Is Anybody else Hearing the RUMOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

19nazzy

Jul 14, 2003
bleedgreen said:
im not seeing the story - headline? what region?
Click your region and click the link again. Basically its about how the NHL and NHLPA are meeting on Thurs. and mentions nothing of the rumour. Frankly it states how the offer might not even be good enough for the owners. It was put up on their site about 3/4 hours ago so.....

struckmatch

Jul 28, 2003
Vancouver
Man, now that I have to keep trying to not get my hopes up, I'm going to be absolutely furious if this is just some made up fodder passed on from message board to message board.

Excuse me while I pray for NHL hockey. :bow: :bow: :bow:

MrMackey

Aug 7, 2003
cgy
Visit site
I just did some quick math with the numbers being thrown around. Just on the luxury tax issue... the players are now rumored to be offering a 75% tax on payroll over $40M. Using last year's numbers, that would equate to nearly $12M, on average, to each of the 16 teams under $40M. Compare that against the last offer, which I believe was 20% on $45M... that rolls out to $2.1M for each of the 18 teams.

Add to that a larger rollback in salaries and significant revenue sharing, and you have to wonder if the players' rock hard stance was worth it. This obviously creates a significant drag on salaries, and was a lot more than I thought would ever happen. Of course its all open to speculation at this point, as we haven't seen the proposal... but one would have to think that an agreement would be close.

I think this would be a great deal for the game.

corbanSOG

Registered Loser
Apr 27, 2003
man, this thread has totally got my hopes up. i thought the season was beyond rescue, but if the rumors are right, this would make my year. of course, if they turn out to be false i'm gonna be even more crushed.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
Don't expect the NHL to accept this offer...but also don't expect the season to be cancelled because of said rejection either. The game playing isn't done yet, not by a long shot.

IMO a deal will get done, but I think both sides will drag it out.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
NHL will make a counter-proposal, I very much think that they won't simply refuse this latest offer.

I.am.ca

Rumours are Rumours, just things people make up to cause a stir.

Till i hear something official from the meetings that take place, i am not going to bet on anything.

SENSible1*

The NHL will counter with a full CBA offer containing cost certainty.

It will be designed with two purposes in mind. Squeeze further concessions out of the players on a luxury tax system. Establish the bargaining in good faith position necessary for impasse should the PA remain recalcitrant.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
joepeps said:
I say to show them the fans pay thier bill..

NO ONE GOES TO AN NHL GAME FOR ATLEAST 1 MONTH.......

LET THEM PLAY IN AN EMPTY ARENA :dunno:

And will you be willing to pay my tab for a month of tickets???

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Right now it's rumour but I wish it was true, I can't wait for going on TSN and headline story is NHL has reached an agreement with the NHLPA. :D

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
MrMackey said:
I just did some quick math with the numbers being thrown around. Just on the luxury tax issue... the players are now rumored to be offering a 75% tax on payroll over $40M. Using last year's numbers, that would equate to nearly $12M, on average, to each of the 16 teams under $40M. Compare that against the last offer, which I believe was 20% on $45M... that rolls out to $2.1M for each of the 18 teams.

Add to that a larger rollback in salaries and significant revenue sharing, and you have to wonder if the players' rock hard stance was worth it. This obviously creates a significant drag on salaries, and was a lot more than I thought would ever happen. Of course its all open to speculation at this point, as we haven't seen the proposal... but one would have to think that an agreement would be close.

I think this would be a great deal for the game.
Actually, a higher luxury tax is going to add to the average salary of the players.
That's just smoke and mirrors from Goodenow.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
how can anyone really think that an entire season will be cancelled? Do you really think , after cost-benefit analysis, that the NHL would not lose out far worse by cancelling a season then they would in a luxury tax environment?

SENSible1*

scaredsensfan said:
how can anyone really think that an entire season will be cancelled? Do you really think , after cost-benefit analysis, that the NHL would not lose out far worse by cancelling a season then they would in a luxury tax environment?

The long term benefits of crushing the union may be attractive enough to the owners to make them be willing to pay the short term cost.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
It is impossible to crush a union that has the option to decertify at any time. You really think the players would stay under horrible working conditions ? How dumb are you. If the NHL even TRIED to win an impasse agaisnt them next season they could threaten decertification. Then the NHL could not impose a CBA and never get a cap.

Keep on with your illogical position!

SENSible1*

scaredsensfan said:
It is impossible to crush a union that has the option to decertify at any time. You really think the players would stay under horrible working conditions ? How dumb are you. If the NHL even TRIED to win an impasse agaisnt them next season they could threaten decertification. Then the NHL could not impose a CBA and never get a cap.

The NHL would welcome decertification with open arms.

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The NHL would welcome decertification with open arms.

Oh yes.. I am sure they would. No draft, no player rights, no CBA, LOL. Ok there, that would be great for all the mid market and small market owners who could never win a free market bidding war for elite players.

Let me guess what comes next, the owners 'collude' and offer ridiculously low contracts, yeah, Im sure the players will keep trying to playh in the NHL when they can get better contracts elsewhere.

Youre lack of logic is outstanding. You really think a sports league can work without a players union?

SENSible1*

scaredsensfan said:
Oh yes.. I am sure they would. No draft, no player rights, no CBA, LOL. Ok there, that would be great for all the mid market and small market owners who could never win a free market bidding war for elite players.

Let me guess what comes next, the owners 'collude' and offer ridiculously low contracts, yeah, Im sure the players will keep trying to playh in the NHL when they can get better contracts elsewhere.

Youre lack of logic is outstanding. You really think a sports league can work without a players union?

1) Unions keep salaries artificially high. Owners would welcome the opporutinity to flood the market and watch salaries drop accordingly.

2) The owners don't need to collude, they only need to offer enough money to pay more than their competition in Europe.

3) Who says that another more reasonable union wouldn't form?

Go Flames Go*

These rumours are too good to be true there will be no season.

I.am.ca

scaredsensfan said:

Average Salary of about 1.3 or something million...OMG such crappy working conditions, i think i deserve such crappy working conditions.

:shakehead :shakehead :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad