Is Brock Nelson the most dangerous Islander?

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
OKAY, before everybody freaks out let me say this.

John Tavares is my favorite Islander, favorite player, the face of this franchise, and the best player on this team. I fully expect him to finish with the most points on this team (barring he remains healthy).

With this said, I think Brock Nelson is becoming the Islanders most dangerous player. His size and effortless skating stride is really what sets him apart for me. Offensively, he's an absolute puck hound who uses his body to get the puck and then keep the puck. I've seen him make slick, behind the back passes, go to the front of the net, and snipe.

Defensively, he has no problem being the first forward back which has been huge for us and can even kill penalties. What can this kid not do at a high level?

Having him down the middle lining up behind Tavares is going to be huge for this team.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
After Tavares? Maybe. He is opening up this season like a guy with "elite status" in his future. He is also doing everything possible to permanently end the Nelson vs. Strome 2nd line center debate.

He reminds me a little of Brent Sutter.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Tavares is the most skilled player on this team, and is dominant because of his hockey sense, where as Nelson can flat out dominate you physically.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
There is no doubt in my mind that by the end of this year, everybody will know who Brock Nelson is.

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
2a7ab0y.jpg

Flair19Woo

Nov 10, 2006

John Tavares is my favorite Islander, favorite player, the face of this franchise, and the best player on this team. I fully expect him to finish with the most points on this team (barring he remains healthy).

With this said, I think Brock Nelson is becoming the Islanders most dangerous player. His size and effortless skating stride is really what sets him apart for me. Offensively, he's an absolute puck hound who uses his body to get the puck and then keep the puck. I've seen him make slick, behind the back passes, go to the front of the net, and snipe.

Defensively, he has no problem being the first forward back which has been huge for us and can even kill penalties. What can this kid not do at a high level?

Having him down the middle lining up behind Tavares is going to be huge for this team.

He'll need to work on his puck possession skills on the rush. He's getting his points in front of the net, which is great, but to be the most dangerous he needs to create his own space, keep possession and drive around d-men better. Best thing is he's on the up and up and is only in his 2nd year.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
Obviously JT is our most dangerous player, but Nelson seems like he is going to be a good one for sure... Kevin Connolly announced that draft pick after a trade up for that pick.... going to make Garth Snow look very good

Paulinho

No Man's Sky
Jun 8, 2003
Earth
Redicoulous question. No he is not, that would be John Tavares and you know that so why ask this? JT faces every teams top defensive units night in and night out you think teams are going to start shifting their attention to Nelson instead and put their second Units on JT? No I didn't think so. It's been two games man relax.

KnishOfTheCrease

Chez Pierre Enthusiast
Oct 8, 2010
Las Vegas
He's not quite up there yet. I think some of his scoring fortune is coming from Boychuk finding his knee & foot. It helps that he's big enough to be a physical presence in front of the net.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
JT is easily my favorite hockey player, but Brock has become my favorite Islander...kinda OT but anyone else here think it'd be a good idea to get his jersey? I love him, and while I would want a JT jersey, everyone has it.

bigtim1988

YES! YES! YES! YES!
Jun 7, 2009
long island

i said last season that he kinda reminds me of Jagr in that regard--a big body that skates very well. now, when i say that, i dont mean that hes going to be the player Jagr was in his career, but he is definitely is going to be a VERY good player for us

more of a threat than tavares? maybe in the sense that other teams dont expect nelson to be as good as he is offensively, but not the same overall threat Tavares is. I believe Brock will emerge as the 2nd or 3rd best offensive player on this team, with a good two way game, but the way JT sees the ice is on a whole nother level

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Not to take anything away from Nelson but it's only been two games. Let's see if he can keep this up first before we crown him.

MaryChristine*

Jt #1 always
Super Happy with brocks performances.. He defintely deserves the attention.

CLUTTERSTACHE*

dont care what anybody says, he is an absolute stud. stop being so cautious about our players, the guy is legit. strome will get there soon too. we are legit, brock is legit, stanley cup here we come. srs.

giddy up*

John Tavares is on the team.

Delete this thread before the shame gets any worse.

First Blood

The Greiss Is Right!
Feb 17, 2014
Bradenton, FL
I love Brock, and he's on pace for an outstanding season but we cannot get so full of ourselves. CAR is a bottom 3 team with all of the injuries they have had.

I think these next 3 games against NYR, SJ, and PITT will be a huge indicator on how well our Islanders can compete against arguably better teams.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Silly post even with the poor caveat. However, Brock Nelson is certainly on track for developing into an excellent top 6 and the extra year he has had over Strome is obvious. I only hope Strome is playing on this level next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad