Is Brian Gionta destined to return?

The Broadway Hat

Jun 17, 2014
you want the Devils to sign him because he absolutely stinks now.

No way Jose. I would love nothing more than you guys to pass on him. Our offense stinks ourselves and is rather you guy be worse. Gionta makes you better. But again feel free to pass on proven goal scorers.

I like Gionta, so I don't have anything bad to say about him.

Check back with me sometime next season when he has 12 points in 42 games for us. I should have something by then. :laugh:

Me too love his game. Always have. Rochester rocket. But yeah I'll check back. I like a lot of you guys hope I don't get flammed if I keep posting here

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Me too love his game. Always have. Rochester rocket. But yeah I'll check back. I like a lot of you guys hope I don't get flammed if I keep posting here

keep it civil and noone will have a problem haha. Call me crazy but I dont think Gionta is as bad as people make out. but I also agree we probably shouldnt sign him based on the state of the team. high end should be the target, rather than more middle-low end

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
Reading what I'm reading in all of the local sports articles about the Devils, if there is any validity to them & I was Cory Schneider, I wouldn't sign a damn contract until I saw all of Lou's moves play out.

If he resigns the entire 4th line, obtains Brian Gionta & doesn't use any compliance buy-outs...as Schneider, I would tell the Devils, "No Thanks!" I'll play out this season & take my chances for next season for a new contract elswhere.

There are way too many, easy to see changes this team so desperately needs (and doesn't need) & from what I am seeing, Lou is TANKING US for next season by toying with such stupid player decisions!!!

The Devils keep getting more & more frustrating to follow.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Reading what I'm reading in all of the local sports articles about the Devils, if there is any validity to them & I was Cory Schneider, I wouldn't sign a damn contract until I saw all of Lou's moves play out.

If he resigns the entire 4th line, obtains Brian Gionta & doesn't use any compliance buy-outs...as Schneider, I would tell the Devils, "No Thanks!" I'll play out this season & take my chances for next season for a new contract elswhere.

There are way too many, easy to see changes this team so desperately needs (and doesn't need) & from what I am seeing, Lou is TANKING US for next season by toying with such stupid player decisions!!!

The Devils keep getting more & more frustrating to follow.

as frustrating as a being a Devils fan can be right now, theres at least 10 teams in the league id be more frustrated with as a fan

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Me reading this thread title:

clarkpalm_zps5248ff7a.jpg

And that's not to say anything about the article, I just really don't want him back here. I used to, but considering the other UFAs available, he won't be close to worth whatever he gets unless he signs for ~1m and expects to be in the bottom 6 every night.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
No way Jose. I would love nothing more than you guys to pass on him. Our offense stinks ourselves and is rather you guy be worse. Gionta makes you better. But again feel free to pass on proven goal scorers.

advice- take the stuff on this board with a boulder of salt. no player, coach, or GM has ever been as good or as bad as they've been portrayed here

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
advice- take the stuff on this board with a boulder of salt. no player, coach, or GM has ever been as good or as bad as they've been portrayed here

That being said, and looking over his stats, Jim's right about him playing a heavily defensive role in Montreal. He and Plekanec started in the defensive zone more than any other forward pair. And despite that, his possession numbers are middle-of-the-road (and on a bad possession team, mind you), he's still pretty productive (.5 ppg is nothing to sneeze at), and he puts up shots and points at a surprisingly high rate relative to the team, given his usage.

But on the other hat, Gio's at that age where production can nosedive in an instant. I'd swap him with Ryder in a heartbeat, but unless he's signing for 1 or 2 years to an awfully cheap deal, I'd rather look for bargains elsewhere like with Kulemin, Vrbata, Mason Raymond, Penner, Booth...etc.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
That being said, and looking over his stats, Jim's right about him playing a heavily defensive role in Montreal. He and Plekanec started in the defensive zone more than any other forward pair. And despite that, his possession numbers are middle-of-the-road (and on a bad possession team, mind you), he's still pretty productive (.5 ppg is nothing to sneeze at), and he puts up shots and points at a surprisingly high rate relative to the team, given his usage.

But on the other hat, Gio's at that age where production can nosedive in an instant. I'd swap him with Ryder in a heartbeat, but unless he's signing for 1 or 2 years to an awfully cheap deal, I'd rather look for bargains elsewhere like with Kulemin, Vrbata, Mason Raymond, Penner, Booth...etc.

Gionta circa 2006 would have been perfect for this team. A fast winger that goes to the tough areas of the ice in order to score goals. Unfortunately in his latter years in NJ he kind of got away from that, probably out of necessity so that he could stay in the league. His last few seasons in NJ I remember a ton of shots from the outside going right into the goalies chest.

Devils Unseen Hand

Jul 25, 2002
Ocean County
as frustrating as a being a Devils fan can be right now, theres at least 10 teams in the league id be more frustrated with as a fan

That's true! Plenty of organizations that year in/out never do the right thing. With the Devils though, much more is expected.

However, if had to visualize what the Devils Boardroom looks like with Lou, DeBoer, Conte & owner Josh Harris contemplating trades/contracts, it must look something like this:

mB9kv8d.gif

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Yeah, that's pretty much the patented Gio move at this point. But I'd contend with "he's only in position to take those shots because he's getting the puck out of the defensive zone when he's on the ice." Plus if that shot forces an offensive-zone faceoff, that's a positive. I was reading here and there that LA used that tactic with their depth players so that they could get their top-6 out in the o-zone as much as possible.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

agreed. I don't want gio on this team for the record.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

Would you do give him the exact same deal as Ryder's? 2 years contract for 3.5M?

Phil2

May 29, 2014
no to Gionta. No to S. Gionta.

Gionta just isn't the same player, and how many over the hill players that once played for the Devils did work out for them?(Sykora/Rolston?)

He simply was terrible in the playoffs, no to him and no to his brother.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Would you do give him the exact same deal as Ryder's? 2 years contract for 3.5M?

I'd be okay with that, provided we jettisoned Ryder. Signing Gionta (even if Ryder were to stay) makes us possibly a little bit better than last year, even with no other moves. That's also assuming Gionta stays healthy and doesn't fall off a cliff too much. I'm taking the same approach that Kaoss does on this matter.

We need more help than the original Gio though. It's not a bad move if we get Ryder or Brunner out of here. I'd be more comfortable parting with Ryder than Brunner, though I'm okay with keeping Ryder as long as we add someone to the top 6. I was in favor of trading for Gionta (for less than a first round pick) after Zach left, but I'm not so into the idea of taking him back unless we purge someone.

Then you have to worry about him falling off a cliff like Zubrus appears to have possibly just done. We already have $3 million in possible deadweight for the next two years. On top of $4+ for the next two years of Volchenkov if he's not purged.

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
I'd be okay with that, provided we jettisoned Ryder. Signing Gionta (even if Ryder were to stay) makes us possibly a little bit better than last year, even with no other moves. That's also assuming Gionta stays healthy and doesn't fall off a cliff too much. I'm taking the same approach that Kaoss does on this matter.

We need more help than the original Gio though. It's not a bad move if we get Ryder or Brunner out of here. I'd be more comfortable parting with Ryder than Brunner, though I'm okay with keeping Ryder as long as we add someone to the top 6. I was in favor of trading for Gionta (for less than a first round pick) after Zach left, but I'm not so into the idea of taking him back unless we purge someone.

Then you have to worry about him falling off a cliff like Zubrus appears to have possibly just done. We already have $3 million in possible deadweight for the next two years. On top of $4+ for the next two years of Volchenkov if he's not purged.

I don't want to give up on Brunner just yet. He played what basically was his first season in the NHL and he did contribute (in spurts admittedly). I think this year he will improve for sure. Besides, we can't give up what little team speed we have.

SeidoN

Aug 8, 2012
AEF
I don't want to give up on Brunner just yet. He played what basically was his first season in the NHL and he did contribute (in spurts admittedly). I think this year he will improve for sure. Besides, we can't give up what little team speed we have.

I actually liked him. and it was worth it alone to watch the Senators fans cry over his goal

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

That's why I'd sooner move Ryder. Brunner has a million less of a cap hit too.

We have too many BAD contracts on this team. Volchenkov for two more years if not bought out, Salvador for one more year (I could live with one more year) Zubrus is looking like an absolute nightmare right now. I'm not too concerned with Elias. I'm more concerned with his health than his play declining. He was on pace for 70 points last year, so I don't see him dropping off too much before this contract ends. Clowe is not bad for his production, but too injury prone.

Adding a 35 year old Gionta (too many health problems and possibly declining play) could be pretty costly with all the other deadweight we got.

VaxjoDevil

No kids - Still a person
Nov 11, 2009
Princeton, NJ
Boston fans wanted Jagr out because "he didn't score in the playoffs", "couldn't play a full season because he wears down", and "couldn't skate anymore"...

And you oughta go back and read Minnesota fans comments on Zidlicky... according to them his legs were gone 4 years ago. And the best, getting Foster was a steal because anything was better than Zidlicky.

See, the thing is, most fans have no idea what the hell they are talking about. They see a mid-30's plus player not produce to the level they believe they should and they pronounce him finished without any consideration of circumstances or injury...like maybe a torn labrum.

This post is the best thing I have read in a long time.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Giontas don't want to go home to Buffalo?

Who the **** wants to play there? Not in their current state of the team. :laugh: Gio would have probably have rather went there in 09 when they were actually competitive.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
LOL sorry for another off topic, but while were on Buffalo. Dwayne has said multiple times that Moulson is going back to Buffalo cause he liked it there. That goofy ******* should just say he's going back to the Islanders if he's gonna make up stupid ****. :laugh:

Don't even ask me why I'm reading his garbage either. After people saying we've been connected to certain players by him, I couldn't resist taking a walk over there.

ScottyK

Hi, I'm mat.
Aug 28, 2008
West of Chicago
I'd rather have him on the 3rd line than Ryder. At least when Gionta's goal scoring disappears for 20 games he can do other things and do them well.

Ryder is ****ing useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad