Is Anybody else Hearing the RUMOR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
That the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on something and the season could possibly start up on Jan 28th?

I heard it from another board...saying something about Devils Mangment was told that season could be starting on that day...I ignored it..then i heard TSN (TV Channel) was starting to hint that there might be an agreement that is close or done...and last I heard that on Sportnets (channel) that they were talking about this as well..but nobody has anything but small details and nothing concrete enought to post an article about yet.

Of course this is just a rumor but I was just wondering if anybody has been hearing of it...I spoke to a some people and they said they heard it also but just small details. If anybody knows anything more please post.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone...let us pray for an NHL Season.

JWhelan

Feb 26, 2004
Newfoundland
My fingers are crossed, as are my toes, eyes, legs, arms and anything else I can possibly cross on my body.

I myself have not heard any of the rumors, but I feel asleep early last night, so never got a chance to watch TSN/Sportsnet.

It would be great if someone has some evidence of this rumor.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
look at your timeline. saskin publically trashes bettman as incapable of doing his job only the have the announcement of new meetings, which based on this rumor are to announce an agreement?? those two things dont go together at all.

wishful thinking.

Tadite

Feb 27, 2002
Rhode Island
Visit site
what are the chances? I would say close to nothing right now....

But what do I know i'm in the states and no one has even noticed that hockey is gone....

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
I really do think the season will be saved. I hope this is true. I think that it's a possibility that the meeting on Thursday and Friday could lead to an announcement that the season will start soon. They already met at lunch and I think something is going on. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the proposal is already in the Leagues hands from the Union and they are reviewing it right now. :teach:

Go Flames Go*

PanthersRule said:
I really do think the season will be saved. I hope this is true. I think that it's a possibility that the meeting on Thursday and Friday could lead to an announcement that the season will start soon. They already met at lunch and I think something is going on. I wouldn't be surprised at all if the proposal is already in the Leagues hands from the Union and they are reviewing it right now. :teach:

Don't get your hopes up buddy there likley wont be a season. The NHLPA's refusal to accept the Cap, or any sort or salary restraints will lead to the season being annuounced at cancelled from the meetings.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
PanthersRule said:

Well if that is the case and they do have the proposal in here hands then I would consider that GREAT news...why..because if the owners havnt come out and said "the players are not proposing a realistic proposal" then they must be taking it serious and negoiating on something...which would give high high hopes for a season.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
That the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on something and the season could possibly start up on Jan 28th?

I heard it from another board...saying something about Devils Mangment was told that season could be starting on that day...I ignored it..then i heard TSN (TV Channel) was starting to hint that there might be an agreement that is close or done...and last I heard that on Sportnets (channel) that they were talking about this as well..

You get Sportsnet and TSN down there?

Well, this is the time when a deal either has to be reached or no hockey for the year. When was the last deal struck after the 94 work stoppage? Anyone remember? They started playing hockey in Jan, but I don’t remember when a deal was reached.

Here's hoping...

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Cawz said:

Well, this is the time when a deal either has to be reached or no hockey for the year. When was the last deal struck after the 94 work stoppage? Anyone remember? They started playing hockey in Jan, but I don’t remember when a deal was reached.

Here's hoping...

No, this is all 2nd hand info from friends living in cananda. I have not heard any of this myself. But more the one person told me about this which is why I reported on here. Of course that is also why I CAPed the word RUMOR to let people know theres a good chance its not true.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Cawz said:

Here's hoping...

Dont quote me on this, my memory isn't always the best. But i think a deal was reached in early January.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
No, this is all 2nd hand info from friends living in cananda. I have not heard any of this myself. But more the one person told me about this which is why I reported on here. Of course that is also why I CAPed the word RUMOR to let people know theres a good chance its not true.
Yup, theres a good chance it isnt true, but contrary to popular belief, neither side’s stance is as hard as it appears, and neither side wants to lose the whole season. I'm pessimisticly optimistic that they can get something done.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
PanthersRule said:

I have no doubt the league has all the details of the proposal if not the proposal itself. The fact they agreed to meet about it is encouraging.

I think we'll know by the end of the week whether there's a season or not. If the league doesn't negotiate off this proposal, they obviously have no intention of playing this year. If they do negotiate off it, I think they most definitely can hammer out a deal within 4 weeks, probably less.

joepeps

Jan 2, 2004
Toronto
Visit site
Yeah

I say to show them the fans pay thier bill..

NO ONE GOES TO AN NHL GAME FOR ATLEAST 1 MONTH.......

LET THEM PLAY IN AN EMPTY ARENA :dunno:

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Cawz said:

Here's hoping...

From memory it was around Jan 8th and Betman had set a drop dead date of mid-January. Because they weren't locked out till the eve of the regular season, they were able to start right away by late Jan and award the Stanley cup right around the end of June after playing a 48 game season.

This time it's different 'cuz there was no training camp, alot of guys are still unsigned, & they've been rebooking the arena's 45 days in advance.....

I think by the end of the week, if we hear the owners have stopped booking their arenas out in February, they're onto something....... granted it's still a ways away, but Rod Stewart just got announced to play WPG in March. The only other CDN date booked is Saskatoon 3 nights later....... obviously, that's not saying much, but maybe owners have been asked to stop booking until further notice??

CH Wizard

I hope it's true !!! :shakehead

If it's not the Marshy guy on this message board gonna be killed in one week.

Poor Marshy if not true ! :joker:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Benji Frank said:
but Rod Stewart just got announced to play WPG in March. The only other CDN date booked is Saskatoon 3 nights later....... obviously, that's not saying much, but maybe owners have been asked to stop booking until further notice??
Wow, youre right. Thats definatly not a coincidence that Saskatoon and Winnipeg are the only Canadian dates so far...

SopelFan*

joepeps said:
I say to show them the fans pay thier bill..

NO ONE GOES TO AN NHL GAME FOR ATLEAST 1 MONTH.......

LET THEM PLAY IN AN EMPTY ARENA :dunno:
If there was a season, I'd go to MORE games to make up for lost time.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
FLYLine4LIFE said:

I heard it from another board...saying something about Devils Mangment was told that season could be starting on that day...I ignored it..then i heard TSN (TV Channel) was starting to hint that there might be an agreement that is close or done...and last I heard that on Sportnets (channel) that they were talking about this as well..but nobody has anything but small details and nothing concrete enought to post an article about yet.

Of course this is just a rumor but I was just wondering if anybody has been hearing of it...I spoke to a some people and they said they heard it also but just small details. If anybody knows anything more please post.

Keep your fingers crossed everyone...let us pray for an NHL Season.

Not a chance. You dont think its going to end this easy do you? These lawyers dont get paid thousands of dollars an hour for giving up like that.

As much as the pressure may seem to be on the owners now, that will change. Posturing like throwing the offer back in the players faces and then walking out of the room like last time, may not go over well even amongst their own supporters, but reject it they surely will.

I bet the owners will put forth some sort of offer that will put the pressure square back on the players. And it will be very hard on them to reject. And the season will get to a point where it has seemed to have slipped away.

It will be interesting to see how the owners measure their response. The players are convinced that rejection of working out a deal based on their framework means the owners arent interested in a solution but only union busting. And thats not a battle the players will be fighting on their own. The owners are surely going to push until the uncomfortableness meter is through the roof. After all, it only hurts the fans, and most of them support no hockey. Why not go for it?

There already is a cap - the rookie cap. There are huge restrictions on free agency, and further restrictions offered. There will be an overall link between salaries and revenues over the NHL's dead body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad