Is Chad Johnson the real deal? A legit starter?

Kronwalled8*

Jul 30, 2014
6 wins in his last 8 games, 3 being shutouts. You look back in his career and he's actually put up some really decent numbers with his best as a Sabre last year playing 45 games. Backups don't play 45 games a year lol. I see him playing 55-60 games this year, which is unheard of for a backup. I think this guy is too good to be a backup. But we also know that Elliot wants the net.

Right now, he has taken over as the starter for the Flames and the talk of the town. He's in for a huge payday if he keeps this play up. Watch the Flames in front of him and they play well. Watch the Flames in front of Elliot and they leave him out to dry.

If things stay this way and Johnson ends up playing 60+ games this year and maintaining his .930SV %, I see Elliot walking at the end of the year as a UFA and the Flames signing Johnson to a long term deal. Make Gillies the back up going forward.

Nobody saw this coming, we all thought that Johnson would be the backup and Elliot would take over behind the flames net. Flames had arguably the worst goaltending last season and it's nice to see that they now have two solid goalies to go to each game. Because goaltending kill their season last year, if it wasn't for that, they would have made the playoffs.

When the Flames signed him, I thought he was just another average joe, dime a dozen back up but he's actually very good. He's got very quick lateral movement post to post and kinda reminds me of Kiprusoff. But I just cant tell if he's a late comer (he is already 30) or if he's just on a hot streak.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He's the real deal, but it's a long season. A .930 is unsustainable for just about any human unless they are Carey Price, who is probably not even a human. Elliott's struggles are just as unsustainable.

I'm glad to have some goaltending this year though.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He'll come back down to earth I am sure, hopefully by then Elliott will be in a groove of his own.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
I expect him to be around .920 to end the year as our starter. I've said since the start that he has.potential to be a difference maker when given the chance. Ben Bishop style. Maybe not as good as him but he's a starter.

KingJoffrey

Jan 30, 2014
All NHL goalies are very good. In the world scale he's probably ~45 best goalie in the world. But to answer to your question he's just a career backup who is on hot streak.

Last edited:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Career backup on a hot streak.

Real deal just like Andrew "The Hamburger" Hammond.

Just to point it out. Johnson's "hot streak" has lasted 57 games over the course of two season. His save percentage (.922) is only .002 better than last year and his GAA (2.23) is only 0.13 better than last year; and his current numbers are still not as good as he had in 27 games with the Bruins. With having good numbers in Boston, Buffalo and now Calgary, it appears his time with the Islanders was the blip on the radar more so than his current play or his play with Boston and Buffalo.

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
I doubt it's sustainable, but regardless, the guy is a great backup. Odds are his numbers will regress some.

On the plus side, the odds are also in favour of Elliott's numbers improving significantly, so it should all balance out.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Just to point it out. Johnson's "hot streak" has lasted 57 games over the course of two season. His save percentage (.922) is only .002 better than last year and his GAA (2.23) is only 0.13 better than last year; and his current numbers are still not as good as he had in 27 games with the Bruins. With having good numbers in Boston, Buffalo and now Calgary, it appears his time with the Islanders was the blip on the radar more so than his current play or his play with Boston and Buffalo.

He wasn't all that good in Boston. Just a typical back up. He's great at letting wraparounds in.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I heard a crazy stat BEFORE last nights game. In the last 13 months that the leader in NHL save percentage is.... Chad Johnson, playing on the Flames and Sabres. Pretty impressive. He just makes difficult saves look easy right now because he's in such good position. Hometown kid takes over starters role at 29. Great story.

I don't think it will last all season though. Just like I doubt Brian Elliot continued his poor play.

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
He’s no Evander Holyfield but he is capable of being a bottom ranking starter in this league.

I just don't think you will go very far with him unless you have an otherwise all-star team.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
He wasn't all that good in Boston. Just a typical back up. He's great at letting wraparounds in.

he had a slow start that year in boston, but I thought he was really good overall.

Ive only seen him play once this year (against Boston).
Looked really sharp and confident.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
6 wins in his last 8 games, 3 being shutouts. You look back in his career and he's actually put up some really decent numbers with his best as a Sabre last year playing 45 games. Backups don't play 45 games a year lol. I see him playing 55-60 games this year, which is unheard of for a backup. I think this guy is too good to be a backup. But we also know that Elliot wants the net.

Right now, he has taken over as the starter for the Flames and the talk of the town. He's in for a huge payday if he keeps this play up. Watch the Flames in front of him and they play well. Watch the Flames in front of Elliot and they leave him out to dry.

If things stay this way and Johnson ends up playing 60+ games this year and maintaining his .930SV %, I see Elliot walking at the end of the year as a UFA and the Flames signing Johnson to a long term deal. Make Gillies the back up going forward.

Nobody saw this coming, we all thought that Johnson would be the backup and Elliot would take over behind the flames net. Flames had arguably the worst goaltending last season and it's nice to see that they now have two solid goalies to go to each game. Because goaltending kill their season last year, if it wasn't for that, they would have made the playoffs.

When the Flames signed him, I thought he was just another average joe, dime a dozen back up but he's actually very good. He's got very quick lateral movement post to post and kinda reminds me of Kiprusoff. But I just cant tell if he's a late comer (he is already 30) or if he's just on a hot streak.

In the history of the NHL, how many times has a career back up at age 30 suddenly become a starter?

Think about that. Then think about sample size.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
In the history of the NHL, how many times has a career back up at age 30 suddenly become a starter?

Think about that. Then think about sample size.

He was stuck behind Rask and had a great year, had a poor year behind Halak, and then was the starter in Buffalo by default and had a solid year. Hasn't gotten much chance to shine. Statistically in his career he's a solid goalie, just so happens to be getting his chance and so far he is running with it.

Is it going to continue? Dunno. I would not be surprised if he becomes full fledged starter. I would not be surprised if he is just a 1B or elite backup. But either way, he is a great goalie.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Last night showed me that this guy is in the freaking zone. His movements are just so small and efficient and they're making all the big saves. He looked like Price last night, honestly. Just flurries of shots around him yet he's calm, perfect positionally and making efficient movements. This save at 1:54 was a beaut, probably had 2 more that were just as big but he made them look routine.

http://www.tsn.ca/johnson-stops-39-as-flames-shut-out-leafs-1.620875

Sucks he's already 30, but I'm hoping he can thrive playing 40+ more games. I'm just glad Elliot isn't making $5m that's being forced to sit. Makes starting CJ that much easier.

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Honestly though, he can't be worse than Elliot. He has been given chance after chance to be a starter and he just keeps getting outplayed by the backup.

Neither are a long term answer for the Flames though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad