Is Boeser the next Kessel?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kessel does have great speed. I think people don't realize it partially because he just doesn't look like a good athlete at all.

They're really not that similar of a player or even shooter, though. Kessel's office is the slot/the inner half of the two circles. He uses one of the whippiest/weakest flex sticks in the league, which makes his release extremely deceptive and quick, but slap shots and one-timers are really not part of his arsenal.

Boeser uses a 90 flex stick. His release is very quick and he scores on plenty of snap shots/wristers in the slot as well, but it's not as quick or deceptive as Kessel's. However, unlike Kessel he's deadly on one timers from the top of the circle and can score from pretty much anywhere on the ice.

Boeser has 45 goals in his 1st 96 games. The only guys in the league currently that scored at a faster pace than that over that many games starting their careers: Ovi, Laine, Matthews, Crosby, Kovalchuk. He's 21 and hasn't even hit his prime yet, and that's already significantly ahead of Kessel's career goal/game pace.

I'd say Boeser is the better goal scorer. Kessel is the better all around player.

Can't really add much to these. Good analysis

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Kessel does have great speed. I think people don't realize it partially because he just doesn't look like a good athlete at all.

They're really not that similar of a player or even shooter, though. Kessel's office is the slot/the inner half of the two circles. He uses one of the whippiest/weakest flex sticks in the league, which makes his release extremely deceptive and quick, but slap shots and one-timers are really not part of his arsenal.

Boeser uses a 90 flex stick. His release is very quick and he scores on plenty of snap shots/wristers in the slot as well, but it's not as quick or deceptive as Kessel's. However, unlike Kessel he's deadly on one timers from the top of the circle and can score from pretty much anywhere on the ice.

Boeser has 45 goals in his 1st 96 games. The only guys in the league currently that scored at a faster pace than that over that many games starting their careers: Ovi, Laine, Matthews, Crosby, Kovalchuk. He's 21 and hasn't even hit his prime yet, and that's already significantly ahead of Kessel's career goal/game pace.

I'd say Boeser is the better goal scorer. Kessel is the better all around player.

Please @milesandmiles post more. You are very perceptive. Your analysis and the way you write is a breath of fresh air.

puckpilot

Oct 23, 2016
They're really nothing a like. Kessel is the speedy winger that can generat chances with his skating. Boeser is no where near as fast and generally depends on someone delivering him the puck at the right time to generate a lot of his chances.

Not saying one is better than the other in this respect. They're just different styles of play.

As for their shooting. Kessel uses quickness of release more to beat goalies. Boeser, though having a great release, can over power a goalie with his shot.

Kessel is the better playmaker. Boeser, from the small sample size, looks to be the better finisher.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brock’s hair slows him down. Kessel is also more of a hypersoft playmaker than pure sniper. He just has that crazy snap shot.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Kessel is way more deceptive. When he enters an arena before the game, you could mistake him for being the team bus driver, when he in fact is one of the star players - and very fast at that. He can't carry a line, but he's a world class complementary player.

Reactions: 53or8

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Has Kessel scored a billion goals against Matt Murray? Probably in practice so that’s one thing Boeser and Kessel have in common.

ScottishCanuck

May 9, 2010
Scotland
I'd be pretty delighted if Boeser has the career Kessel has had.

Don't think they're stylistically the most comparable players though.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Kessel is a much better skater but Boeser has a better shot (yes I know kessel has a great shot). The comparison isn’t terrible but there are better ones for Boeser out there.

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
I mean I do believe Boeser is currently the better goal scorer. 45 goals in 96gp, only a selective few have done that at 21 post-lockout.

When talking about Boeser's skating, you've got to nitpick the exact problems of his skating. He's got great agility, he's a decent skater, he lacks however quickness (in his first steps), explosiveness and acceleration. Horvat had these problems breaking into the league and during his first off-season hired a powerskating coach, and then the next season he was literally flying all over the ice.

Kessel in his early years was very explosive, I remember. His skating always stood out to me, particularly because he doesn't really look like a fit athlete at all, but that just proves that it's all about technique.

Boeser the better goal scorer right now, Kessel the better overall player but Boeser is heading into Kessel's career trajectory which is nice.

Smiggie Balls

Sep 27, 2017
This is an amateur thread.

Kessel is better player hands down for now - he has the history, stanley cups, and numbers to prove it.
Can boeser be better? Theoretically yes but unlikely

Kessel is the equal if not the better goal scorer who is also a great playmaker and has elite speed - attributes that boeser lacks.
total amateur reply

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
Not that similar. Boeser’s playmaking is really underrated though. He’s much more than a sniper. As is Kessel.
I couldn’t disagree more about Boeser being a playmaker. He doesn’t have the IQ/vision to be a good playmaker. He can shoot, he can score and that is about it. More often than not plays die on his stick. I’m a lifetime long canucks die hard fan, so no bias here.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
This is an amateur thread.

Kessel is better player hands down for now - he has the history, stanley cups, and numbers to prove it.
Can boeser be better? Theoretically yes but unlikely

Kessel is the equal if not the better goal scorer who is also a great playmaker and has elite speed - attributes that boeser lacks.
I’d have to agree.. I mean potentially Boeser could somehow end up being better than Kessel. Kessels release is better, better skater, better passer. Boeser has the better one timer though.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I couldn’t disagree more about Boeser being a playmaker. He doesn’t have the IQ/vision to be a good playmaker. He can shoot, he can score and that is about it. More often than not plays die on his stick. I’m a lifetime long canucks die hard fan, so no bias here.
You’re certainly entitled to your opinion.
The stats say otherwise though. His assist total equals pretty much equals his goal total this year.
Last year without Pettersson he had 29 goals and 26 assists. Actually his last year in college he became very good playmaker. I think that’s an under appreciated part of his game. He has elite IQ and vision.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad