Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
It's a possibility. Who knows if we have a prospect step up it wouldn't be the worst thing. To be able to keep some of the players with raises coming up. Plus whatever the return is also gets added to the lineup. If we could get better by trading Nylander I'm all for it. But it wouldn't be easy.

pengdeng12

Feb 13, 2018
wish we can trade JT for Nylander (I know JT has NMC)

Nylander > JT (contract/age included)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Everyone assumes we would "lose" a trade involving Nylander.

You're all pessimists.

If you believe Dubas is a good/great/best GM-ever, then assume the trade will be a good one.

Have faith Leafs fans.

5th overall offensive dynamo Phil Kessel was traded (to the Leafs no less) and Boston won a Cup shortly after.
Difference being that Boston was already a very good team when they traded him, and we're not likely to find someone who will overpay for Nylander (or anyone else) as badly as Burke did.

DraftSchmaft

Jul 29, 2021
Boston would have another cup by now if they stood pat with Kessel. Maybe even 2 more for 3 total including 2011. 9 goals in 15 playoff games prior for them (point per game total) and we have hindsight to confirm he would have been a playoff beast again and again.

That package they got for Kessel was garbage in the long run. It only ended up good at one point because Leafs ended up being crap after the trade which fudged up the picks. If you're going to argue that swapping Seguin for Kessel in 2011 playoffs would have ruined Bruins chances, you're clearly just in here to troll (Not accusing anyone of this, just in the event someone decided to counter with it).

If that's the idea of over-payment all these Yes' better flip to No and Nylander stays.

Last edited:

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
The big question is for what return ? #1 D you may as well say #1 RHD since it's a fantasy . Another Nylander ? why may as well just stick with what we have if we're looking for a replacement thats the same . A Hyman /Bunting type player ? it's a possibility hell maybe Edmonton will give us Hyman back saving us 1.495 a year . Really a top six corner man is probably the best return we can hope for in a win now scenario , win later we can probably get a mid six and a very nice pick or two .

Just to stir the pot Kadri might be available if he gets hit in the head hard enough to forget where he is and doesn't sign a friendly new deal with Colorado . Then again Nylander would either shape up or play in the cheddar there because they won't put up with his sort of nonsense .

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
Friendly reminder you can find Hymans and Buntings and mid six players with some well timed acquisitions. You need to tank to get into Nylander range if you have any hopes of getting your hands on one.

Not liking Nylander isn't an excuse to not be smart about it.
I agree we shouldn't trade him willy nilly, but it seems clear that Nylander isn't a perfect fit for this club.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I agree we shouldn't trade him willy nilly, but it seems clear that Nylander isn't a perfect fit for this club.
He seemed to fit pretty well in the last playoffs.

I am open to trading anyone on the Leafs if it makes the team better. Once again, it all depends on the package coming back.

Reactions: Field of Dreams

TGB

Jun 7, 2021
Why? He's one of the few players playing at good value. Shouldn't we be talking about moving the high priced old players?

He was last month. :laugh:

Round and round this hate train goes. When does it stop? Nobody knows!

Field of Dreams

Oct 10, 2011
Port Credit
He seemed to fit pretty well in the last playoffs.

I am open to trading anyone on the Leafs if it makes the team better. Once again, it all depends on the package coming back.
He doesn't seem to have chemistry with either matthews or tavares. I agree I wouldn't trade him for the sake of it, we would need an equally valuable package and for it to make the club better.

Reactions: Le Cobra

theTTC

Aug 17, 2010
Why? He's one of the few players playing at good value. Shouldn't we be talking about moving the high priced old players?

He was last month. :laugh:

Round and round this hate train goes. When does it stop? Nobody knows!
What hate? Willy's a nice guy enjoying his life and expressing himself authentically. Respect.

However, time to win. Some here, like me, believe Leafs can get enough of what's needed to take a deep Cup run by trading him. And of course Willy never purposely undermines the team, but his "way" and erratic efforts make for the wrong squad chemistry. Even the coach finally called him out.

I guess suggesting changes to mould a Cup winner triggers some into screaming "hate" if it involves a favourite player.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
is this team better without Nylander? i would say no. But would we be better if we swapped Nylander with a player that fills a much needed role like a Tom Wilson? I would say yes.

its a similar situation to Kevin Love on the Raps. He is a great player on his own, but if we get a better teamplayer who is more consistent than Nylander, we could become even better.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
The funny thing about the discussion about "fit" and Nylander, especially for the post season is even softer player Phil Kessel's absolute dominance there.

Most of these tough grinder types could only dream of having the same impact when it matters most.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
1649200024879.png

The votes are hidden. Lame.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I mean, the playoff result is going to be directly related to whether he's traded or not.

So you have to respect it, and yes, if we flunk out in the 1st round again Nylander should be moved because hes a valuable trade piece

I would only trade for an even value or + scenario, no deals around quantity

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
No. He is one of the best bargain contracts on the team. He would get 9.5mil if he was a UFA. Yes he is lazy sometimes but 35G 70pt players are incredibly valuable

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Budz22

Sep 18, 2018
Remember in the beginning of the season and after last playoffs everyone wanted to trade Marner for a bag of pucks? This thread was generated when Nylander was clearly struggling and Marner just completely dominating. I think this fan base will always be divided between William and Mitch. We just can’t have nice things.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

Tarmore

Nov 11, 2008
Not reading the thread but, I would think it's not irrespective of play-off results but more reflective on play-off performance on Nylander's part that would indicate if the Leafs should consider shopping him.

I mean he is on the best contract of the big four and probably had the best performance last year of the big four as well.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
You don't trade Will Ny unless you get back Konecny + Farabee +, or basically, a massive overpayment

29Potvin

Jan 27, 2012
London Ontario
Boston would have another cup by now if they stood pat with Kessel. Maybe even 2 more for 3 total including 2011. 9 goals in 15 playoff games prior for them (point per game total) and we have hindsight to confirm he would have been a playoff beast again and again.

That package they got for Kessel was garbage in the long run. It only ended up good at one point because Leafs ended up being crap after the trade which fudged up the picks. If you're going to argue that swapping Seguin for Kessel in 2011 playoffs would have ruined Bruins chances, you're clearly just in here to troll (Not accusing anyone of this, just in the event someone decided to counter with it).

If that's the idea of over-payment all these Yes' better flip to No and Nylander stays.
I think Zboril,DeBrusk,Senyshyn over Barzal,Conner,Chabot cost them more cups than the Kessel trade

Reactions: horner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad