Is Anton Stralman in a Tenuous Spot with Rangers?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is Anton Stralman in a Tenuous Spot with Rangers?

As the Rangers approach the pre-Olympic trade freeze all the focus is on Ryan Callahan, but circumstances make me wonder what the future holds for another Ranger in Anton Stralman.

The last significant update we’ve had on Stralman was early this year when Katie Strang reported the Rangers have not yet engaged in contract talks with Stralman’s camp. Since that point, the Rangers have acquired right-handed defenseman Kevin Klein and have reportedly made significant progress on a long-term deal with Dan Girardi. Klein is signed for four seasons beyond this one at a cap-hit of $2.9 million. Can the Rangers sign another right defenseman to a long-term deal?

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
It's a shame because I love Stralsy, but I think he goes if we resign G.

He's a great defenseman that would come at a small price tag. Hopefully we'll be able to get some value out of him.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Basically what Matt said.

If Girardi re signs I don't think Stralman stays. Shame though, one of Sather's only reclamation projects that turned out. He turned into a real stand up guy here.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Lose Stralman and we're in nearly the same exact spot we were in last off-season. Struggling to find a decent RD.

Other RD (not RHD) names out there as UFAs

Dan Boyle
Kyle Quincey
Sami Salo
Nick Schultz
Willie Mitchell
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen
Ron Hainsey

some others too.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
If girardi us back they have to let Stralman go so they don't block mcilrath and to save on the cap. Sad but true

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Lose Stralman and we're in nearly the same exact spot we were in last off-season. Struggling to find a decent RD.

Other RD (not RHD) names out there as UFAs

Dan Boyle
Kyle Quincey
Sami Salo
Nick Schultz
Willie Mitchell
Derek Morris
Matt Niskanen
Ron Hainsey

some others too.

Mcilrath will be ready if not close

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Stralman should be dealt to Detroit and Allen brought up
Mac looks far away so far
St Louis has a guy with 18 goals though
In Gordie we bust...

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I'd love to resign Stralman.

He's the perfect RD2-3 on this team and has gotten better each of his years with the Rangers. Take care of Girardi and see if you can get him wrapped up too.

But hes really played himself into getting a very good contract and just like Callahan you cant fault him for going to FA for that last great contract.

I could see someone giving him a solid 4 year deal and given how he was in limbo, not sure where he was going to be - was camp invite a few seasons ago (the Devils dumped him) - he'll want to cash in on that.

The Rangers have so many question marks right now. Stralman has some decent value for sure come the deadline. Probably could get a decent pick for him. 3rd? maybe 2nd?

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Said it before, but if Girardi is going to be re-signed, I think the Rangers will go the Clowe route with Stralman. Flip him for a good asset, and deal a lesser asset for a undervalued player. The Sharks moved Clowe and then picked up Torres for a net gain in assets. Stralman would be sought after in Detroit, IMO.

MortUWary

Registered Loser
Jul 19, 2007
I'd love to resign Stralman.

He's the perfect RD2-3 on this team and has gotten better each of his years with the Rangers. Take care of Girardi and see if you can get him wrapped up too.

But hes really played himself into getting a very good contract and just like Callahan you cant fault him for going to FA for that last great contract.

I could see someone giving him a solid 4 year deal and given how he was in limbo, not sure where he was going to be - was camp invite a few seasons ago (the Devils dumped him) - he'll want to cash in on that.

The Rangers have so many question marks right now. Stralman has some decent value for sure come the deadline. Probably could get a decent pick for him. 3rd? maybe 2nd?

If that's the return, I'd rather hold on to him and try to compete in the playoffs and lose him for nothing. Stralman for the playoffs > a 3rd ~OR~ a 2nd rd crapshoot.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Girardi and Stralman are not that far apart. Girardi has a lot more value and will make a lot more money next year. I would trade G and try to resign Stalman. Just my 2 cents

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Stralman should be dealt to Detroit and Allen brought up
Mac looks far away so far
St Louis has a guy with 18 goals though
In Gordie we bust...

Do you feel the need to incorporate this into every post you make?

We have the best goalie in the world
St. Louis has... uh... Jeff Taffe?
I'm sure they'll be fine with Elliott and Halak

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
stralmans a really strong defenseman, id rather lock him up TBH.

the kids will find a way, there's always injuries and underperforming players.

if you can get him in a 3x3.5 deal, lock him up imho.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
stralmans a really strong defenseman, id rather lock him up TBH.

the kids will find a way, there's always injuries and underperforming players.

if you can get him in a 3x3.5 deal, lock him up imho.
Is that $3.5 million for 3 years, or $3 million for 3.5 years?

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Wow it only took 10 posts to make this about McIlrath.

Allen or McIlrath should at least get a look in camp next year.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I don't see them getting the RH PMD power play guy they want and need. So to me it boils down to Allen or Stralman. McIlrath will probably not be ready yet forcing Klein to move up and take those minutes if they want to let Wrath get sheltered 3rd pairing ice time. This not an ideal scenario. Allen could play the second pair minutes and adjust on the fly next year well before Wrath. If management believes the former to be true then trading Stralman is the smart move, Allen would be cheaper as well next year.

Personally I prefer they sign Stralman, and move Allen next year if he is looking like an NHL defensemen come next season, rather than gamble on him now. If Wrath is eventually knocking on the door move Klein to 7th D.

They have options. That's a good thing.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Wow it only took 10 posts to make this about McIlrath.

Allen or McIlrath should at least get a look in camp next year.

I was surprised with Allen. Seems like he will be a good dman for us. He looked solid as a ranger. On the other hand I'm still upset about the McIlrath pick. I don't understand what justified picking him 10th overall.

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
He doesn't look too close right now. I would rather resign Stralman than Girardi. Stralman just has been a better player this year and will likely command less money

This right here. McIlrath didn't look too good when I saw him and I think it will be at least another season or even two before he can match what Stralman brings.

Why can't we sign both?

SupersonicMonkey*

Would love to retain Stralman. But if they can not, seek a deal wih a team like San Jose and take a flier on a young RHD with offensive upside, such as Matt Tennyson. Shouldn't be too costly.

Brian Boyle to San Jose for Matt Tennyson +

Allow a competition in camp next fall between Tennyson, McIlrath, and Allen for Stralman's vacant spot.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Tie up every spot with a long term contract. None of these guys aren't even offensive players. They're all defense first guys playing for a coach who begs for more offense from his D. Re-signing both Girardi and Stralman with Klein signed for 4 more years. McIlrath will never have the chance to show he is ready or not.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Would love to keep Stralman but he may very well be a cap casualty, if we can get him on a cheap 3 year deal do it, make Allen and Mc really fight for a spot in camp and deal one of Klein, Stralman, Allen if need be.

Or move him at the deadline and let Mc or Allen try and hold the spot.

I could totally see a team with a mediocre defense give him 4+ mil per, that's a commitment we can't afford to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad