Rumor: Is Atkinson next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Whatever his attitude is like off the ice, his on ice attitude has been stellar. He is well conditioned and able to play in all situations at any point in the game. Late in the 3rd period, he is still skating hard and taking long shifts to apply the forecheck and get the puck in deep.

I think he is a keeper. For his contract, age, and utility I don't think we get good value back.

He is streaky, but he has shown an ability to develop chemistry with anyone (Dubi and Karlsson more recently).

More generally, I would like to see where we are after the dust settles from the Jones acquisition before swinging another NHL trade.

alphafox

Jun 14, 2011
I just don't see it, unless it is part of a bigger deal to give us cap relief. NY has the money to handle a big salary, but not the cap room, unless we take back an expiring or two.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We're not rebuilding. The Joey/Jones trade might make us better off immediately.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
:laugh:

What do the Rangers have to offer? They don't have cap space to take a cap dump along with Cam and have nothing to offer that we would want.

Would you do Atkinson for Brassard? I'm not saying the Rangers would. I'm not saying I would. I'm just curious if everyone thinks WE would if given the chance?
Candidly, I'd like to keep Atkinson right now.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, Cam has proven to be a real a-hole in negotiations. It took all of 5 minutes for him to sign his last deal, that rat *******. He didn't even hold out for part of training camp! Scum bag.

Unreal.

Cam was offered fair market value. Johansen was not. Not even close.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
I think you listen to every offer - we're a last place team.

I think at the deadline there could be opportunities to move pieces if teams are desperate and if there are few sellers.

I don't think we should move Cam but if someone offers the right thing (as mentioned a #1 draft pick or top level prospect) I think you have to offer.

But the CBJ should be listening to every call for every player.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
My point is that Johansen WAS a doosh in negotiations and this, in some way, likely contributed to his departure. Cam has never been a problem, so your silly comparison above has no basis in reality.

He is being a smart you know what and a troll. No need to reply to him. That will only make him post more.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Would you accept a 1st for Cam?

I'd be tempted. Without admitting it, the FO has to know this is a lost season.

I have soft spots for guys the same size as me who can hack it in the NHL, I'd like to see him as a career Jacket.

No way. Cam isn't 34. It doesn't matter what this season is. Cam is part of the future. It would take a lot more for me to trade him.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Would you do Atkinson for Brassard? I'm not saying the Rangers would. I'm not saying I would. I'm just curious if everyone thinks WE would if given the chance?

No, I wouldn't. I'd rather have Cam.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

Its a bigger cap hit but Brass has put up some good numbers in NY. I'd consider it but I don't think so. Cam could be entering his MSL period. :laugh:

Zarathustra

This is not my hat.
Nov 21, 2007
Salzburg
Whatever his attitude is like off the ice, his on ice attitude has been stellar. He is well conditioned and able to play in all situations at any point in the game. Late in the 3rd period, he is still skating hard and taking long shifts to apply the forecheck and get the puck in deep.

I think he is a keeper. For his contract, age, and utility I don't think we get good value back.

He is streaky, but he has shown an ability to develop chemistry with anyone (Dubi and Karlsson more recently).

More generally, I would like to see where we are after the dust settles from the Jones acquisition before swinging another NHL trade.

THis is true, but I think the biggest knock on him was his inability to play in traffic, which I think contributed to his streakiness.

Lately however, especially in the past week or three, I've been watching him and sometimes he skates in the offensive zone with the puck like no one can touch him. At times he looks scary good. His passing I think has improved a bit as well.

Definitely would be disappointed if we traded him, him and Dubi seem to have great chemistry.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
This is not the right thread, but this sentiment is not getting enough play.

Because Joey will be better than Ribero. The same can't be said about Jones. Torts even said, going to stick him on a line with Murray and let him play. See what they got...i guess

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
We're not rebuilding. The Joey/Jones trade might make us better off immediately.

We can't be worse.

We need to take our lumps, team needs to learn how to win 3-2 games. They need to learn how to be competitive every night, play together as a team (especially in D and neutral zones). That means playing the kids in crucial situations - let them learn on the fly, but keep veterans around that know how to win (hopefully guys like Dubi, etc). Maybe it means letting Bob rest his groin for a long while.

I hope management looks long-term. This trade wasn't about winning in 2015-16 or even 2016-17. This trade was about the future. Now if something amazing happens now or next year so be it, but expectations need to be tempered.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
We can't be worse.

Brandon Gormley was put on waivers today. He was the guy we might have drafted instead of Joey.

It can always be worse. Always. NEVER make a decision based on "it can't get worse" - that is a panic move, and that will destroy you, and you will undoubtedly quickly learn just how wrong that assumption was.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Doubt it, Torts loves the guy and he's just getting started here. He's picked up his game. And what would we even trade him for? Picks does nothing for us, we have tons of prospects. We need goals, Cam gives us goals. Defense is still a question mark.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This is not the right thread, but this sentiment is not getting enough play.

OF COURSE it will make us better immediately. Joey was passing instead of shooting and not hustling back on defense. He's off the ice and our defense is better now. Now, losing last year's Joey would hurt, but that happened to us the first week of the regular season.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
You know thinking about it a bit and playing around with lines I just might trade Cam for Brass. Especially if the Rangers retained a million in salary. We are short a C imo and we have wingers galore if you include prospects. Brass joining Dubi-Wennberg-Karlsson would give us a nice 4.

It would also leave Jenner at the wing and provide space for both Rychel & Anderson.

I can't wait for the boo birds to denounce this but to me it makes sense from a position and a points perspective. Take the names away and based on the numbers it looks good to me. :popcorn:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
You know thinking about it a bit and playing around with lines I just might trade Cam for Brass. Especially if the Rangers retained a million in salary. We are short a C imo and we have wingers galore if you include prospects. Brass joining Dubi-Wennberg-Karlsson would give us a nice 4.

It would also leave Jenner at the wing and provide space for both Rychel & Anderson.

I can't wait for the boo birds to denounce this but to me it makes sense from a position and a points perspective. Take the names away and based on the numbers it looks good to me. :popcorn:
I disagree with the suggestion that we're "short a C" - we have Wennberg, Jenner, Dubinsky, Karlsson, and if needed Campbell and Foligno. We're in fine shape in that regard.

That and Brass has found chemistry with Nash in New York that he never had here, so the Rangers would want much more for him than just Atkinson and some small plus.

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio

Don't consider myself a boo bird, but that's a hard no from me on trading Cam to get Brass back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad