Is Boeser the next Kessel?

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Both RW snipers with elite shots, about the same size as well, seem to play a similar game
Obviously Kessel has been great for a long time now, although Boeser has a higher career PPG so far (.865 vs .819)
Is Boeser becoming the next Kessel?

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

Westcoastsniper

Sep 25, 2008
Kessel is the poor mans version of Boeser (talking about purely looks).

On a serious note. I think its an interesting comparison, but I think Boeser has a chance to hit 50 at least once in his career. He's a 30 goal scorer in a year with injuries, so I think he could be a consistent 40 goal scorer if healthy.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Is Kessel that fast? I always thought of him as a heady and quick guy but not straight-line fast. But i don’t see him regularly.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
Is Kessel that fast? I always thought of him as a heady and quick guy but not straight-line fast. But i don’t see him regularly.
Kessel does have great speed. I think people don't realize it partially because he just doesn't look like a good athlete at all.

They're really not that similar of a player or even shooter, though. Kessel's office is the slot/the inner half of the two circles. He uses one of the whippiest/weakest flex sticks in the league, which makes his release extremely deceptive and quick, but slap shots and one-timers are really not part of his arsenal.

Boeser uses a 90 flex stick. His release is very quick and he scores on plenty of snap shots/wristers in the slot as well, but it's not as quick or deceptive as Kessel's. However, unlike Kessel he's deadly on one timers from the top of the circle and can score from pretty much anywhere on the ice.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Aside from both being American goal scorers, they're not similar.

Kessel is much faster and rarely scores off of one-timers like Boeser. Phil also has an elite playmaking skill-set that Boeser lacks.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Phil Kessel might have the worst slapshot/one timer of any player who has gotten close to 40 goals on multiple occasions.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
This is an amateur thread.

Kessel is better player hands down for now - he has the history, stanley cups, and numbers to prove it.
Can boeser be better? Theoretically yes but unlikely

Kessel is the equal if not the better goal scorer who is also a great playmaker and has elite speed - attributes that boeser lacks.

mphmiles

Jan 1, 2017
This is an amateur thread.

Kessel is better player hands down for now - he has the history, stanley cups, and numbers to prove it.
Can boeser be better? Theoretically yes but unlikely

Kessel is the equal if not the better goal scorer who is also a great playmaker and has elite speed - attributes that boeser lacks.

Boeser has 45 goals in his 1st 96 games. The only guys in the league currently that scored at a faster pace than that over that many games starting their careers: Ovi, Laine, Matthews, Crosby, Kovalchuk. He's 21 and hasn't even hit his prime yet, and that's already significantly ahead of Kessel's career goal/game pace.

I'd say Boeser is the better goal scorer. Kessel is the better all around player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad