Is Bryan Rust a Top 6 winger?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I was wondering how many people think Bryan Rust is a top 6 winger? He seems lost out there with Crosby and Guenztel and still only has 1 assist (no goals) on the year. Yet when he is with Brassard or in the bottom six he looks much much better.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I was wondering how many people think Bryan Rust is a top 6 winger? He seems lost out there with Crosby and Guenztel and still only has 1 assist (no goals) on the year. Yet when he is with Brassard or in the bottom six he looks much much better.

He is a low end top 6 winger. Plays well on all lines pretty much except with Sid. It’s just a chemistry thing with those 2. Sid doesn’t really suffer with Rust there but Rust does. He likes to go where Sid goes but has to defer obviously when he’s on Sid’s line.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
They need to find a place for him thats not there. He is being wasted and at the same time the first line is just not clicking at all. He is the depth the team needs but when he is bumped up that depth is gone

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Rust is streaky. He goes quiet in terms of offence for prolonged stretches pretty regularly and that's not always related to being with Sid.

But in terms of overall effect over the season? A top 6 winger without doubt over the last two seasons and hopefully continuing on.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yes. A complementary top 6 winger who should never be a) the main offensive winger on a line or b) with Sidney Crosby under any conditions.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Rust is streaky. He goes quiet in terms of offence for prolonged stretches pretty regularly and that's not always related to being with Sid.

But in terms of overall effect over the season? A top 6 winger without doubt over the last two seasons and hopefully continuing on.

True but even when he’s streaky he’s had more of a presence than he does now. I just don’t think he can keep up mentally with sid and Jake

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I wouldn't have re-signed him. Despite his sorta useful playoff goals. Could have had two players. He's olderish and barely finding success. Pass.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I wouldn't have re-signed him. Despite his sorta useful playoff goals. Could have had two players. He's olderish and barely finding success. Pass.

;)

MadUnconsciousIbis-small.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He’s a tweener who fits somewhere around the middle six. Way better with Malkin than Crosby.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
35 ES points, which has been his pace the last 2 seasons, is pretty normal production for a top 6 wing.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
He's ideally a catalyst on a 3rd/4th line or complimentary guy on a 1st/2nd line (as long as he has chemistry with his linemates....)

But he's an incredibly useful player and for his price you're not finding 2 players that are more effective, let alone one.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Nope
I think he is most effective on a 3rd line. I think he somewhat in between a 2- and a 3+ if it makes any sense
We could get away with him playing on a top 6 role for 30 or so games, but he won't be as effective as he would be on a great 3rd line and destroying the opposition's 3rd line

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
He's third liner who can be moved up to the top six if need be. However, he lacks the finishing ability for full time duty there. Connor Brown is a good comparable for him.

Reactions: Andy99

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He's ideally a catalyst on a 3rd/4th line or complimentary guy on a 1st/2nd line (as long as he has chemistry with his linemates....)

But he's an incredibly useful player and for his price you're not finding 2 players that are more effective, let alone one.

Tell me, how is he useful?

He isn't very fast. Has non-existent hands.

His usefulness was a RW plug who could maybe PK and he was cheap and got a few points.

He's Hagelin. Without the skill. (Hags is also kinda terrible and has a terrible contract, so, the comparison is quite apt actually).

At half his salary, sure, cool. He's priced himself into a different tier that he doesn't belong.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

His usefulness was a RW plug who could maybe PK and he was cheap and got a few points.

He's Hagelin. Without the skill.

At half his salary, sure, cool. He's priced himself into a different tier that he doesn't belong.

Check playoff production. Check on pace for regular season numbers.
Check your TV or monitor when he is on for a course correct wrt. speed. Seriously, what are you on about with him not being fast???

No, Rust is not a natural top 6 forward. He is a middle 6 winger who can do well on the top 6 if the fits are right. He is also a very good PK'er.

Reactions: BHD and Beauner

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh

He's Hagelin. Without the skill. (Hags is also kinda terrible and has a terrible contract, so, the comparison is quite apt actually).

I'd say he's got some wheels on him. You also literally compared him to Hagelin so..

He's responsible, makes smart decisions (except when playing with 87) and is the Penguins' desired style of play personified. Quick, chasing down pucks, winning battles and basically giving the other team fits on the forecheck.

It's also not really quntifyable but he shows up in big games. Clutch goals galore from the guy

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Unfortunately, Rust has shown good chemistry with most every center he's not currently playing with. So the right question isn't "is he a top 6 winger", it's who he should be playing with. I'd rather him on LW than RW with Sid, and I don't particularly like him at LW.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

What! He’s one of our fastest players.

5th in ES scoring last season (would be 4th if not injured). On pace for 45 points.

Very good defensively. Carries the puck well. Great skater. Versatile.

2nd in ES playoff goals over the last 3 years.

Not a great start to the year but I’ll judge him off a much bigger sample size.

Reactions: BladeRunner66

ziggyjoe212

Oct 2, 2017

I think you're talking about a different Bryan Rust?
Throughout his career Rust has been a 20g/40 point pace guy. One of his biggest assets is his speed and tenacity. He plays RW but can play LW too.
I believe you mean to say Hags is a poor man's Rust? Hags is a great 3rd liner but he's offense is non existent. Rust may not be as fast as Hags (no one is) but Rust is clearly superior in every other aspect of hockey. Plus he's a playoff warrior.

In 2018, a well rounded 40 point 2nd/3rd liner will cost you $4m a year. And that's exactly what Rust is. His contract is fair.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

This has to be a troll post. :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad