Is Boston’s window now closed?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Pastrnak and McAvoy are young but the rest of the core players are old. How much longer can Bergeron (36) and Marchand (33) be elite? Krejci (35) and Rask (34) are is still good too but again, they’re old.

What’s the game plan for the Bruins going forward?

generalshepherd141

Jun 12, 2017
America
Until they miss the playoffs again, I think their window is still cracked. Not wide open, but it's definitely manageable for them.

They're not going to be Cup favorites anymore, but they could easily finish 2nd in the Atlantic next season, and that kind of record would not exclude them from winning the Cup.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
They did pretty damn good. All those contenders from last decade from the California teams, Rangers, Devils, Hawks, Nucks fell off a cliff but the Bruins are still here and competitive.

True but I think that has more to do with their core players somehow peaking in their mid 30s rather than some sort of shrewd management moves. Sweeney screwed the pooch for them trading Hamilton then made it worse by trying to be the smartest guy in the room on draft day in 2015.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
I think their window is tied with Bergeron. As long as he's elite and he was this year they have a chance. However, once he loses a step that will close the window unless they can find someone else to assume his role. Pasta and McAvoy is a great start to their next core though and they have a few other great pieces.

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
Pastrnak and McAvoy are young but the rest of the core players are old. How much longer can Bergeron (36) and Marchand (33) be elite? Krejci (35) and Rask (34) are is still good too but again, they’re old.

What’s the game plan for the Bruins going forward?
Absolutely not. They'll still stick around. They'll be fine but they better hope the prospects can make a change. also taylor hall is sticking. They'll be back but the window is closing up. Consider this the final wake up call

Roasted Nuts

Feb 6, 2018
Behind you
Even the most elite players can't hold up a franchise forever. Just look at the Sharks; with Thornton and Marleau hitting their forties, they came crashing down hard. The Sharks in their last competitive years featured aging core players and a youngish supporting cast. Take the 2018 Sharks for example, that team had Marleau 38, Thornton 40, Pavs 33, Couture 29, and Burns 33, as the older veterans and Meier and Hertl in their early twenties. That team was still competitive as it almost made the finals, while the team next year missed the playoffs as the older core was no longer effective. I expect Boston to take the same route, as they will have one last shot at the cup before tumbling down.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Beating a dead horse here, but man did passing on Barzal 3 times really come back to bite them in the ass, he would've given them a legit future 1st line with Pasta to pass the torch to as Bergeron/Marchand eventually move on. Barzal, Pasta, Mac would've been 3 nice young stars to continue building around and Bergeron/Marchand could obviously still help them as they're still damn solid players despite their age.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
They have to absolutely have to find a 1C to keep it going, which we all know is very easy to do....

Reactions: rfournier103

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc
tenor.gif
id917932200

ozzie

Aug 3, 2005
Australia
The top line will get them into at least the playoffs for another 2 seasons, beyond that I don't know. Boston has a culture and a style on the ice, that is well suited for the playoffs. They won their cup with an insane performance from Tim Thomas. In fact the Thomas effect took them to the next level. Whist Rask isn't the problem, he might not be the solution. The team needs some defensive help and some fresh hungry blood to work with the core. Their window is still open, by nature of their style of play and consistency. Perennial threat, but need help.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Until they miss the playoffs again, I think their window is still cracked. Not wide open, but it's definitely manageable for them.

They're not going to be Cup favorites anymore, but they could easily finish 2nd in the Atlantic next season, and that kind of record would not exclude them from winning the Cup.

This was my thinking the last 2 Years but the age of their top 2 centres, Marchand and even Rask all indicate that they aren’t serious SC threats and need a retool.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
I feel like they are capable of being a threat without being a full fledged Cup contender. It's a team that would worry me if my team had to play against them at any point in the playoffs but I am just not confident that they have a legitimate shot at winning another Cup after their loss in 2019.

Rec T

Jun 1, 2007
NKY
Good enough to be a playoff team for at least a couple/few more years, sure. Not built to go all the way though without a lot of things lining up/bounces going the right way/insane hot streak by one or more players.

So no, not closed but not wide open either (1st or 2nd round exits most likely)

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Going forward they will need a much better supporting cast to move forward as cup contenders.

They’re still a strong team and will make the playoffs IMO but they either need to load up with vets and strengthen the roster or find some better younger players to support what they have.

Rcknrollkillnmachine

Sep 22, 2017
Finland
The window is open but they need to re-tool.

I wonder do they pick up an elite coach like Trotz or even Quenneville if they are available and Cassidy has a mediocre season. He's made some odd decisions picking players (dropping Backes 2019 SCF) and I think a below-par regular season could see him gone.

People calling for Tuukka to not be re-signed are cranks as he's still elite and if Swayman is the supposed 'Chosen One' then let him try to oust Rask next season.

A lot of passengers need clearing out.

I'd take Taylor Hall but on a reasonable contract and not an albatross one.

Sweeney is also under pressure now as could very well see himself on the chopping block if he recruits poorly or not at all this post-season coming. Barzal came to haunt him last night so he needs to scour far and wide for the right pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad