Is Chad Johnson the real deal? A legit starter?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
He was stuck behind Rask and had a great year, had a poor year behind Halak, and then was the starter in Buffalo by default and had a solid year. Hasn't gotten much chance to shine. Statistically in his career he's a solid goalie, just so happens to be getting his chance and so far he is running with it.

Is it going to continue? Dunno. I would not be surprised if he becomes full fledged starter. I would not be surprised if he is just a 1B or elite backup. But either way, he is a great goalie.

The guy has played for five teams in the last five years. If he's half as good as you claim, how come teams never offer him a new contract?

He's a back up, and a mediocre one. He's having a good stretch right now, but career back ups don't become NHL starters at age 30. It just doesn't happen.

the paisanos guy

the hell do i know about cooking a shirt?
Dec 6, 2010
Every year some aging back up goaltender puts up decent numbers without playing a starter's # of games and every year people ask if he's the real deal. I've never seen the answer turn out to be yes.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Every year some aging back up goaltender puts up decent numbers without playing a starter's # of games and every year people ask if he's the real deal. I've never seen the answer turn out to be yes.

Pretty much..

I remember when Condon and Hammond were the talk of the league.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He wasn't all that good in Boston. Just a typical back up. He's great at letting wraparounds in.

His numbers in Boston were fantastic, I don't know how any goalie that "wasn't that good" that puts up a .925 sv% and 2.10 GAA in 27 games. I'm not saying his numbers couldn't have been somewhat inflated but those are fantastic numbers and you need to be better than a "typical backup" to put them up.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
To be fair Dubnyk was a mediocre goalie aswell then randomly became good, so who knows.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Pretty much..

I remeber when Condon and Hammond were the talk of the league.

He's doing good so far but let's see if he can keep it up as the season goes on.
As already pointed out this is his 3rd season in the last 4 with numbers similar to this. I'm not sure why that is so difficult for people to wrap their minds around. I'm not saying he is going to be a #1 guy, but it's hard to deny the numbers when he has done it with 3 different teams.

Dertell

Jul 14, 2015
Dubnyk
Talbot
Bishop
Anderson

I'm not saying it'll happen, but get real.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Some goalies excel in certain systems. Could be that CJ just does well in the Flames/Gulutzans system in particular. Although, his career numbers show this isn't a new trend for him.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
Some goalies excel in certain systems. Could be that CJ just does well in the Flames/Gulutzans system in particular. Although, his career numbers show this isn't a new trend for him.

He was impressive last night. Our kids generated a ton of chances but he wasn't having it.
Also notice the similarities between J.G and Marner? J.G plays with a longer stick than Marner so J.G is better dangeling at reach while Marner has Kane like hands in tight.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
He is an excellent backup and a decent average starter.

I don't know if goalies are stronger this year or players are shooting more, but the SV% is .010 higher than last season.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
He's shown streaks his whole career. He could be a late bloomer like some others we've seen lately, but I expect he'll fall back down to earth.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Hes a great back up and jealous Calgary got him. He was best one on the market. Hes on a hot streak right now but even his career average numbers are still good.

If Calgary was smart theyd dump Elliott and go with Johnston. Or atleast ride Johnston this year for 40 more games and see if hes legit and make decision after that

Talbot was 27 when he was putting up insane numbers with Rangers and people thought he could be flash in the pan. Came to Edmonton and has been a dynamite #1 ever since, so for Johnson it could happen as well

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Dubnyk
Talbot
Bishop
Anderson

I'm not saying it'll happen, but get real.

Talbot had great numbers with the Rangers his entire tenure there, and played great when he got more games in his 2nd season(when Hank got injured), so I wouldn't exactly call him "coming out of nowhere" unless it's in regards to not being drafted.

KGM

Oct 10, 2014

Except he was the starter for Buffalo last year, playing 45 of their games. In those 45 games, he had starter numbers (.920SV%, 2.36GAA) and a winning record (22-16-4).

As for an aging backup turning into a starter... Johnson is 1 year older than Talbot, who just became a starter last season.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Pretty much..

I remeber when Condon and Hammond were the talk of the league.

Except Condon and Hammond were around, what? 24 and 26 when they did this? CJ is 29 now and seems to have history putting up numbers like this. Who knows, maybe Condon and Hammond surprises everyone in 3-4 years.

He was good for the first 20 or so games.

Johnson does this, and then comes back to earth. I hope he keeps it up though.

This observation I respect. This makes sense. I would love to see if CJ has improved enough to go beyond the 20 games. He'd still make a fantastic back up even if he can't steal a starter job.

Is CJ legit? IMO there's enough evidence that supports it. Let's see if he can sustain it now.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00