Is Brian Gionta proof that there should be some job security for older players in the NHL?

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
Lol at all of the countless Bruins’ fans that said he wouldn’t play and he was only going to be a 13/14th forward for them.

Let me guess, now all of those people will deny saying that??
No. He's played 2 games before the bruins start playing every other day for the rest of the season. He'll still be playing behind bergeron, heinen, wingels, the fourth line and maybe Ryan donato or Trent Frederic.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Then, you have a list of 31 players right?

I'm sure after you produce this list, you'll also have a compelling case that all 31 should be in the NHL.

And if you have a list of 31 players, you can also re-examine why this is an issue to begin with
Why does it have to be 31? Why does it have to be 38? You are just trying to kill an argument.

There are more than enough of 35+ players. I am particularily will not make a list for you because of your approach, but there are easily 15+. Not every team needs to have them.

OP has the obvious problem of the battle of the extremes. There are good older players? Let's more or less force teams to have them. Not fair, not going to work.

The situation is still there. The cap(I hate) is affecting the league just as expected. It makes it boring for me. Fight all you want, it is what it is to me. And the cap forces older players out in favour of younger guys many of which aren't any good. They're just cheap.

The league is still no charity organization for senior citizens.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
So you're telling me i could still play in the NHL someday?

Maybe someone signs me when im 38. Im a great locker room guy.

Cats2TheCup

Oct 27, 2011
Miami, Fl
Most people were shocked when the Bruins signed 39 year old Brian Gionta to a contract just a few Days ago. Some even tried to ridicule the Bruins move. But after 2 games Gionta has put up 3 Points, showing everybody that he wasn't done and still belongs in the NHL.

But that's the whole problem. Brian Gionta still wanted to play hockey in the NHL this season, but nobody would give him a contract before the season started. And it's not like Gionta was done either as he managed to put up 35 Points last season. Well at least Gionta managed to get a "lucky break" and got one last chance to play hockey in the NHL. But everybody isn't so lucky. Jarome Iginla wanted to play this season too, but nobody would sign him. Same thing with Shane Doan.

This makes me think that the NHL is in need of a way to protect older players job opportunities, so that teams don't replace them with young talentless plugs who'll never end up as regular NHL:ers anyway, just to save a few bucks. So having a system were every NHL team must employ atleast 1 player over the age of say 38 or 39, might be a good way for useful older players to still find a job in the NHL, if they want to play. This way the superstars have a way to add to their legacies without a risk of getting kicked out of the League before they're actually done. And with hockey getting less physical and training and neutrition taking big steps forward, there will be plenty of 38+ year old players who could still be impactful NHL players.

I say keep political correctness out of sports and let the best man win. It is after all a COMPETITIVE sport.

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
I think its a form of discrimination to be forced to sign a player because of his age when there is no contract or interest between team and player
And further to that, for all we know Team X may have offered him a contract but he turned it for whatever reason...

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I don't think you can REQUIRE teams to have players of a certain age. But if you truly wanted to do something like you propose. You could incentivice teams by making a player of a certain age or above CAP exempt (up to a million dollars). Therefore, a team could sign a veteran player for 1mil and not have it count towards the CAP. The roster limit would still prevent teams from completely loading up with CAP free vets.

Only Boston (Chara) would benefit from this :laugh:

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
This is typical over legislative "make enough rules and everything will be perfect" Canadian thinking

NOTHING is perfect, and you can't make laws to make everything in life "fair"

Reactions: dk2k

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
It's the forum mentality. It follows suit with the " if your not putting up 50 points in your rookie career your a busy that needs a reclamation trade"

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
IMO the NHL should expand the roster to allow 2-3 more players.
Not sure if the Players Association would be on board but it would create more jobs.
In fact I think this should be done in every professional sport. This case we wouldn't have to worry as much about injury replacements either. However those extra players shouldn't have to just sit in the press box.

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
1. That idea is absolutely insane.
2. Two games coming in fresh on a surging team isn't enough to say he "still has it"
3. If 31 GM's don't think the salary an older player is requesting is worth it, or don't have a place for them to fit into the system then they don't get a contract, just like any other player.

4. I just realized this is a Mulletman thread after typing 1-3......

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
Poor Brian Gionta, only made $51M in his career as a mostly run-of-the mill top 6 player. The league should have a strict rule to guarantee jobs to the oldtimers who can't adjust to life after the NHL or give up their seats on the private jets so that the younger, faster prospects who played junior for free and make $50k/year in the AHL can continue humping it out on the team bus.

Nobody ever told Gionta or Iginla they couldn't play hockey anymore. They are not entitled to anything. If they want to play hockey, they can try out minor pro or rec hockey like everyone else.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Pretty sure Gionta didn’t sign earlier because he wanted to go to the Olympics... so maybe this thread is based on a silly premise.

In fact that's exactly what he said to (i believe) Liam McHugh in a in studio interview. That two teams expressed interest earlier in the season, but he wanted to wait to see if he was selected to go to the Olympics. He was able to go, and then sign with a team afterwards.
Win/Win for Gionta. :dunno:

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
There is a rule in mathematics (optimization) that goes like this:

Addition of constraints will never help to produce a better solution.

If no GM wants to sign 40yo vets, then it is their time to retire. If that kind of signings would make the team better, there is no GM that would refuse to do those.

iginlafan77

Dec 5, 2014
Taking 38 and older as our cutoff, these NHL players from this year have at least some argument of being NHL regulars:
Joe Thornton
Patrick marleau
Chris Kunitz
Zdeno Chara
Matt Cullen
Jason Chimera
Jaromir Jagr
Roberto Luongo
No player over this age has played anything close to a full AHL season, and no Canadian or American over this age has played in the KHL.

No one from the Canadian Olympic team is 38.
No Canadian 38 or older played at the Spengler cup or any other Canadian pre-Olympic tournament.

Gionta is the only one from the American Olympic team.

Assuming all these players are NHL caliber, which is a stretch for some, we’re 20+ players short.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad