Salary Cap: Irrespective of playoff result, would you trade Nylander in the offseason?

Trade Nylander this offseason

• Yes

Votes: 134 49.1%
  • No

Votes: 107 39.2%
  • Wait one more season

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Re-sign as soon as possible at a cap number around $8M-8.5M

Votes: 17 6.2%

• Total voters

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
The expected return is, IMO: pick between 10-15, a 2nd round pick, a cheap borderline prospect forward.

As an example: Anaheim's 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick and Sam Steel.

I'm not trying to pick on Nylander, but I do think decisions on the core have to be made when they have at least 2 years left on their contracts to maximize trade value.

By the way, this doesn't apply to Matthews or Marner because they are both, without argument, top 5 in their position and almost impossible to replace without another long rebuild.

LeafsFan89

Jan 2, 2011
I don't like his recent play at all. But it's hard because Willy has always showed up in the playoffs whereas Matthews and Marner have not. Would rather move JT instead to be honest.

If Marner and Matthews can produce, then maybe move on from Willy.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I would. Was in his corner for a long time and I genuinely think he is an elite player, but I think we could use him to get another young blue chip player that would bring a different element.

I’d rather move Tavares, of course. I just don’t think that’s possible.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I would. Was in his corner for a long time and I genuinely think he is an elite player, but I think we could use him to get another young blue chip player that would bring a different element.

I’d rather move Tavares, of course. I just don’t think that’s possible.
We have zero bad contracts that aren't easily traded apparently. All we need to do is ask John and we'll be dandy.

lipstickjunkie

Jan 5, 2017
I don't like his recent play at all. But it's hard because Willy has always showed up in the playoffs whereas Matthews and Marner have not. Would rather move JT instead to be honest.

If Marner and Matthews can produce, then maybe move on from Willy.
Matthews, Marner, and Nylander have all played the same number of playoff games. Nylander has the fewest playoff points of the three of them.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
If we lose in the first round, someone from the core is going...

We know it's not Matthews or Tavares or Rielly. So that leaves Mitch or Willy. This is not necessairly my preference, but it's clear from the organization that this is where things stand.

I was 100% on the trade-Mitch-the-f***-outta-here train, but he is just too good... might never find someone like that again. He is more consistent than Nylander and his lows are not nearly as low (in the regular season anywa).

Nylander, while good, or at least can be good, has great highs, but his lows are too pronnounced. I would move him to create some cap flexibility. Doubt we get true value back for him... but I think that is trye for the rest as well.

Now, that all being said, if we see the same thing this playoffs as we saw last playoffs, I could easily be convinced to change my mind.

Reactions: themilosh

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
There is no ideal outcome, but it will entirely depend on Nylander/Marner's playoff performance.

The time to move one of the wingers was immediately once you signed Tavares, or soon after, for a position of need. Now, you're nearing the end of JT's mega deal where he can't justify the dollar figure and trading one of the other core pieces will severely dilute this team unless an equivalent star at a different position is coming back in a hockey trade.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
I'd like to see something like

Nylander for Byram, Kaut, Olausson, plus 2 first or;
Nlyander for Eriksson Ek, O'Rourke, Wallestedt and a 1st.

Tavares won't get much in return due to age and contract.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
I'd rather trade 91, but that's unlikely. Having two top-6 RW that do approximately the same thing eating up 22% of the cap is obviously a dumb idea. We'd be better off win an Oshie, Wilson, Hossa, Guentzel, Palat, Killorn, Brown etc. To offset our equivalent of Kucherov, Tarsenko, Ovechkin, Kessel, Gaborik, Kane etc.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Tavares won't get anything because he won't be waiving. He's here for the duration of his contract, just accept it.
On the plus side I think he'll rebound somewhat next season.

As for Nylander, his contract makes him attractive so he can get a decent return. The only problem I have with Willy is his complete disdain for physical play. It's embarrassing watching him try harder to not get hit than chase down a loose puck. If I'm his coach I'm pulling a Roger Dorn on him: Every time he avoids a hit he's got to do 20 pushups. Right there, in game. (I'm kidding of course ... I'd add them up and make him do them at the end of every practice)

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The expected return is, IMO: pick between 10-15, a 2nd round pick, a cheap borderline prospect forward.

As an example: Anaheim's 1st round pick, 2023 2nd round pick and Sam Steel.

I'm not trying to pick on Nylander, but I do think decisions on the core have to be made when they have at least 2 years left on their contracts to maximize trade value.

By the way, this doesn't apply to Matthews or Marner because they are both, without argument, top 5 in their position and almost impossible to replace without another long rebuild.
He's not the issue on that line. It's the 11 million dollar player that is holding that line back.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
My first preference would be to purge Tavares from the team and never look back, but I would say Nylander’s play the second half of the season has been a massive disappointment. Even when he scored tonight it doesn’t seem to make up for the brain dead low energy game he brings to every other shift. He’s sliding out of my good books and the next couple of months would probably sway me in terms of whether or not he goes in a hockey trade.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
My first preference would be to purge Tavares from the team and never look back, but I would say Nylander’s play the second half of the season has been a massive disappointment. Even when he scored tonight it doesn’t seem to make up for the brain dead low energy game he brings to every other shift. He’s sliding out of my good books and the next couple of months would probably sway me in terms of whether or not he goes in a hockey trade.
Agreed. His work ethic sucks.
Unfortunately, I see it as a symptom of team culture. The team likely gets blown up this summer…. By a new management team

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Don’t mind trading anyone that can improve the team but a mid round 1st, 2nd rounder and someone like Sam Steel? I think Willie can get a lot more than that, esp since he is at 7mil.

I think regardless of how Campbell plays, if AM and MM is no show again in the playoffs. It is hard not to look at them and think, something is not working.
Top players need to be top players in the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad