Is Bettman avoiding NBC or is NBC avoiding Bettman?

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
the nba gets 2.5, you think hockey is 40% as popular as basketball in the US ?

not a chance.

With two expansion teams in the US and big market winning lately, I thought it would be close to a billion. Gary Bettman did promise the owners .a huge US tv contract. I think it will be between $500 million-$700 million per.

Bookie21

Dec 26, 2017
I was thinking a billion from just the US deal.
1.5 Billion combined isn't going to happen. $500 million for US rights is realistic considering ratings, compared to MLB/NBA/MLS. $650 million is attainable if they create a bidding war with FOX/NBC/ESPN

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Can't and won't happen. No one from Rogers will say it publicly, but it was a mistake doing 12 years at $500+M per year. They aren't making money on this deal.

If they wanted out, they could easily sell the deal to Bell.

It was dumb of the NHL to try to get everything under one umbrella anyway. Then again that was the mindset for companies a few years back. Not so much now. If you can get games on CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, and Fox Sports Net, you do it.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
If they wanted out, they could easily sell the deal to Bell.

It was dumb of the NHL to try to get everything under one umbrella anyway. Then again that was the mindset for companies a few years back. Not so much now. If you can get games on CBC, TSN, Sportsnet, ESPN, and Fox Sports Net, you do it.

You sure about that ?

Because as far as I am concerned, Rogers outbid Bell to get the NHL Canadian TV rights. Bell was the previous holder of said rights, and I know what the mindset was, but you can't really blame Rogers for taking it all because that's exactly what Bell had before.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
You sure about that ?

Because as far as I am concerned, Rogers outbid Bell to get the NHL Canadian TV rights. Bell was the previous holder of said rights, and I know what the mindset was, but you can't really blame Rogers for taking it all because that's exactly what Bell had before.

I don't blame Rogers. I'm saying if the deal was so poisonous they could sell the rights to Bell and get out. TSN has been jumping on every NHL regional scrap it can get. If the deal was a financial failure, Rogers would get out and Bell would happily take it. The big thing with Bell was that they wanted to push CBC out and have Hockey Night in Canada on TSN. If they bought the rights that would be a part of it.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
I don't blame Rogers. I'm saying if the deal was so poisonous they could sell the rights to Bell and get out. TSN has been jumping on every NHL regional scrap it can get. If the deal was a financial failure, Rogers would get out and Bell would happily take it. The big thing with Bell was that they wanted to push CBC out and have Hockey Night in Canada on TSN. If they bought the rights that would be a part of it.

If you say so, but...
Bell won't pay 5.2 billions for 12 years.
Rogers won't sell for a loss.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Can't and won't happen. No one from Rogers will say it publicly, but it was a mistake doing 12 years at $500+M per year. They aren't making money on this deal.

Rogers lives and dies with the Leafs and in 4 years have made the playoffs twice losing in Round 1 both times. Rogers is in better shape than partner TVAS who is paying Rogers $110 million for francophone rights the Habs have missed the playoffs twice and if Montreal is out viewership is limited.

What saved Sportsnet is the decent ratings the Blue Jays have generated.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If you say so, but...
Bell won't pay 5.2 billions for 12 years.
Rogers won't sell for a loss.

No, but they wouldn't sell everything. That's dumb. They would sell enough for Bell to bite. Bell/TSN will pay a billion alone for the rights to Leafs games if Rogers needed to sell them. Which they don't.

People are still living in 2016 when ratings were cratering due to Canadian teams sucking. The ratings were quite good last year. A 94% increase in the playoffs in 2017 compared to 2016, and an 18% increase in the Cup final. Sportsnet is the king of Canadian specialty networks. So yes, this is all hypothetical, but no, I don't think the deal is considered a failure to Rogers in 2018. Maybe in 2016, but with the Leafs and Jets strong and other Canadian teams catching up, things will get better.

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
NHL decided not to send players to the PyeongChang Olympics The same PyeongChang Olympics that NBC pays billions for the right to broadcast

EXACT SAME THING happened with Rogers/CBC in Canada. So why isn't Rogers/CBC pissed?

IE, conspiracy theory that somehow there is a major issue here.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
as I said a while ago, no matter what happens, I just want to see the NHL on multiple channels like the NFL and MLB is...if it is Fox Sports and ESPN, fine, just make damn sure we get more games total and not less.

the deal as it stands right now is easily double in value than what was signed 6-7 years back. the playoff numbers are up, the league is starting to fill back up with youthful skill which is again leading to a better on ice product. the NHL actually is in a great spot here, where they will be in demand. I actually do see a bit of a bidding war, there is no way on Earth NBC/NBC Sports wants to lose the NHL and all the programming it has allowed them to do. maybe it is just the optimist in me, but I can easily see a $600-700 mil per year tv deal here, either splitting with NBC and Espn or Fox Sports and ESPN...either way, I think the NHL is going multi channel, and NBC better realize that and know that if they win they still likely are only going to get a piece of the pie, the biggest piece but not the entire thing.

Reactions: rosenqvist

Trizent

Mar 4, 2005
Oil Country
The wildcard in this are streaming services like ESPN+, Amazon, FB, etc. UFC moved a lot of inventory to ESPN+ for big bucks.

This would be as a complimentary partner as it does limit exposure.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
was there any deal between Hulu and the NHL??? I haven't really seen anything on this despite hearing/seeing all the commercials about the NHL now on Hulu..have to imagine that is that start of something bigger possibly.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
was there any deal between Hulu and the NHL??? I haven't really seen anything on this despite hearing/seeing all the commercials about the NHL now on Hulu..have to imagine that is that start of something bigger possibly.

It's the same with NBA and MLB and Youtube TV. They are promoting the shit out of it. NFL doesn't have a streaming service partner. I assume because streaming NFL games on mobile devices isn't permitted unless you're using the official NFL app.

IceManCat

#TheFloridaPanthers
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
as I said a while ago, no matter what happens, I just want to see the NHL on multiple channels like the NFL and MLB is...if it is Fox Sports and ESPN, fine, just make damn sure we get more games total and not less.

the deal as it stands right now is easily double in value than what was signed 6-7 years back. the playoff numbers are up, the league is starting to fill back up with youthful skill which is again leading to a better on ice product. the NHL actually is in a great spot here, where they will be in demand. I actually do see a bit of a bidding war, there is no way on Earth NBC/NBC Sports wants to lose the NHL and all the programming it has allowed them to do. maybe it is just the optimist in me, but I can easily see a $600-700 mil per year tv deal here, either splitting with NBC and Espn or Fox Sports and ESPN...either way, I think the NHL is going multi channel, and NBC better realize that and know that if they win they still likely are only going to get a piece of the pie, the biggest piece but not the entire thing.

When is the current deal over ?

SkalbaniasGhost

Jan 11, 2018
The Hulu deal was for promotion purposes of their MVPD service only.Hulu is co-owned by Disney(ESPN),FOX(FS1),Comcast(NBCSN) and Time-Warner.Rupert Murdoch's sale of FOX to Disney gives them majority ownership of the brand.They will force the others(Comcast,Time-Warner)to sell.This will in turn result in Disney turning Hulu into a dedicated streaming service for their adult themed material(think Aliens,Deadpool,Titanic,).Disney is launching a children safe(Star Wars,Marvel,Pixar) streaming option in 2019.Disney will move most of their sports properties to the ESPN+ app.They can then bundle all three services at a decent rate and be the go to source for the consumer.
The NHL is business partners with Disney via their acquisition of BAMTechBAMTech - Wikipedia . Disney will be involved one way or another in the future distribution of The NHL.Just give it time.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The Hulu deal was for promotion purposes of their MVPD service only.Hulu is co-owned by Disney(ESPN),FOX(FS1),Comcast(NBCSN) and Time-Warner.Rupert Murdoch's sale of FOX to Disney gives them majority ownership of the brand.They will force the others(Comcast,Time-Warner)to sell.This will in turn result in Disney turning Hulu into a dedicated streaming service for their adult themed material(think Aliens,Deadpool,Titanic,).Disney is launching a children safe(Star Wars,Marvel,Pixar) streaming option in 2019.Disney will move most of their sports properties to the ESPN+ app.They can then bundle all three services at a decent rate and be the go to source for the consumer.
The NHL is business partners with Disney via their acquisition of BAMTechBAMTech - Wikipedia . Disney will be involved one way or another in the future distribution of The NHL.Just give it time.
wow a lot to digest here, is George Soros involved here somehow???? lol

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
One indisputable fact about hockey TV ratings - people watch WHEN THEY HAVE A ROOTING INTEREST.

Olympic final most-watched hockey game in 30 years

Canada's victory against Team USA in the Olympic gold-medal game Sunday night was the most-watched hockey game in the United States in 30 years.

The game drew an average viewership of 27.6 million, making it the most-watched hockey broadcast since the U.S. team beat Finland to win gold at 1980 Olympics. That game drew 32.8 million fans and came on the heels of the historic U.S. win against the U.S.S.R. in the "Miracle on Ice" game.

It was also the most-watched television broadcast ever in Canadian history, with an average audience of 16.6 million viewers. Nearly half of the Canadian population watched the entire game on average, while 80 percent of Canadians watched some part of the game (26.5 million). The game aired live on nine television networks in eight languages via Canada's Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium.

The NHL's most-watched games on network TV tilt heavily towards the 1970's - The 1994 Game 7 between the Rangers and Vancouver had a low number on ESPN because it was also on the Rangers MSG channel. The Montreal/Chicago game in 1971 was an astounding number for CBS given that Chicago was blacked out.

1. May 18, 1971, Montreal-Chicago – game seven, 12.41 million, 20.6 rating CBS
  2. May 11, 1972, Boston-NY Rangers – game six, 10.93 million, 17.6 rating CBS
  3. May 10, 1973, Montreal-Chicago – game six, 9.41 million, 15.2 rating NBC
  4. June 15, 2011, Boston-Vancouver – game seven, 8.54 million, 4.8 rating, 8 share NBC
  5. April 30, 1972, NY Rangers-Boston – game one, 8.51 million, 13.7 rating CBS
  6. May 12, 1974, Boston-Philadelphia – game three, 8.30 million, 12.5 rating NBC
  7. June 9, 2010, Chicago-Philadelphia – game six, 8.28 million, 4.7 rating, 6 share, NBC
  8. May 7, 1972, Boston-NY Rangers – game four, 8.26 million, 13.3 rating CBS
  9. June 24, 2013, Chicago-Boston — game six, 8.16 million, 4.7 rating, NBC
  10. June 15, 2015, Chicago-Tampa Bay – game six, 8 million, 4.4 rating, 8 share, NBC
The NHL does not have the star power of the NBA - last Sunday Game 7 between Cleveland and Boston had the highest rating ever for a NBA game on ESPN and LeBron James played all 48 minutes. What also hurts hockey with casual fans is two intermissions as the 3 twenty minute periods concept came from maximizing concession revenue.

The NBC studio segments are unchanged from 2012 when everything was moved to Connecticut. I know the NHL is frustrated that NBC ignores the trade deadline and only covers the first night of the draft.

Another odd thing - For Game 1 Mike Tirico opened the telecast from the 'fortress' at T-Mobile Arena and was never heard from again. :dunno:
I thought the highest rated games at least for the regular season was the 2014 Winter Classic between Toronto and Detroit.

The combined average television viewership for the 2014 NHL Winter Classic on NBC in the U.S., and CBC and RDS in Canada was 8.234 million viewers in North America, becoming the most watched regular season game ever. The previous highest combined average television viewership was 6.6 million viewers for the 2011 NHL Winter Classic. The 4.404 million average viewers for NBC's broadcast in the U.S. was the second-largest audience for an NHL regular-season game since 1975. The 3.57 million average viewers for CBC's broadcast in Canada was the largest audience ever for an NHL regular-season game in Canadian broadcast history. The game garnered a 2.5 rating, tying the 2009 NHL Winter Classic as the highest-rated NHL regular-season game since 1975. The rating and viewership for the game were up 19% and 18%, respectively, compared to the 2012 NHL Winter Classic.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_NHL_Winter_Classic

2014 NHL Winter Classic - Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland