Is Charlie Coyle A Top Ten US Center

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Appears Coyle had his coming out party in this years PO. I think he is one of the top 10 US centers in the game. Possession beast and a responsible player
defensively.

Matthews
Eichel
Larkin
Trocheck
Pavelski
Nelson
Hayes
Johnson
Coyle
Stastny

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Fairly mediocre player who has one good post season, and is now viewed much higher than he should be is what this seems like.

Reactions: Merrrlin

Keeptdos

May 1, 2011
Finland
I mean Haula and Nino had better point totals after getting out of Wild's system. I'm intrigued to see how he does next season.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Its not an unreasonable take that he can be the top
US center. About the same as Coyle cracking top ten of US centers, though Coyle's are a bit better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Its not an unreasonable take that he can be the top
US center. About the same as Coyle cracking top ten of US centers, though Coyle's are a bit better.

I just don't see any path to Larkin being considered a better player than Eichel and Matthews and Hughes will pass him by his 2nd season probably.

Reactions: Merrrlin and JackFr

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Fairly mediocre player who has one good post season, and is now viewed much higher than he should be is what this seems like.

That one good post season ran all the way to The Stanley Cup Finals. To many games under the most pressure packed situations to be a fluke. Given the confidence boost it gave him and that he is now playing at home, I believe its more likely he will play much closer to his PO level than last years RS level. I expect his PPG to be .6 or slightly above and provide very good two way play.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I just don't see any path to Larkin being considered a better player than Eichel and Matthews and Hughes will pass him by his 2nd season probably.

There is a significant difference in Larkin's D game
and Eichel and Matthews. Yeah, Matthews
is a better goal scorer but Larkin is a better playmaker
than Matthews. Larkin to me closed the O gap with Eichel and Eichel is mediocre defensively. Much closer than you think.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There is a significant difference in Larkin's D game
and Eichel and Matthews. Yeah, Matthews
is a better goal scorer but Larkin is a better playmaker
than Matthews. Larkin to me closed the O gap with Eichel and Eichel is mediocre defensively. Much closer than you think.

I'll have to pay attention to Larkin a lot more this season.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
That one good post season ran all the way to The Stanley Cup Finals. To many games under the most pressure packed situations to be a fluke. Given the confidence boost it gave him and that he is now playing at home, I believe its more likely he will play much closer to his PO level than last years RS level. I expect his PPG to be .6 or slightly above and provide very good two way play.

Lots and lots of players in league history have a big playoff now and again, and then return to their regular form. Every single Stanley Cup Winner has non key guys come up huge when they win, most times it does not lead to them suddenly being much much better.

Reactions: JackFr

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll have to pay attention to Larkin a lot more this season.

Larkin took a massive step this past year, 73 pts (76 GP) while playing against everyone else's best lines all year, and we were terrible offensively outside of him, and couple others.

Reactions: Rebels57

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Lots and lots of players in league history have a big playoff now and again, and then return to their regular form. Every single Stanley Cup Winner has non key guys come up huge when they win, most times it does not lead to them suddenly being much much better.

Thats if you believe his production last RS is his norm and it isn't. He has had a career high .68 ppg so stating
he can hit between .6-.65 isn't outlandish. I also think
you are discounting the impact coming back home has had on him.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Always enjoy and appreciate the well thought out
3 letter responses.
I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke thread. I just never thought I'd see the day where someone would suggest Charlie Coyle is a top 10 American center based on one f***ing playoff run. I've watched him from the start of his career up until he was traded and nothing suggests he should be top 10 in anything. He has hot and cold streaks all the time! Hell, he had 6 points in 21 games for Boston in the regular season and 16 points in 24 games in the playoffs, meanwhile Donato put up 16 points in 22 games for Minnesota. Should we be making a thread about if Donato is a top 10 anything too?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Thats if you believe his production last RS is his norm and it isn't. He has had a career high .68 ppg so stating
he can hit between .6-.65 isn't outlandish. I also think
you are discounting the impact coming back home has had on him.
Season by season ppg during the regular season:

12-13: 0.38
13-14: 0.43
14-15: 0.43
15-16: 0.51
16-17: 0.68
17-18: 0.56
18-19: 0.42

One is a pretty clear statistical outlier. Majority range is around 0.40-0.45. Career is at 0.496.

I think you are over blowing the impact coming back home has had on him.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke thread. I just never thought I'd see the day where someone would suggest Charlie Coyle is a top 10 American center based on one ****ing playoff run. I've watched him from the start of his career up until he was traded and nothing suggests he should be top 10 in anything. He has hot and cold streaks all the time! Hell, he had 6 points in 21 games for Boston in the regular season and 16 points in 24 games in the playoffs, meanwhile Donato put up 16 points in 22 games for Minnesota. Should we be making a thread about if Donato is a top 10 anything too?
Season by season ppg during the regular season:

12-13: 0.38
13-14: 0.43
14-15: 0.43
15-16: 0.51
16-17: 0.68
17-18: 0.56
18-19: 0.42

One is a pretty clear statistical outlier. Majority range is around 0.40-0.45. Career is at 0.496.

I think you are over blowing the impact coming back home has had on him.
I'm sorry, I thought it was a joke thread. I just never thought I'd see the day where someone would suggest Charlie Coyle is a top 10 American center based on one ****ing playoff run. I've watched him from the start of his career up until he was traded and nothing suggests he should be top 10 in anything. He has hot and cold streaks all the time! Hell, he had 6 points in 21 games for Boston in the regular season and 16 points in 24 games in the playoffs, meanwhile Donato put up 16 points in 22 games for Minnesota. Should we be making a thread about if Donato is a top 10 anything too?

Go ask Boston fans if they want to reverse the trade.
You'll be laughed off the Boston board.

Your never thought line is a joke. Why don't you tell
me your list of top 20 US centers so we can actually
discuss where he fits instead of the non-sense you're peddling.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Go ask Boston fans if they want to reverse the trade.
You'll be laughed off the Boston board.

Your never thought line is a joke. Why don't you tell
me your list of top 20 US centers so we can actually
discuss where he fits instead of the non-sense you're peddling.
Well duh, he just helped them reach the Cup Finals. You completely missed the point that a small sample size means absolutely nothing hence the question of should we be starting a thread on if Donato is a top 10 anything because of his 22 (!) games in Minnesota. The answer is no we shouldn't and it's the same answer as if there should be a thread on if Coyle is a top 10 American center.

No particular order, just better than Coyle:

Eichel
Matthews
Larkin
Pavelski
Nelson
Johnson
Stastny
White
Stepan
Trocheck
Hayes

Debatables:
Bonino
Dvorak
(probably others)

You should also note that the season where Coyle put up 56 points he wasn't even playing center. His line had Staal as the center and Nino as the left winger.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well duh, he just helped them reach the Cup Finals. You completely missed the point that a small sample size means absolutely nothing hence the question of should we be starting a thread on if Donato is a top 10 anything because of his 22 (!) games in Minnesota. The answer is no we shouldn't and it's the same answer as if there should be a thread on if Coyle is a top 10 American center.

No particular order, just better than Coyle:

Eichel
Matthews
Larkin
Pavelski
Nelson
Johnson
Stastny
White
Stepan
Trocheck
Hayes

Debatables:
Bonino
Dvorak
(probably others)

You should also note that the season where Coyle put up 56 points he wasn't even playing center. His line had Staal as the center and Nino as the left winger.
Coyle was only on the line for a while. Coyle got moved around that season, just like almost every season when he was with the Wild. Oh, and Nelson isn't a C, or at least not much of one. I'll take Coyle over him any day. White...kind of early to make any kind of call on him. Same with Dvorak, but even more so. Hayes...let's see about him. He sure didn't kill it in WPG.

Coyle is by no means an elite player, but he has a couple of near elite tools, and is a good two way player. I think what bugs Wild fans is that he gave glimpses of some near great play during stretches of games, then disappeared during others. He tends to be passive...nice guy, but passive.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Coyle was only on the line for a while. Coyle got moved around that season, just like almost every season when he was with the Wild. Oh, and Nelson isn't a C, or at least not much of one. I'll take Coyle over him any day. White...kind of early to make any kind of call on him. Same with Dvorak, but even more so. Hayes...let's see about him. He sure didn't kill it in WPG.

Coyle is by no means an elite player, but he has a couple of near elite tools, and is a good two way player. I think what bugs Wild fans is that he gave glimpses of some near great play during stretches of games, then disappeared during others. He tends to be passive...nice guy, but passive.
Saying Nelson isn’t a center is like saying Coyle is a left winger. Lead his team in faceoffs, doubled the faceoffs Coyle took this past season. Try again.

White and Dvorak are right around the same points that Coyle put up.

Hayes is better than Coyle. 4 of 5 seasons with 42 or more points. Coyle has only broken 40 points 2 of 6 seasons (disregarding 12-13 for shortened season).

This whole thread started because Coyle went on one of his hot streaks. OP completely disregards that Coyle only had 2+4 in the 21 regular season games (23pt 82 game pace). Hot streak meet cold streak.

I’ll take the greater sample size as an indicator instead of one hot streak that lead to a Cup Finals appearance. 500 games vs 24 games.

Coyle was the definition of big and shows flashes. The majority of the time he got away with disappearing because he was big and he was our only right winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad