's tough to say "wow, he really elevated his game when things mattered" outside of perhaps the 2010 Olympics.

Would a Cup help? Sure. Would a really strong playoff performance help? Absolutely. Otherwise, IMO you're arguing why Miller should be in the HHOF and then saying "well, what if he was a trophy finalist 1-2 more times, then what?"

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The criteria for a goalie getting into the HHOF are hard to pin down over the years. From what I can tell Hellebucyk needs to have a few more excellent seasons to be in consideration. Another Vezina would certainly help his case, as would a deep playoff run or two.

Goalie stats are very dependent on the team around them. Hellebucyk has found a way to remain awesome even when his team wasn't that spectacular. That to me should count for a lot. When it comes to goalies what HHOF voters think doesn't always make much sense. My guess is that as long as he is able to stay healthy for a few more seasons Hellebucyk will end up in the HHOF. He is an incredible goalie.

There are many things I don't expect to see or read here, and an avatar of Murph Chamberlain is one of them.

Reactions: Ghost of Murph

TropicOfNoReturn

May 30, 2021
If the Jets win and he gets the Smythe, then maybe. A couple Vezinas and a Smythe would merit consideration, even if he has to wait a few years more.
This is an interesting example of how goalies are viewed in relation to the Hall of Fame.

No defenseman with two Norris Trophies is not in the Hall of Fame (assuming Erik Karlsson gets in, which he of course will). Hell, only a single eligible (at the time of this writing) Norris winner is not in the Hall (Randy Carlyle).

Every single eligible Art Ross Trophy winner (regardless of number of wins) is in the Hall.

Yet, for a goalie, two Vezina's AND a Conn Smythe gets them "consideration"? That would be, or at least should be, an absolute lock. Only five goalies in history have accomplished this: Glenn Hall, Ken Dryden, Bernie Parent, Patrick Roy, and Tim Thomas (Thomas not being inducted yet is bizarre. He should absolutely be in, but I imagine it is politics and personal problems that are keeping him out)

Reactions: HolyHagelin

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Yet, for a goalie, two Vezina's AND a Conn Smythe gets them "consideration"? That would be, or at least should be, an absolute lock. Only five goalies in history have accomplished this: Glenn Hall, Ken Dryden, Bernie Parent, Patrick Roy, and Tim Thomas (Thomas not being inducted yet is bizarre. He should absolutely be in, but I imagine it is politics and personal problems that are keeping him out)
Tim Thomas didn't play 500 games and wasn't Ken Dryden.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
100%. he's the best, most consistent goalie of this generation

now if he falls off a cliff, maybe not, but carey price did due to injuries and he's still a virtual lock

i don't think a cup is the barrier - it's the lack of international resume (thanks gary). add a world cup/olympic (ha) appearance(s) as the starter for a medalling us team and that would do it, imo

Mad Dog Tannen

Apr 10, 2010
I already know I'm in the minority. I think at this point, Hellebuyck is a classic "Hall of Very Good" guy and his major HHOF selling points are "has a lot of wins" and "imagine what he could have done with better teams."

The player most like him in recent memory? Ryan Miller. Yeah, Hellebuyck has slightly better stats, but right now he's 17-23 all-time in the playoffs even with a trip to the WCF in 2018, and outside of the '18 playoffs his crowning playoff achievement is the 2021 sweep over Edmonton. Miller had 2 trips to the ECF in his career, ended up 25-22 and it's tough to say "wow, he really elevated his game when things mattered" outside of perhaps the 2010 Olympics.

Would a Cup help? Sure. Would a really strong playoff performance help? Absolutely. Otherwise, IMO you're arguing why Miller should be in the HHOF and then saying "well, what if he was a trophy finalist 1-2 more times, then what?"
Ryan miller hasn’t even been eligible to be inducted yet.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Interesting, I never realized that meeting at least one of those criterion was a prerequisite for being inducted into the Hall of Fame.
It isn't. The games played is just a very obvious cutoff mark that every post-expansion netminder meets, and the one netminder that doesn't meet that criteria is very obviously distinguishable from Thomas.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL

I don't think Miller is very similar at all. Miller had one great year, and was an average to above average starter every other year.

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Shots against: 1, 1, 1, 1, 3, 3, 3
GP: 1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3,
SV%: 2, 5, 7, 10

2nd in SV% among active goaltenders.

Every year since 2017, he's consistently faced the most shots and played the most games of any goaltender. Despite that, he still has the 2nd best SV% among active goaltenders. Speaks to his level of consistency and reliability.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
This is an interesting example of how goalies are viewed in relation to the Hall of Fame.

No defenseman with two Norris Trophies is not in the Hall of Fame (assuming Erik Karlsson gets in, which he of course will). Hell, only a single eligible (at the time of this writing) Norris winner is not in the Hall (Randy Carlyle).

Every single eligible Art Ross Trophy winner (regardless of number of wins) is in the Hall.

Thomas wasn't a HOF caliber goalie, and certainly not as good as his numbers. You shouldn't make the HOF just because you played under Julien behind Chara and Bergeron.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Simple question and as I really know the least about goalies I'm interested in what others have to say on this idea..

Simply put is he tracking to a HHOF career and if not what does he need?
Nope

Helle 276 wins

Curtis Joseph 454 wins

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Yes, easily. Soon to be 2 Vezinas, has a good shot at 400ish wins.

If Tom Barrasso can get in I don't see why Helle won't.

Reactions: hn777

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad