Is Brian Gionta destined to return?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Steve Bernier era must come to an end, he showed some promise during the cup run and the lockout season. Only one I want back is Carter from the fourth line.

Yes please. Bernier probably won't bounce back. I expect him to be in the KHL pretty soon.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I'm saying in general, you keep citing old guys/ufa signings and hindering the Devils future. Empty Albany, watch the suckage and learning curve from players like Whitney and others. Than when guys like Matteau and Boucher as well as Josefson don't progress as they should, we can read about they didn't develop properly.

yea, because Josefson is really progressing well on this current path witht his coach!!!

and I never said to "empty Albany". please stop putting words in my mouth.

also why do you keep bringing up Joe Whitney? he is not a prospect anymore. hes 26. not sure what he has to do with anything.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm saying in general, you keep citing old guys/ufa signings and hindering the Devils future. Empty Albany, watch the suckage and learning curve from players like Whitney and others. Than when guys like Matteau and Boucher as well as Josefson don't progress as they should, we can read about they didn't develop properly.

Whitney's a career AHL guy...we only really have three forwards in Albany that might play next year. Boucher/Matteau who are probably at least close to ready, at most a year off - and Sislo who might replace Bernier on the fourth line.

GhostofKenKlee

The reason I say empty Albany is because you have a problem with Lou signing UFAs/retreads to make up for lost offense. He did it on the backline post Stevens and Niedermayer.

It's not the ideal situation, I guess Lou should of just started tanking when he knew Dano, Stevens and Niedermayer weren't coming back.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 26s
#canadiens are still hopeful to sign Mike Weaver. They are less hopeful to sign Brian Gionta. He could hit the market July 1st.

oh dear God

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 26s
#canadiens are still hopeful to sign Mike Weaver. They are less hopeful to sign Brian Gionta. He could hit the market July 1st.

oh dear God

A_Y3xY4CQAAk3U-.jpg:large

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Good news for those who don't want him. Today in TG's blog he talked about Stephen and his agent, who is also Brian's agent. He told him that he will be talking to Lou about Stephen this week and he expects him to be back. Bad news if you don't want Stephen back. Then he went on to talk about Brian and how a few teams expressed interest but he wasn't gonna say who.

He said he hadn't talked to Lou about Stephen in a a couple days or something, but they planned to talk at the draft this weekend. Maybe I'm reading too far into this but if he didn't talk to Lou in a few days (possibly before the UFA interview period) then I'm not sure if Lou has talked to him about Brian. It seems they would have talked more recent if he had, and Lou would have likely wanted to get Stephen done before talking to their agent about Brian.

Maybe I'm reading too far into, but it seems possible that Lou hasn't even inquired about Brian.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
He also said multiple teams started calling about Stephen checking in since they assumed he'd have re-signed with us already.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He also said multiple teams started calling about Stephen checking in since they assumed he'd have re-signed with us already.

I'm sure a few teams are interested in him as a 4th liner. I'm curious how many teams have contacted Bernier? Probably SKA, CSKA Moscow, Omsk, and a few teams from then SEL and Czech leagues. :shakehead

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I doubt the other teams would use him as a center though. We're the only team that doesn't he's really bad at faceoffs.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
multiple teams calling about Stephen

good joke, TG

It was the agent claiming it lol (really he said a 'couple', not multiple though)

In the meantime, Bartlett said he has received a couple of phone calls from teams inquiring about Stephen Gionta since the free agent interview period began on Wednesday. “They just wanted to see what his situation was because they just assumed he would be staying in New Jersey,” Bartlett said.

bobilly45

Jan 1, 2013
Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva 1h
Brian Gionta agent, Steve Bartlett and Marc Bergevin met this morning. Still no progress. #canadiens #tvasports

DirtyJerzey

Oct 19, 2013
Reading this makes me feel like i ate 5 dozen raw oysters that have been sitting out in the sun for about 4 days

JerryGigantic

Old Skool
Jul 17, 2006
New York
What I want for Christmas...

ZERO Giontas on this team this season.

And for the record, Brian Gionta is top 5 all-time for me among ex/retired Devils.

If we are actually in play for original Gio... only if somehow Ryder disappeared off the roster (for a late round pick and a mini-pizza, or whatever) and Brian Gionta is signed for that same exact number. I'd live with that, even if it was for 2-3 year term, likely full of injury and precipitous decline in production.

But hopefully this new poker-based stats wunderkin finally hips management that despite his "compete level", Baby Gio is a clear liability on the ice, makes players around him worse and must be shed from the roster (despite his confident agent and claims of interest from the team).

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
What I want for Christmas...

ZERO Giontas on this team this season.

And for the record, Brian Gionta is top 5 all-time for me among ex/retired Devils.

If we are actually in play for original Gio... only if somehow Ryder disappeared off the roster (for a late round pick and a mini-pizza, or whatever) and Brian Gionta is signed for that same exact number. I'd live with that, even if it was for 2-3 year term, likely full of injury and precipitous decline in production.

But hopefully this new poker-based stats wunderkin finally hips management that despite his "compete level", Baby Gio is a clear liability on the ice, makes players around him worse and must be shed from the roster (despite his confident agent and claims of interest from the team).

I can get on board with that. When Gionta isn't scoring he at least adds to the lineup by being a good two-way player and penalty killer. When Ryder isn't putting the puck in the net he adds literally nothing.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00