Is Brian Gionta proof that there should be some job security for older players in the NHL?

maxbme

Jan 13, 2016
He's been decent. I think he had a nice audition but I'd rather see him used sparingly going forward to stay fresh to step in for injuries. Pretty confident most other bottom 6 guys are better, but he is doing fine in his role.

LuGBuG

Quack Quack
Mar 16, 2006
Ducks
I didn’t read who posted it then when I was finished I chuckled and said that sounds like MulletMan....and sure enough

ShonSaunders

May 18, 2012
Babylon
So how many minutes would a coach be required to play these players? It wouldn’t make sense to have a team be required to sign a player, only to have that player sit on the bench the whole game right? I don’t see how your proposal could pose any problems. After all, I wouldn’t mind seeing the quality of my team diluted as long as it gives an aging, wealthy athlete the opportunity to show he’s still got it. Also, we can all sleep better at night knowing that guys like Gionta and Iginla aren’t out in front of 7-11 begging for change.

Edit: Damn, I just got trolled by the MulletMan

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Guys like Gionta should step aside and allow young kids to get the opportunity to play.
Out with the Old and in with the new. These veteran salaries are destroying the Gov't. Retire Gionta and collect your pension already. You to Jagr.

Aug 25, 2009
éal
RETIRED EXTREMELY DANGEROUS, RED TEAM

PATRIK ELIAS — MIKE FISHER — JAROMIR JAGR
ALEXANDER SEMIN — CODY HODGSON — JAROME IGINLA
ALEX TANGUAY — VINCENT LECAVALIER — MARTIN ST-LOUIS
BRIAN GIONTA – DAVID LEGWAND – SHANE DOAN

STEVE OTT, VERNON FIDDLER, BRANDON BOCHENSKI

RYAN WHITNEY — KEVIN KLEIN
KEITH BALLARD – DAN BOYLE
BARRET JACKMAN — BRIAN CAMPBELL

ROSTISLAV KLESLA, NICKLAS LIDSTROM

DOMINIK HASEK

dont tell me this team wouldnt give Pittsburgh a run for their money

Reactions: Jee

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Huh? If you're not good enough to play (or so a GM thinks), then too bad. Should be have young age security too? Give young kids with talent and a future more chances to stick?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Lol at all of the countless Bruins’ fans that said he wouldn’t play and he was only going to be a 13/14th forward for them.

Let me guess, now all of those people will deny saying that??

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Name me a player 38+ who would make it on the Penguins, because I can't think of one. This is a peak Mulletman idea.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
They should only allow 40+ year-old goalies in the NHL.

That could definitely help with scoring.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
So a player who missed 3/4 of the season gets this thread?

Sorry

he missed 3/4 of the season--he is playing against guys that have been playing balls out all year

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Name me a player 38+ who would make it on the Penguins, because I can't think of one. This is a peak Mulletman idea.

Cullen. ;)

But he's the exception that proves the rule. If the geezers want to keep a full-time job as they age, they have to be content to take less money and be versatile enough to remain valuable as their numbers drop out of top 6 territory.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Cullen. ;)

But he's the exception that proves the rule. If the geezers want to keep a full-time job as they age, they have to be content to take less money and be versatile enough to remain valuable as their numbers drop out of top 6 territory.

With a full strength team, I don't think I'd have Cullen.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
This is the most rediculous thread I have seen in a long while

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
what gets me about this thread is that the context of the idea is that Gionta would have done this all season. He is playing against guys who have played all year--if Gionta had played all year somewhere then I could see the argument

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Lol at all of the countless Bruins’ fans that said he wouldn’t play and he was only going to be a 13/14th forward for them.

Let me guess, now all of those people will deny saying that??
Well, in fairness Bergeron is out and Heinen sat because as a youngster he seemed to be hitting a wall.

Isn’t that what a guy signed (one would expect) as a 13/14 is expected to do? Step in and play?

Did YOU think he’d be a top 9 forward or something?

Reactions: Sigh

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Job security? These guys make on average 4-5 million a year. Even if they are out of the league by 30, they should be set for life if they were at all smart with their money, So no, there should be no job security for older players.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
We are making this decision based on 2 games of Brian Gionta?

Seems a tad bit hasty to me.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Well, in fairness Bergeron is out and Heinen sat because as a youngster he seemed to be hitting a wall.

Isn’t that what a guy signed (one would expect) as a 13/14 is expected to do? Step in and play?

Did YOU think he’d be a top 9 forward or something?
I said they wouldn’t sit him in the press box and here we are. He wouldn’t have signed to be a 14th forward. I knew he’d weasel his way into the lineup, that’s just how the NHL works.

You also don’t play a 14th forward almost 16 mins in a game. The overwhelming majority was wrong in their dismissal of this signing thus far. Maybe he works out but Boston fans spoke with such great authority acting like he’d never play.

Last edited:

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
If I have a young up and coming team, I's rather give a spot to a young guy so he can gain experience. If I have a team making a run, I don't mind having an old experienced guy who still has juice in the tank, on my team

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad