Is captaincy of the Lightning become a meaningless position?

ultra63

Feb 27, 2008
VL4, who made major contributions to Tampa Bay, was unceremoniously bought out as his contract no longer justified his play. 26 six months after being named Captain demanded to be traded as his personal concerns were more important than being Captain of the team. His Protegé and friend became the next Captain. 91 is now waiting to see who will pay him $12 million a year this summer. When was the last time that the players held a players only meeting? Who will be the next Captain and for how long? SFY should be the Captain of the team not the general manager

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
VL4, who made major contributions to Tampa Bay, was unceremoniously bought out as his contract no longer justified his play. 26 six months after being named Captain demanded to be traded as his personal concerns were more important than being Captain of the team. His Protegé and friend became the next Captain. 91 is now waiting to see who will pay him $12 million a year this summer. When was the last time that the players held a players only meeting? Who will be the next Captain and for how long? SFY should be the Captain of the team not the general manager

I think if stamkos leaves hedman becomes captain

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I'd love to see Hedman get the C because he basically acts like our captain now. The only thing I fear is that his play is effected by the C. Look what happened to Stammer, he gets the C and tries to be a playmaker and changes his game a bit rather than shooting the puck from anywhere every time. Could be a lot of pressure for a young player coming into his game

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I'd love to see Hedman get the C because he basically acts like our captain now. The only thing I fear is that his play is effected by the C. Look what happened to Stammer, he gets the C and tries to be a playmaker and changes his game a bit rather than shooting the puck from anywhere every time. Could be a lot of pressure for a young player coming into his game

Hedman lets his play do the talking, Stamkos doesn't there's the difference. Hedman already does everything the team needs, doesn't really have to alter anything, unlike Stamkos's playstyle.

Major4Boarding

Unfamiliar Moderator
Jan 30, 2009
South of Heaven

To answer some of the questions raised here:

Last "known" Players-Only Meeting was after going down 0-2 against the Habs, Round 1, in 2013-14.

Is captaincy of the Lightning become a meaningless position?

The entire history of this franchise and its Captains, well the bar was set pretty low long, long ago.

Paul Ysebaert - Because naming him Captain had to be the "enticement" to come from a Playoff-contending Hawks team to the lowly Lightning in the Savard trade, right? :sarcasm:

Bill Houlder - Funny guy. His jokes and commercials just commanded that he be the Captain... till they waived him (while still Captain) and claimed by Nashville. A mere 3 months after he was traded here for his second tour. Just wasn't "fast enough", so sayeth Pokemon Dudley.

Mikael Renberg - Able to convert oxygen to carbon dioxide, obvious choice!

Rob Zamuner - Lead by example... no, really. He did.

Chris Gratton - Poor Grats. Gets it by default after Houlder is waived and then he gets traded to Buffalo that same season. Guess ol' Ludzik and Dudley had seen enough when Vinny wore the C while Gratton was injured. Or maybe Petr Svoboda told them to shove it when offered to him. "C stands for Cursed!"

Vinny (Twice, technically 3 times - see above) - Lead by example... no, really. He did.

#25 - The Only True Captain This Franchise Has Had

Tim Taylor - Old Fart Vet and NHLPA Player Rep for the Lightning. The Tool Man. "Captain" Wrap Around. He was the team's PA Rep so it made sense. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Captaincy itself has always been kind of meaningless, or at least overrated. I'd rather not give the C to Hedman. Seems like whenever we give it to our best player it messes them up, and then you're afraid to take it away and mess them up more. Just give it to Callahan or something.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
#25 - The Only True Captain This Franchise Has Had

Yeah Matt Carle has been a true leader hasn't he :sarcasm:

This glorious man is our leader:
12304097_10153561238022819_666358779546478435_o.jpg

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Well it seems like Captains may have a very short shelf life - getting the C leads to trades, buy outs, etc.

I think we should give it to Carle.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Well it seems like Captains may have a very short shelf life - getting the C leads to trades, buy outs, etc.

Maybe if we subtract the C from his back and move it to the front he'll play like an entirely different person. Matt Arle, the amazing defenseman

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Maybe if Hedman was captain Coop would finally play him 25+ minutes every night.
The lame reason I keep hearing is because Coop doesn't want to over play players and tire them out since they had such a loooooooong season last year. Its stupid. Give Hedman and Stralman AT LEAST 20 minutes a game. Stop giving them to Carle and Sustr

Why not Callahan? He was captain of NYR
I'd rather see the a Bolt draftee get it, Hedman has been with the team and grown with the team. Cally has been on the decline and needs to get going.

Brilliant!!!

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'd rather see the a Bolt draftee get it, Hedman has been with the team and grown with the team. Cally has been on the decline and needs to get going.

In all honesty, The entire team needs to get going in the scoring department that is but he has been hitting hard and blocking shots, along with the effort and heart he puts on the ice and his influence on younger players. Those were some of the major reasons he got the "C" with NY. He did not have his best offensive year till after he got the "C" which he had tied last season. As per this season, I give Coop some of the blame for his point production.

Anyway think Cally would make a strong case to be the next captain if Stamkos leaves.

Last edited:

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Here is my solution:
VL4 retires and takes over Captain#25 job (VP community relations)
Captain#25 takes new job on coaching staff with title Captain Emeritus, power play
Run with 3 'A' in the game, Hedman, , Cally, Boyle

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Here is my solution:
VL4 retires and takes over Captain#25 job (VP community relations)
Captain#25 takes new job on coaching staff with title Captain Emeritus, power play
Run with 3 'A' in the game, Hedman, , Cally, Boyle

I would be all for that. All 3 guys have deserved the "A".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad