Is Artemi Panarin a Hall of Fame Winger?

Toby91ca

Oct 17, 2022
5 years at 60 points tacks on another 300 points on top of whatever else he accumulates this season which would clear 1000 point bar. I agree that Panarin has had a consistent peak since joining the league. Unfortunately COVID robbed him of ~50 games in his prime across 2 seasons would add another 60-70 points

Again, I’m of the belief that Panarin is right on the cusp as is. One more elite season + 2-3 seasons at decent production should get him over the HHOF hump.

An alternate path to boost his candidacy would be a Cup Win and Panarin getting the Conn Smythe
COVID didn't rob him of ~50 games, it was like 37-38. On the topic though, if he retired today he has zero chance in getting in (in my opinion).....that said, he has a decent chance to get there based on current trajectory.....but it's not a foregone conclusion.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
To bump this thread up, Panarin hit 100 points (120 final tally) for the season and just missed a 50 goal season (49). This should put him in line for a 1st team All-Star selection and gives him career totals of 672 - 265 - 516 - 781.

For his career that would be his 2nd time being selected to 1st Team All-Star, 2x 2nd All-Star team, All-Rookie, and Calder.

As a comp, Paul Kariya was selected to 1st All-Star 3x and 2nd Team 2x + All Rookie, 2 Byngs, 2x 100 points along with a 99 point season and 1x 50g. Career totals of PPG over exactly 989 games.

Another 100 point season, Stanley Cup, or one Conn Smythe-worthy playoff run should secure his spot in HHOF. Any combination of those achievements would pretty much solidify his placement.

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
As a comp, Paul Kariya was selected to 1st All-Star 3x and 2nd Team 2x + All Rookie, 2 Byngs, 2x 100 points along with a 99 point season and 1x 50g. Career totals of PPG over exactly 989 games.
HHOF isn't the NHL HOF, so Kariya is a really bad comparison. Kariya has a Hobey Baker and college national championship. Also WJC gold, World Championship gold, Olympic gold. Unfortunately for Panarin, he has just a WJC gold and likely has little chance at any more international hardware due to issues out of his control. All this said, I think his current production is sustainable for at least a couple more years and he easily eclipses 1000 points and being over PPG gets him in regardless.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
Agreed that Kariya does have more collegiate and international accolades / championships which probably give his candidacy a decent bump. Beyond the WJC gold Panarin also has 2x WC bronze, 1x WC silver, KHL cup, KHL 1st team all-star, and WC best forward and 1st Team in 2017.

While none of these individually stack up to an Olympic gold medal in totality these non-NHL accomplishments bolster Panarin’s candidacy and evidence his place as a difference maker.

His peak is on par with the leagues best over the course of his career. 2x top 5 finishes,1x top 10, and 2x top 15. What he lacks is longevity and a championship.

Even without a cup he could make the HHOF by simply tacking on 200-300 which would get him to 1k. What differentiators him from the Tkachuk, Roenicks, and Mogilny is his continued elite play. Since 2017 season he is averaging 102 points per 82 game season. Thats 6 years + worth of games. Either way heres hoping he wins the Cup this year and puts any questions to bed

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
As his new running mate lafreniere continues to blossom, panarin will have a great soft landing as he ages. Given that he is an iq/playmaker type first and foremost, he should be able to keep putting up points for enough more years to make it a real conversation.

Provided he scores in the playoffs this year.

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
I think he has at least 3 years as an elite winger left in the tank, if that rings true I think he will be a lock.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
I think he has at least 3 years as an elite winger left in the tank, if that rings true I think he will be a lock.
Agreed. In terms of comparables for his career and playing style it’s tough to think of a good match. His hockey IQ is elite, he has decent speed and a good shot, and has shown the ability to consistently put up PPG+ seasons. Patrick Kane was probably a bit flashier, better skater, and more dangerous around the net and MSL was much tougher, got to the dirty areas more frequently and had a great one-timer.

Kane’s age 33 season saw him put up 92 points followed by 57 points at age 34. MSL went 80, 94, 99 between 33-35.

If Panarin stays elite (PPG pace) for 3 seasons then he’s >1k points. If he drops to even 200 points total over 3 seasons that still should be enough. Interesting to watch how his career plays out

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
WJ Championshop, Calder, Gagarin Cup, Hart Nominee, 120 point season, currently 18th all time in points per game

He’s a lock if the rest of his career is half decent.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
if he retired tomorrow, no.

but i think he's pushed himself from a sub-50% chance based on how things were tracking in his career to a >50% chance based on this season.

if he's healthy and continues to put up a couple more 100+ point seasons, he will be in. playoff success this year would go a long way towards it too.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Don’t say the first major trophy.

How many major trophies do you think there are and which ones?
Hart, Ross, Rocket, Smythe, Pearson. Those are the major awards. Those are the only awards that are consequential for forwards to win when it comes to HOF considerations.

Also think Selke is a big deal *IF* you win multiple and have really good/great offensive numbers too.

Datsyuk, Bergeron, Kopitar, and eventually Barkov are examples of guys that will make it in on Selkes + good numbers with no other major awards.

Calder has been won by guys like Barrett Jackman, Tyler Myers, Steve Mason, Andrew Raycroft in the last 20 years. Major awards don't get won by players of that ilk.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
If Panarin gets 1st team all star this year then he would have 2 first teams and 2 second teams. I think the only player not in the hall with comparable post season all star selections is carl brewer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad