Is 2 goals or 3 goals "the most dangerous lead in hockey"?

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
I've always remembered it as a 2 goal lead is the most dangerous lead, but Doc just mentioned during the Boston vs. Toronto game that 3 goals is the most dangerous lead. This isn't the first time he's mentioned it either, I've heard it in other games from him.

So what do you remember about this? 2 goals or 3 goals?

Should be clear about this, this isn't what you actually think is the most dangerous lead, but what you remember about the phrasing or what people say most commonly.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I've always remembered it as a 2 goal lead is the most dangerous lead, but Doc just mentioned during the Boston vs. Toronto game that 3 goals is the most dangerous lead. This isn't the first time he's mentioned it either, I've heard it in other games from him.

Should be clear about this, this isn't what you actually think is the most dangerous lead, but what you remember about the phrasing or what people say most commonly.

Absolutely. I think this is what happened in the Toronto and Boston game tonight. The score ended up not being close, but it was clear once the Bruins got a 3 goal lead, they took the foot off the gas pedal. And that made the game look closer on the shot clock, when in reality it was the Bruins letting up. I hate the 3 goal lead. But it is what it is. Better than being down 3 I guess.

El Travo

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?
Aug 11, 2015
1 goal is where the leading team is still alert and may still be pushing the play. A goal against doesn't effect morale as much as it is a close game.

2 goals is where a bit of complacency can kick in and teams may sit back. A goal against may start the "oh shit" mentality but all the momentum is in the opposing teams favour.

3 goals and up can actually be dangerous in the literal sense of the word. The losing team may get a little bit angsty and start taking liberties.

Reactions: CupsOverCash

CuriousGeorge

Jun 8, 2007

Since when did a respectable hockey analyst say it is the dangerous lead in hockey? There is no such thing as "dangerous lead." It is just a lead. There is no need to brainwash us.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Since when did a respectable hockey analyst say it is the dangerous lead in hockey? There is no such thing as "dangerous lead." It is just a lead. There is no need to brainwash us.

Brainwash? :facepalm:

It is a colloquialism, ffs.

And to the OP, I always remember hearing it as a three goal lead being the most dangerous.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
It's 2 because you are tempted to let up and if the other team gets the 1 then they have all the momentum. 1 goal you're still on your toes and 3 is pretty safe.
3 is an error that a lot of broadcasters have made for some reason.

WTFetus

Marlov
Mar 12, 2009
San Francisco
ITT: The majority of people not reading the OP. He's talking about "phrasing", not what is actually the most dangerous.

The phrase has been 3 for as long as I could remember.

jiboy

la game dans la game
May 2, 2007
I heard way more often 2 goals being the most dangerous lead.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Thank you everyone that thinks critically and doesn't take seriously stupid cliches. It's a 1 goal lead. That's the lead that gets blown the most. Maybe it's a 2 goal lead or a 3 goal lead if you want to take into account how sad you are when you blow the lead in addition to how often it gets blown. But if we're talking about actually losing games it's the 1 goal lead.

Reactions: Hockey Outsider

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad