Injury Report: IR: Gaborik, Nilsson | Killorn, Kucherov, Hedman, McDonagh, Goodrow

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
Real talk, Vinik is probably sitting on fat stacks of cash. More than likely enough to afford anything we need. He's given HOW MUCH via Community Heroes and is putting how much towards downtown stuff? And he friggin renovated the arena. Dude is gonna have a statue, a building, a school and bridge named after him one day. The LTIR is probably no sweat.

I don't doubt he could throw an extra free million at the team and not miss it, but that doesn't mean he hasn't given JBB a budget, and one he intends him to stick to.

No idea either way, but it's something to consider in the decision-making here. And I'm by no means calling him cheap. We know that Vinik has eaten cash cost on some of these deals, and I'd besurprised if we weren't near the very top of the league in actual cash spending on salaries. But everyone has a limit.

The Community Heroes thing is very cool, too.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
We weren't going to add anything other than a possible backup goalie and even that was slim, why would we add another forward when the line up is already set as it is? So we can bump Joseph and Colton who have been excellent for us into the popcorn box?

Savard was their only target on D, we already have Cernak and Schenn is playing great, would've been a waste of assets to get a marginal increase over Schenn.
Exactly. There was no point of adding.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
We weren't going to add anything other than a possible backup goalie and even that was slim, why would we add another forward when the line up is already set as it is? So we can bump Joseph and Colton who have been excellent for us into the popcorn box?

Savard was their only target on D, we already have Cernak and Schenn is playing great, would've been a waste of assets to get a marginal increase over Schenn.

We gave Detroit a 4th rounder to eat $1m in cap hit, and gave something (probably the third rounder in 2022) to CBJ to eat $2m in cap hit.

With Stamkos on LTIR, we could've retained those picks. Would be nice, but not critical.

Of course, the salary retention did save Vinik some amount of actual cash out of pocket (my rough estimate is about $700k, based on portion of the season we'll have Savard, and escrow that will surely go to the owners this year). Hard to think we'd give away two picks for that amount of cash if we had had the cap flexibility, but like I said above who knows there may be some internal, hard dollar limit imposed on JBB this year.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
We gave Detroit a 4th rounder to eat $1m in cap hit, and gave something (probably the third rounder in 2022) to CBJ to eat $2m in cap hit.

With Stamkos on LTIR, we could've retained those picks. Would be nice, but not critical.

Of course, the salary retention did save Vinik some amount of actual cash out of pocket (my rough estimate is about $700k, based on portion of the season we'll have Savard, and escrow that will surely go to the owners this year). Hard to think we'd give away two picks for that amount of cash if we had had the cap flexibility, but like I said above who knows there may be some internal, hard dollar limit imposed on JBB this year.

With the information at the time there was no cap available to spend unless we shipped money out as well. I doubt it's as much a "hard dollar amount" as much as it was a "we have no cap to spend" since Stamkos was factored in.

The LTIR cap from Stamkos is a moot point because we didn't know his injury timeline until after the deadline but if we did it would've likely as you said, just been used to save assets on the Savard deal more than adding additional players in on top.

Last edited:

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007

Lets see Vinik has a net worth of 600 mil. Before the season it was projected that each team in the league would lose from 45 mil to 70 mil. Last season even winning the cup the team lost 8.3 mil.
The Business Of Hockey List (forbes.com I do not care who you are losing between 10 and 15% of your net worth in a year is not sustainable. This does impact what GM's can and can not do and moving a couple picks in a weak draft year with very little scouting info would be a no brainer. As fans we can be quick to spend others money and the turn around and bitch about how they spent it(Johnson and others). Until this team is a legacy team like Toronto, Detroit, Montreal, Rangers, Chicago ownership will not return multi millions in profit. Heck as bad as the Wings have been they put 31 mil in the Illitch family's pocket last year.

Reactions: Still All In

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
With the information at the time there was no cap available to spend unless we shipped money out as well. I doubt it's as much a "hard dollar amount" as much as it was a "we have no cap to spend" since Stamkos was factored in.

The LTIR cap from Stamkos is a moot point because we didn't know his injury timeline until after the deadline but if we did it would've likely as you said, just been used to save assets on the Savard deal more than adding additional players in on top.

My point is that it we'd had Stamkos on LTIR, we could've saved those two picks. However, even if he'd been on LTIR we might not have had the actual cash to spend. The latter probably isn't the story -- Vinik probably would not have withheld the $700k cash -- but if it was, it would be an alternate explanation for why we weren't aggressive in putting Stamkos on LTIR.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Real talk, Vinik is probably sitting on fat stacks of cash. More than likely enough to afford anything we need. He's given HOW MUCH via Community Heroes and is putting how much towards downtown stuff? And he friggin renovated the arena. Dude is gonna have a statue, a building, a school and bridge named after him one day. The LTIR is probably no sweat.
Thats... all well and good but that isn't how he operates. Thats the kind of thing rappers do, that end up broke in 10 years.

The team isn't really making money, they basically broke even recently, but that all went out the window with covid and no fans.

Reactions: Todd1a and Byrddog

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Thats... all well and good but that isn't how he operates. Thats the kind of thing rappers do, that end up broke in 10 years.

The team isn't really making money, they basically broke even recently, but that all went out the window with covid and no fans.
Yeah but the Bolts value to him isn't necessarily in seasonal profits. One - I'll guarantee the team valuation has increased significantly. Two - even setting that aside, Amalie (and the Bolts) are a loss leader at worse for the development in the region.

Some of the P/L talk about teams misses the forest for the trees. The real value is in the increased value of the team, not the revenue stream. If he sold it today he'd probably at least equal if not surpass the Kraken's $650m. And he bought the team for what - 125 or so?

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Yeah but the Bolts value to him isn't necessarily in seasonal profits. One - I'll guarantee the team valuation has increased significantly. Two - even setting that aside, Amalie (and the Bolts) are a loss leader at worse for the development in the region.

Some of the P/L talk about teams misses the forest for the trees. The real value is in the increased value of the team, not the revenue stream. If he sold it today he'd probably at least equal if not surpass the Kraken's $650m. And he bought the team for what - 125 or so?
Actually no the team value did not increase last year and will not again this year.
NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades (forbes.com)
The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams (forbes.com) 2018 team value 445mil largest league % increase in 50 years
23. Tampa Bay Lightning (forbes.com) 2017 team value 390mil

The team has been bottom 1'4 of valuation and profitability for years. In fact they would be eligible for the old revenue sharing if they were under a internal cap limit.

Teams are in difficulty now according to The Athletic "
The average attendance in the NHL this season is 17,316, and the average 2019-20 ticket price, according to the Chicago-based Team Marketing Report sports business consultancy, is $75.76 (all figures U.S.).
Thus, the typical team makes $1,311,860.16 in ticket revenue per regular season game.". Over a 41 game home schedule that is almost 54 mil then factor in concessions and apparel sales for the regular season You can bet there at 60 mil loss and that does not count playoff revenue. Things are not going to get back to normal soon either. The economic impact is effecting season tickets renewal from 30 to 50% league wide. Yes TV revenue will increase about 15 mil per year per team after the league takes there cut and the expansion pumps another 15 mil into the pot for 2021 there still be significant losses this year. Preseason It ws projected that 3 to 6 teams would be in bankruptcy at year end. Mid season that number was increased to 5 to 10 and yes the Bolts could well be in that number no matter what we think.

After the lockout in 04-05 it took the league 5 years to attain pre lockout ticket sales. A huge drop in the new CAP and why should we not expect the same conditions post COVID? Fans have been locked out for a year and while some states are loosening restrictions most are not even for playoffs. Theres now talk that 50% seating for the start of next season will not happen.

On the other side of this pandemic the league is not going to be the same. The longer it goes more degradation the league as a whole will incur.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Did I say the last two years? I'm saying the value now compared to the purchase price is magnitudes higher.

Also there's so much bullshit accounting that goes into stuff like this. Companies are incentivized to "lose money" for a lot of purposes when really it's just shuffling numbers around in excel.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Did I say the last two years? I'm saying the value now compared to the purchase price is magnitudes higher.

Also there's so much bullshit accounting that goes into stuff like this. Companies are incentivized to "lose money" for a lot of purposes when really it's just shuffling numbers around in excel.
I’d assume the Lightning are Vinik’s calculated “money loss” to finance other stuff.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I wonder if the league would have stepped in if we instantly put Stamkos on LTIR. He got hurt on the Saturday and the Bolts didn't come home till Tuesday. The TDL was on the Monday (day before they got home) and they didn't know the full extent of his injury yet. They couldn't just plop him on LTIR the day before the TDL. League would have stepped in and wanted to see the extent of the injury.

Besides, we don't have as much draft capitol as some of the other teams who made moves. I don't want to give up all our 1st round picks just yet. While we are in win now mode and picks are over valued, we still need to restock the cupboards considering how royally ****ed we are at the cap. We're gonna lose a lot of players over the next couple years and need to replace them and then replace those roles those kids had in the minors, etc.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I wonder if the league would have stepped in if we instantly put Stamkos on LTIR. He got hurt on the Saturday and the Bolts didn't come home till Tuesday. The TDL was on the Monday (day before they got home) and they didn't know the full extent of his injury yet. They couldn't just plop him on LTIR the day before the TDL. League would have stepped in and wanted to see the extent of the injury.

Besides, we don't have as much draft capitol as some of the other teams who made moves. I don't want to give up all our 1st round picks just yet. While we are in win now mode and picks are over valued, we still need to restock the cupboards considering how royally ****ed we are at the cap. We're gonna lose a lot of players over the next couple years and need to replace them and then replace those roles those kids had in the minors, etc.

It’s pretty simple. We added Savard because it was a need.

We DON’T need anything else. You want to add a forward because of Stamkos? Why? So Colton can get scratched?

Sure we could have done it for more cap space? But for what, no one gives an F about the regular season

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club

I promise you none of that dismisses losing millions of dollars on the team. They've laid people off, they got rid of long standing employees (see: expensive), they've started cutting corners because he can't afford to bleed tens of millions a year. Development is great but at this point its just that, development. Only a few buildings are finished and open and have tenants. He isn't just sitting back smiling, we had plenty of meetings about cutting expenses to get into the black.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
Actually no the team value did not increase last year and will not again this year.
NHL Team Values 2020: Hockey’s First Decline In Two Decades (forbes.com)
The NHL’s Most Valuable Teams (forbes.com) 2018 team value 445mil largest league % increase in 50 years
23. Tampa Bay Lightning (forbes.com) 2017 team value 390mil

The team has been bottom 1'4 of valuation and profitability for years. In fact they would be eligible for the old revenue sharing if they were under a internal cap limit.

Teams are in difficulty now according to The Athletic "
The average attendance in the NHL this season is 17,316, and the average 2019-20 ticket price, according to the Chicago-based Team Marketing Report sports business consultancy, is $75.76 (all figures U.S.).
Thus, the typical team makes $1,311,860.16 in ticket revenue per regular season game.". Over a 41 game home schedule that is almost 54 mil then factor in concessions and apparel sales for the regular season You can bet there at 60 mil loss and that does not count playoff revenue. Things are not going to get back to normal soon either. The economic impact is effecting season tickets renewal from 30 to 50% league wide. Yes TV revenue will increase about 15 mil per year per team after the league takes there cut and the expansion pumps another 15 mil into the pot for 2021 there still be significant losses this year. Preseason It ws projected that 3 to 6 teams would be in bankruptcy at year end. Mid season that number was increased to 5 to 10 and yes the Bolts could well be in that number no matter what we think.

After the lockout in 04-05 it took the league 5 years to attain pre lockout ticket sales. A huge drop in the new CAP and why should we not expect the same conditions post COVID? Fans have been locked out for a year and while some states are loosening restrictions most are not even for playoffs. Theres now talk that 50% seating for the start of next season will not happen.

On the other side of this pandemic the league is not going to be the same. The longer it goes more degradation the league as a whole will incur.
They farm out concessions to Delaware North, which is Jeremy Jacobs, owner of the Bruins. They get a cut of that but they don't get everything.
That per game average on tickets is close but not everything, and I believe in the playoffs that was closer to 3m per game, more if the team went deep. No attendance last year i'm sure made JV die inside just a little. I can't speak to renewal rates at this point.

If they can get back into the black after next season, it'll be a good thing, but i'm not counting on it. Its a bit of a dire financial situation for about 25 teams.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Steven Stamkos said he expects to be ready to return along with Nikita Kucherov when the Tampa Bay Lightning open the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
Stamkos has been a full participant in practices and morning skates this week in preparation for the postseason. ...

Kucherov has been skating with Tampa Bay for about two months, but has been more active with line rushes recently and also is working on its first power-play unit.
"'Kuch' and I are really close," Stamkos said, "and anytime you can have a rehab buddy it makes things a lot easier just from a mental standpoint too, you have someone to bounce things off of behind the scenes. We're always together doing work, whether it's before practice and before [the media] see us, we're out there working hard. During the games we're either in the gym or getting some treatment.

"I think we're just excited to get a chance to get back on the ice in a game situation. We haven't had a chance to play together on the ice in quite a long time so we're excited about that."

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

tenor.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00