Prospect Info: Is Adam Brooks that good?

shakes

Pep City
Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
I don't normally follow prospects not actually in Toronto but I've liked this pickup since the day it was done. It's a shame that more people don't give him credit for what he has done in the last couple of years only make excuses as to why it should be disregarded. Like he's the only overager ever to play in junior. He's been **** on because of his size and how he lacks elite this and elite that but still manages to produce. I hope and think he will do well in the AHL. Probably still won't satisfy those people who think he's not as good as he is.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
I saw him play live once so what I say doesn't come from a large sample. Take it FWIW. But one advantage Brooks may have over some major junior top scorers is that he could play in the bottom six also. He doesn't need to make the top six to play in the NHL. He has a very strong motor, good anticipation, an active stick and can play on the PK. I could see him becoming a 3rd or 4th line defensive center with the good hands to contribute offensively if the opportunity arises.

Of course, that will require both some good development time and some good luck with respect to opportunity

So Garry Valk

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Keep in mind he is 21 already and overager in the WHL and played 5 years in the league.

Makes him older/= than Marner, Nylander, Kappy etc and still playing junior.

He is however an offensive dynamo in the Dub.

like Caputi

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
I wish he was that good, but in almost all certainty, he's not. I think anyone in this thread is wise enough to take a player's age into consideration when projecting junior scoring to NHL success. And Brooks has actually been so strong a scorer at the WHL level, that even after we apply the correct amount of healthy skepticism to those numbers, there's a good deal of hope that he can make it as a run of the mill 2nd liner. But that's all it is... hope. If he does make it, good for him, I'm rooting for him, but he won't be a guy to really look forward to, or someone who will make or break the team.

The question about a player who can score that way in a WHL regular season is always going to be how he responds to higher competition. And I think we've already caught a glimpse of that. He had 2.0 PPG in the WHL regular season, but 1 PPG in the playoffs. These were 16 games against two good teams, and two excellent teams, as opposed to 66 games against a very wide range of opponents ranging from terrible to excellent. prior to these playoffs, I was much more optimistic about him.

If he steps into the AHL next season (and make no mistake, that's where he'll be), I have a feeling he will struggle to adjust as a pro and may not even hit half a point per game. If he outperforms my expectations and approaches a PPG as a 22 year old, then he has a shot as a top-6 NHLer.

I am pretty sure his playoffs are misleading. I remember reading that he got injured and dressed for the games, sat on the bench but didn't play so he still got a game played.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I am pretty sure his playoffs are misleading. I remember reading that he got injured and dressed for the games, sat on the bench but didn't play so he still got a game played.

that happend for 2 or 3 of the games. he provided a spark when he did play. some people can't help themselves but to look at nothing byut the stats and numbners of players

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Hard to know. There isn't much precedent for what he's doing, mostly because the players who are that productive make it out of the WHL by his age.

I'd say he has a shot at being a middle-6 forward. His complete game will determine how long he sticks around for.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

He was concussed in game one of the finals (sat on the bench) and came back in game 6.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
that happend for 2 or 3 of the games. he provided a spark when he did play. some people can't help themselves but to look at nothing byut the stats and numbners of players

I'm aware that happened, but even if one was to strike those games from the record completely, his production wasn't up to his usual standards.

Stats and numbers aren't everything - but when we're talking about a junior aged player, their offensive numbers relative to their age has actually been a surprisingly strong predictor of what their NHL level upside will be.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Just another case of wait and see. You hope for the best outcome. Good luck to him and wish him all the best like any of our prospects. Everything else is speculation and waste of time. Its all what if this or that. Just be glad we have him in our system.

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Connor Brown.

I don't know if Brooks plays the same game as Brownie, but this is a good comparison otherwise. Later round picks, not expected to have their junior production translate to the pro game. Who knows, the Leafs were trying to exploit a flaw in other teams thinking last year by drafting all those 19yr olds...it could pay off in a couple years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
He's pretty good. The points he's put up as an overager aren't exactly unheard of but he put up some really good numbers in his +1 draft eligibility as well. Either way, an impressive Junior career for him.

He's an agile skater with fantastic vision and an impressive work ethic on the ice. He's not afraid to lay out hits and fight once in a while even if he's not the biggest guy out there.

I think he's a legit prospect myself because the tools he has are very impressive. He's probably the most interesting prospect we have.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
He's pretty good. The points he's put up as an overager aren't exactly unheard of but he put up some really good numbers in his +1 draft eligibility as well. Either way, an impressive Junior career for him.

He's an agile skater with fantastic vision and an impressive work ethic on the ice. He's not afraid to lay out hits and fight once in a while even if he's not the biggest guy out there.

I think he's a legit prospect myself because the tools he has are very impressive. He's probably the most interesting prospect we have.

his draft +1 season he had 62 points in 64 games, that isnt really "good" numbers

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
his draft +1 season he had 62 points in 64 games, that isnt really "good" numbers

For a late round pick it isn't that bad. I've seen players with a lot worst than that. He was the Pats top scoring player that season as an 18 year old. He put up 50 more points than his 17 year old season. He literally doubled his point totals the year we drafted him.

He's definitely a bit of a late bloomer.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
For a late round pick it isn't that bad. I've seen players with a lot worst than that. He was the Pats top scoring player that season as an 18 year old.

He's definitely a bit of a late bloomer though.

i guess you are right, if he scores .4ppg or better next season on the marlies ill be much more on board with him. I

diceman934

Help is on the way.
Jul 31, 2010
NHL player factory
I have watched him play a lot as I live in the Regina area. He is a late bloomer who has a huge upside. This is a player who plays hard and is not at all soft and who will be considered a steal of a pick.

His playoffs this year was injured filled and it is too bad as his team with him in the line up would have made the mem cup. He played for a pro coach who treated him like a pro. His game away from the puck is well defined and he will be a player to watch in the AHL next season.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I have watched him play a lot as I live in the Regina area. He is a late bloomer who has a huge upside. This is a player who plays hard and is not at all soft and who will be considered a steal of a pick.

His playoffs this year was injured filled and it is too bad as his team with him in the line up would have made the mem cup. He played for a pro coach who treated him like a pro. His game away from the puck is well defined and he will be a player to watch in the AHL next season.

I would be ecstatic if we got a Trochek out of this pick. Or something close.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
I wish he was that good, but in almost all certainty, he's not. I think anyone in this thread is wise enough to take a player's age into consideration when projecting junior scoring to NHL success. And Brooks has actually been so strong a scorer at the WHL level, that even after we apply the correct amount of healthy skepticism to those numbers, there's a good deal of hope that he can make it as a run of the mill 2nd liner. But that's all it is... hope. If he does make it, good for him, I'm rooting for him, but he won't be a guy to really look forward to, or someone who will make or break the team.

The question about a player who can score that way in a WHL regular season is always going to be how he responds to higher competition. And I think we've already caught a glimpse of that. He had 2.0 PPG in the WHL regular season, but 1 PPG in the playoffs. These were 16 games against two good teams, and two excellent teams, as opposed to 66 games against a very wide range of opponents ranging from terrible to excellent. prior to these playoffs, I was much more optimistic about him.

If he steps into the AHL next season (and make no mistake, that's where he'll be), I have a feeling he will struggle to adjust as a pro and may not even hit half a point per game. If he outperforms my expectations and approaches a PPG as a 22 year old, then he has a shot as a top-6 NHLer.

This will depend on his ice time. Generally rookies will be given bottom six minutes, and he may have to learn to PK (assuming he didn't pk in the WHL). Timashov is a good example of this, as he really wasn't given the chance to produce this year, but he'll move up the lineup next season and likely be a 0.5 - 0.8 PPG player.

Players that dominate in junior generally translate to the AHL fairly well, it's the NHL that's the big question. Big speed difference between the two leagues, and that's where Brooks may struggle in winning a spot with the Leafs in the future.

Stand Witness

JT
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2014
London, ON
My argument has always been this; if we picked Adam Brooks in his draft year (4th round, same draft as Willy) and produced the way he has in the past 2 seasons how would we feel?

I think pretty excited for a 4th round pick. Lets look at our actual 4th round pick that year, JJ Piccinich. Who would we rather have today? Probably Brooks. In fact, go back to that whole 4th round and there are probably only 2-3 sure bet picks over Brooks and that is cause they have already played in the NHL (one of which was also 3 years older than the draft age, Viktor Arvidsson)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm aware that happened, but even if one was to strike those games from the record completely, his production wasn't up to his usual standards.

Stats and numbers aren't everything - but when we're talking about a junior aged player, their offensive numbers relative to their age has actually been a surprisingly strong predictor of what their NHL level upside will be.

While his offensive output is impressive, a big strike against him is that he was sent back to the WHL as a 20 year old for his 5th CHL season.

After putting up 120 points and leading the WHL in scoring in 2015-16 before the Leafs drafted him, you would think that since he was already 20 years old (& completed his mandatory 4 years of CHL service), Leafs would have turned him pro and Brooks played for the Marlies and not back in Regina.

What would a player that already lead the league is scoring have left from junior hockey to prove, and what was the reason Leafs management sent him back?

The future potential of a player that plays 5 years in CHL is questionable, and usually reserved for only undrafted players that really have no place else to go.

All that said, lets hope Brooks is a late bloomer and Leafs get some value from this draft pick, as there is little risk involved and only potential reward here from using a mid round pick on a small, but high scoring junior player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad