Is 2 goals or 3 goals "the most dangerous lead in hockey"?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I just reread the OP. I've heard 2 goal lead the most but also heard 3 goal lead. It's stupid antiquated hockey cliches that need to go the way of the dodo. And people wonder why coaches don't understand advanced stats.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
2 and 3 goal leads are the worst if the team gets cocky and relaxed. If they have a 1 goal lead they generally won't be laid back or think they have it won already. 2 or 3 goals it feels like sometimes give them that mindset that they've won the game basically and just need to wait for the clock to run out now.

RoyalDoubleMcCheesie

Aug 31, 2008
Best example of this would be the oilers losing a 3-0 lead to the ducks in game 5 last year in the second round.
But I've also heard a 2 goal lead is the dangerous one so basically depends on the team coach etc 2 or 3 goal lead is basically a coin flip as to which one is the most dangerous.

cactusjack

Apr 3, 2015
here in QC i've always hear that it's the 3 goals lead. Never heard of the 2 goals lead as the most dangerous one.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It's just something announcers say when they aren't being particularly original.

It applies to any number of goals.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
You want to know what EVERY lost 2 goal lead has in common?

They were 1 goal leads twice. So how is a 2 goal lead more dangerous?

It's 2-0. The other team scores. It's now 2-1.

"The most dangerous lead" is now no more.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Thanks for all the responses and people who read the OP.

I'm not arguing the legitimacy of the phrase or what lead is actually most dangerous, just curious what everyone remembers the cliche as.

Interesting that it's about a 50/50 split for 2 goals vs. 3 goals in here

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Provided there's enough time I've always though 3 goals to be more dangerous than 2. The other team starts playing more free and loose and if they get 1, they'll throw everything at you to get another one. Once it's 3-2, it often feels like a foregone conclusion that the other team will tie it.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
The most dangerous lead is one goal, followed by two, three, four etc. This can be demonstrated statistically with thousands of NHL games taking place over the last hundred years. No amount of folksy idioms can change that, regardless of how often they're repeated.

Wrath

Jan 13, 2012
The cliche saying that I've always heard is "2 goals is the most dangerous lead".

But as others have pointed out (and yes OP this is straying from the question you asked, sorry!) in reality it is 1 goal, the statistics bear this out pretty clearly.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
"There is little evidence that 2-0 is the worst lead in practice. In football, a team leading 2-0 at half-time only goes on to lose the game in about 2% of cases. In ice hockey, statistics show that if a team builds a two-goal advantage, they go on to win the game in the majority of instances, and that a one-goal lead is far more dangerous." -Wikipedia

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad