Is Artemi Panarin a Hall of Fame Winger?

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
"Easy hall of famer" is a stretch.

Yes, he peaked high offensively, but you need more than that to get in.

Naslund peaked higher than Panarin

Goals: 2, 5, 7, 7
PPG: 4, 5, 6
GPG: 2, 7, 9

Hart: 2, 5, 5

Won a pearson.

Compare that to Panarin's stat and award placements in my earlier post. Naslund has the clear edge yet he still isn't in.

Panarin needs some more onsistency as a Top 10 point producer. Yeah, Panarin has been more consistent outside of his best years than Naskund has, by quite a bit actually. But top 25 PPG finishes aren't likely to get you anywhere when talking about the HHOF unless you reach certain milestones (which the HHOF overvalues imo)

That being said... they've inducted worse players than Panarin so I wouldn't be surprised if he's in eventually. But it's far from an "easy" induction. I also wouldn't be surprised if he was left off considering they've done the same to players on a similar level to him. Naslund, Turgeon, LeClair, Fleury, come to mind.
Naslund's peak is higher than Panarin's, but Naslund's high-level play in the NHL was pretty short-lived. Panarin has been a high level player since his first season in the NHL with Chicago. He did finish 10th in league scoring that year.

Panarin has been a high-level player in the NHL for 9 seasons if we include this one. Naslund was really only a high level player for 5 seasons. Really not enough to justify a hall of fame induction. Panarin's offense could fall off after this season to that of a 60-70 point player for the next 5 or 6 years, but that lengthy peak of 9 seasons will be enough to justify his induction into the hall of fame.

maddskkilz

Jan 27, 2016
5 years at 60 points tacks on another 300 points on top of whatever else he accumulates this season which would clear 1000 point bar. I agree that Panarin has had a consistent peak since joining the league. Unfortunately COVID robbed him of ~50 games in his prime across 2 seasons would add another 60-70 points

Again, I’m of the belief that Panarin is right on the cusp as is. One more elite season + 2-3 seasons at decent production should get him over the HHOF hump.

An alternate path to boost his candidacy would be a Cup Win and Panarin getting the Conn Smythe

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Rangers fan here, he’s probably their best free agent signing ever, and I still don’t think he’s on track to get in. His entire resume right now is the Calder and regular season points. No major individual trophies, no Cups, and his own fans get on him for disappearing in playoffs.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That's fair, but if the argument for a player is 'the HHOF has trash standards so basically anybody can get in' then there's not much point to these kinda polls. We kinda have to pretend the HHOF is decided by merit and not by politics in order to have interesting discussions.

Personally for me, I think the description you offered for Panarin fits a guy like Eric Staal. Hell of a player. Loved watching him play. Playoff juggernaut in the 2006 Carolina win.

I still think if you had a grand leather-bound book of the history of the NHL, and got to the mid-oughts to 20s, you could tell the story of what mattered in the NHL without naming him.

For me it's not only what players were scoring, but what players were top of mind, what players were being talked about.

Not making a case for bread here but this is entirely arbitrary. By that measure Zegras is already a HOFer.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Rangers fan here, he’s probably their best free agent signing ever, and I still don’t think he’s on track to get in. His entire resume right now is the Calder and regular season points. No major individual trophies, no Cups, and his own fans get on him for disappearing in playoffs.

I'm pretty sure the HOF voters won't be checking HFNYR.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
I know this isn't the be-all end-all of discussion, but in his 8 previous seasons he's only been the best player on his own team for 3 of them, with two being on those scrappy CBJ teams, and moving forward that won't change. In other words, i can only count 3 seasons where his absence would have been to most impactful to his own team.

It's not his fault he played with Kane and now Fox + Shesterkin, but there aren't many HOFers who only had 3 seasons as the best player on their own team AND had 0 playoff success.

IchabodCrane

Mar 11, 2023
Bottom line: do something in the playoffs and then talk to me about HOF. You need to help your team win when it counts.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Given the most recent classes, yes he is.

Are you telling me Kevin Lowe was a better player?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I know this isn't the be-all end-all of discussion, but in his 8 previous seasons he's only been the best player on his own team for 3 of them, with two being on those scrappy CBJ teams, and moving forward that won't change. In other words, i can only count 3 seasons where his absence would have been to most impactful to his own team.

It's not his fault he played with Kane and now Fox + Shesterkin, but there aren't many HOFers who only had 3 seasons as the best player on their own team AND had 0 playoff success.
I know none of those guys are Lemieux but what about Jagr and Lemiuex, Fedorov and Lidstrom/Yzerman?

The guy had one bad playoff series and now he can't do anything in the playoffs.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I know none of those guys are Lemieux but what about Jagr and Lemiuex, Fedorov and Lidstrom/Yzerman?

The guy had one bad playoff series and now he can't do anything in the playoffs.
Yeah but those guys won Cups so I guess... :dunno:

"You have to be the best player on your own team most of the time and if you're not, you have to win the Stanley Cup" seems like such an oddly specific qualifier designed just to criticize Panarin.

By 2016-17, he was a better all-around player than Kane, by far the best player on CBJ, and then a Hart finalist his first year with the Rangers.

That's every year he played in the NHL except his rookie year, and then he ran into Adam Fox.

And Panarin is 7 years older than Fox. Here's how Peak Panarin and Peak Fox compare:

download (35).png

download (36).png

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Yeah but those guys won Cups so I guess... :dunno:

"You have to be the best player on your own team most of the time and if you're not, you have to win the Stanley Cup" seems like such an oddly specific qualifier designed just to criticize Panarin.

By 2016-17, he was a better all-around player than Kane, by far the best player on CBJ, and then a Hart finalist his first year with the Rangers.

That's every year he played in the NHL except his rookie year, and then he ran into Adam Fox.

And Panarin is 7 years older than Fox. Here's how Peak Panarin and Peak Fox compare:

View attachment 765062
View attachment 765063

Something tells me that if he was a #1 overall pick with the exact same career the responses would be different.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
He's been a 90 point threat for a few seasons in a row now. If he can manage to stay healthy and productive for another 3-4 seasons, I think he gets in on numbers and his league status as a top producing talent over 10 years, even if his individual trophy case remains with just the Calder. He could use a capstone playoff run to seal the deal though.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Something tells me that if he was a #1 overall pick with the exact same career the responses would be different.
I think the main thing that hurts his HOF argument is being a late bloomer. He had a good but not HHOF career in Russia, and then he exploded at 24 and came to the NHL his age 25 season.

That's 6, 7 years of a time when most guys are playing their peak hockey. It hurts your resume.

He's definitely been a HOF-caliber player in the window he's been in the NHL.

Busher

May 17, 2021
He has a legitimate shot, and there are only few active wingers in their primes you can say that about. Kucherov, Pastrnak, Marner, Rantanen and Panarin are some that come to mind where they have had enough great seasons that you can say “if they keep this up”, or “if they only do this”, then they’d eventually make the Hall.

What goes against Panarin is his age as he started later, whereas the others are still younger and have more time to build their cases (Kucherov is the only one who could retire today and get in). Still, Panarin is on track, and that’s more than you can say for others.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York

No #1 pick would make his NHL debut 5 years after being drafted .

That’s the only thing that’s preventing him from being a HoF playler, because every year he’s been the league he’s been elite

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

Those players won multiple cups and individual trophies. Panarin has neither besides the Calder. Without hardware, panarin would have to distinguish himself otherwise to be HHOF worthy, and one way players do that is being the leader and best player on a franchise. I'm thinking of players like Sundin or alfredsson.

I also didn't say he can't do anything in the playoffs, I said he's had 0 playoff success. 3 series wins and scoring well below his normal pace.

I'm not trying to rag on him, I'm trying to find what separates him to be considered one of the best all time.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Jagr and Lemiuex, Fedorov and Lidstrom/Yzerman?
I am not sure a fully follow here.

Jagr won 2 cup right away and was the best players on his team way more than 3 times, the guy won 5 Art Ross, the RedWings guy were swimming in playoff success for a while, 2 of them have a Conn Smythe and Federov had 4 20pts playoff in a row, lead the playoff in pts, in assist a couple of time, in goal aone time while being a 2way force

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad