Is Anton Stralman in a Tenuous Spot with Rangers?

Steve Kournianos

@thedraftanalyst
"Stralman was a nobody that came from the garbage heap"

And Dan Girardi was a nobody that was undrafted.

And Zuccarello was too small, weak, and not quick enough to make it in the NHL.

It doesn't matter where they came from, it matters where they are and what they are now.

Stralman has developed into a legitimate top four, borderline top pair caliber defender.

Again, you're missing the point. The Rangers gave Stralman the opportunity, therefore, it would be nice if he gave the the chance to match. If he likes it here.

And he's nowhere near a top pairing defender. Holy ****.

SupersonicMonkey*

Again, you're missing the point. The Rangers gave Stralman the opportunity, therefore, it would be nice if he gave the the chance to match. If he likes it here.

And he's nowhere near a top pairing defender. Holy ****.

Yes he is.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Guys going to get paid, we all knew it. Given some of the UFA contracts that have gone thru NY fans should know that all it takes is one crazy team. Stralman will be a player that teams overpay for because he is a scarce commodity in the league.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Stralman will get deservedly paid. I think Sather and Gorton have set a reasonable cap on what they're willing to pay Stralman and are standing firm to it, especially when you factor in the depth the team has on the back end (assuming they hang on to Staal). My issue is that they're inevitably going to overpay some ex-all-star burnout with the loose change. Might as well give it to Stralman if that is the case.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
That Tweet is out-of-context BS, but I always expected Stralman to get $5M+ AAV. When Matt Carle, Dennis Wideman, and Andrew Macdonald are all making at least that much, why should Stralman settle for any less?

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
That Tweet is out-of-context BS, but I always expected Stralman to get $5M+ AAV. When Matt Carle, Dennis Wideman, and Andrew Macdonald are all making at least that much, why should Stralman settle for any less?

Carle and Wideman scored a lot more points leading up to their contracts. MacDonald was signed by Philly and therefore any comparisons are moot as their front office seems certifiably insane. MacDonald is awful.

I think Strålman signs for someone (hopefully the Rangers) in the $4.5M-$4.75M/year region.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Stralman will get deservedly paid. I think Sather and Gorton have set a reasonable cap on what they're willing to pay Stralman and are standing firm to it, especially when you factor in the depth the team has on the back end (assuming they hang on to Staal). My issue is that they're inevitably going to overpay some ex-all-star burnout with the loose change. Might as well give it to Stralman if that is the case.

Not if it's for 1/2 years vs 5/6 for Stralman. I'd rather have the flexibility early down the road.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
Yeah. Never implied that his past should impact amount or that he isn't deserving of a raise.

Just saying since the Rangers did hi a huge favor, it would be nice if he gave them a small one.

The Rangers did not do him any favors. They found a player who produced at a price under his value. Any team would've gladly taken him off the Rangers hands throughout this time. Had he failed when the Rangers first signed him, they would have absolutely no problem dumping him and forcing him to either play in the minors or coach high school gym. In fact, this whole forum would demand this.

The only reason he stuck with the team was not any "favor" but rather his own play, which was superior to any other options the Rangers had.

He got no favors and he owes nobody a favor.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course

Yep, that ex-all-star burnout appears to be Dan Boyle:

The Blueshirts would have interest in Boyle, known throughout his career as an offensive weapon at both even-strength and from the power play point, if general manager Glen Sather is unable to lock up Anton Stralman, their own impending free agent right defenseman, to a multi-year deal in the neighborhood of $4 million per year.

As of early Wednesday evening, by which time the Rangers’ front office contingent had descended on Philadelphia in advance of the Entry Draft that will be conducted on Friday (first round) and Saturday, Stralman was believed to be scouring the market

http://nypost.com/2014/06/25/rangers-interested-in-offensive-defenseman-dan-boyle/

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I'll say this again.. The Rangers simply can not afford to invest 20M dollars into their blueline with Mcdonagh being the only player (that includes Stralman) that has any offensive potential.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
I'll say this again.. The Rangers simply can not afford to invest 20M dollars into their blueline with Mcdonagh being the only player (that includes Stralman) that has any offensive potential.

I would sign Stralman and then deal away Klein. Not because I don't like Klein - I do - but rather because we can get something back for him and we can't get anything back for losing Stralman to free agency. I am also more confident in Stralman on the second pairing than Klein.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
I would sign Stralman and then deal away Klein. Not because I don't like Klein - I do - but rather because we can get something back for him and we can't get anything back for losing Stralman to free agency. I am also more confident in Stralman on the second pairing than Klein.

Klein is on a great contract.. I like the 4M per offer we have for Stralman, no way I would pay him 5M, which is 2M more than what Klein is making, he's simply not 2M more better, that money could be better used upgrading the offense.

Brooklyn Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Brooklyn, of course
Klein is on a great contract.. I like the 4M per offer we have for Stralman, no way I would pay him 5M, which is 2M more than what Klein is making, he's simply not 2M more better, that money could be better used upgrading the offense.

We don't know if money is the issue or the term of the contract is.

And I'm in the minority here, but I think Klein is not a good option for anything but the 3rd pair--as soon a couple of kids are ready I would trade him sooner, rather than later (if Stralman is re-signed). I think the more minutes Klein plays, the more his lack of speed is exposed.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
We don't know if money is the issue or the term of the contract is.

And I'm in the minority here, but I think Klein is not a good option for anything but the 3rd pair--as soon a couple of kids are ready I would trade him sooner, rather than later (if Stralman is re-signed). I think the more minutes Klein plays, the more his lack of speed is exposed.

I don't think you're in the minority. Klein's a third pairing guy making $2.9 million for the next four years. It's a pretty lousy contract actually.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Klein is a third pairing guy and he gets paid way too much for that role.

So you want Michael Del Zotto on that Third pairing g to save$400k in cap space, right?

Because that's the next step down... There is no defender that plays as well as Klein does for little fewer dollars...

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
So you want Michael Del Zotto on that Third pairing g to save$400k in cap space, right?

Because that's the next step down... There is no defender that plays as well as Klein does for little fewer dollars...

If we re-sign Stralman, we could wind up slotting in McIlrath and flipping Klein by mid-season. I'd love to turn Klein into a 2015 second round pick. That way we could either take three shots at what is supposed to be a very deep draft or package the three seconds to get back into the first round.

Cake or Death

If we re-sign Stralman, we could wind up slotting in McIlrath and flipping Klein by mid-season. I'd love to turn Klein into a 2015 second round pick. That way we could either take three shots at what is supposed to be a very deep draft or package the three seconds to get back into the first round.

You keep saying Klein is a third pair guy on a lousy contract and you then equate that with a round two pick? The last three third pairing d-men traded all snagged round 5 picks. And fwiw Klein played the last 3 or 4 seasons at 19, 20 mins a game in Nashville, which is top 4 ice time. If we move Klein to top 4 in crunch of possibly losing Stralman, Klein's cap hit is really good for a top 4 guy.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
You keep saying Klein is a third pair guy on a lousy contract and you then equate that with a round two pick? The last three third pairing d-men traded all snagged round 5 picks. And fwiw Klein played the last 3 or 4 seasons at 19, 20 mins a game in Nashville, which is top 4 ice time. If we move Klein to top 4 in crunch of possibly losing Stralman, Klein's cap hit is really good for a top 4 guy.

A player's value isn't linked to his actual ability, but the perception of that ability. Klein still has a good rep around the league.

Remember when Douglas Murray, a below replacement-level player, fetched not one but TWO 2nd round picks at the deadline.

Zil

Shrug
Feb 9, 2006
A player's value isn't linked to his actual ability, but the perception of that ability. Klein still has a good rep around the league.

Remember when Douglas Murray, a below replacement-level player, fetched not one but TWO 2nd round picks at the deadline.

I couldn't have said it any better. Klein's a third pairing guy on a bad contract, but there are still lots of teams dumb enough to think he can play second pairing minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad