Is Ben Bishop all that?

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I've kind of grown weary every time someone throws up the bad 'Bishop trade'. There were plenty of reasons the Sens chose to let him go but was it really such a loss?

The guy has very average GAA and SV% numbers and is amongst the worst of teams in playoff contention. Below average numbers amongst starters even.

For sure he's cleaning up in wins but it must help playing behind the highest scoring team in the league. I will admit being wrong about the Tampa team being so good but I just don't see Bishop as elite.

And why is it the Sens always get grief for trading Bishop but we never hear about St. Louis?

As an aside, Tampa is a pretty damned good team and I am looking forward to seeing how they do in the playoffs. Can they continue to score heavily in the playoffs or will goaltending come more into play in tight checking games?

shootingrubber

Oct 7, 2010
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't... But we gave him away for Cory Conacher. A guy who played horrible for us and who we no longer have. So the trade sucked for us. But hindsight is always 20/20.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
He is a very capable goaltender that we gave away for practiaclly nothing at all. Would have much rather flipped a goalie who could have returned more, or just kept the 3 of them till the summer. There was no reason to give him away.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Maybe he is, maybe he isn't... But we gave him away for Cory Conacher. A guy who played horrible for us and who we no longer have. So the trade sucked for us. But hindsight is always 20/20.

My biggest worry at the time of the trade was that we just provided a boost to a team in our division. I think Edmonton offered a 2nd?

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Tampa will move on from him once the russian is ready. He's younger, cheaper and probably go9ng to be just as good. No reason to over pay Bishop when you have so many players you have to resign

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

we won't know that until lindberg puts on a senators sweater and plays some games

edit: also hammond has looked better than bishop so far. you never know...

Last edited:

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
My biggest issue with the Bishop trade is that BM and Tim couldn't make up their mind on what type of team they wanted. The Sens wanted to build a bigger harder team to play against in the Boston model but MTL had just had pretty good success with a team of net buzzing mosquitoes so BM had second thoughts and decided to trade for one. They sold us on his potential but size aside, Conacher just didn't come as advertised.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
Bishop is a decent goalie. Who cares about it now? Why keep bringing it up? He came here and helped us make the playoffs. We dealt him for about what we paid to get him. You can't have 3 goalies and in my opinion, then and now....we kept by far the best one in Anderson. Not a groundshaking deal for the Sens. Smart small deal that helped us make the playoffs twice I think. It isn't like we drafted him and built him up and then traded him. St. Louis could look back in hindsight a lot more then us.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
I was upset at trading Bishop and still am. Not because he is "all that" (though I did and do consider him a better goalie than Lehner), but because I wanted us to run with Anderson-Bishop and to keep Lehner in the AHL for the next 3-4 years.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
People can say how bad a trade that was, and yeah the result speaks for itself, but 28 other teams did not offer more than Conacher. So only Tampa Bay fans get to rub it in our noses, the rest can blame their own management for being blind.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
- Gave up a 2nd to get Bishop in the first place

- Used Bishop 2 years in a row to make the playoffs, when Andy was injured both times IIRC

- Conacher scored some very big goals against the Habs (one was an instrumental tying goal late in the game) so just for that, it was worth it for me.

- Sens still have Lindberg

- Bishop is good but not as good as people made it out to be last season.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I didn't see much when he was here with us. Lots of 5 hole problems, and nowhere near as fluid as Lehner. Still, he proved me wrong. He's a good goalie and I think we traded low on him, when we probably should have dealt one of the other two.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
He's a competent goaltender playing behind a great offensive team.

I wasn't a big fan of Conacher as the return for Bishop, but I also think those who say we got absolutely fleeced are exaggerating Bishop's abilities.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Can't believe we almostttttttttttt got Couturier for Bishop. In hindsight the trade would be fair but at the time robbery by Murray.

Philly got cold feet in final moments.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Look at Tampa Bay the year they acquired Bishop, look at their goaltenders and look at where they ended up in the standings.

They picked Drouin 3rd overall. The following season Bishop had a Vezina finalist season before being injured.

Maybe he's only solid - but consider what they had before - a prospect and a bunch of very subpar journeymen...

Tampa Bay got an amazing deal on their end. We got Conacher who didn't work out.

I don't think it's a trade worth revisiting and coming up with "OMG Ottawa got destroyed" but the trade is a huge win for Tampa. We didn't really gain anything but we had to dump a goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad