Injury Report: IR: Gaborik, Nilsson | Killorn, Kucherov, Hedman, McDonagh, Goodrow

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

Coop today:

"I think it was good for him. We were gone for two weeks, so he just gets to watch us on tv, so I think he was pretty excited to be around us. Kuch is a big part of our team, so anytime we can have him around, it's great for us. Especially coming off that road trip and being able to see progress is being made, he's starting to feel a little bit better. You know, is he far away from doing the things he usually does out there? Yes. But just to have him with the guys is why we have a close team. It's a good group and everybody loves being around each other and it was good having him out there."

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
I can't see any team wanting to help us out at at deadline. We'd need to move 2 players.

Kuch still has a bit to go before coming back. Other fans are maaaaaaad lol

Reactions: DaBolts

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I can't see any team wanting to help us out at at deadline. We'd need to move 2 players.

Kuch still has a bit to go before coming back. Other fans are maaaaaaad lol

I think the deadline makes it more likely they'll be selfish. In the off-season, teams are more likely to be optimistic about their own players, but at the deadline, it's all about filling holes in the roster. A lot of teams could be looking at Killorn's numbers and thinking he's a missing piece.

Tyler Johnson is a little less likely to go, but he's at 0.5 ppg, and teams have paid for that kind of production every year.

That said, especially in Killorn's case, it's hard to let them go for the sake of the future when the possibility of a repeat is right in our face.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
It still amazes me how many people think Tampa and Kucherov are doing it to circumvent the Cap.

Somehow, State and Federal laws do not apply to hockey teams and they can defraud insurance companies at will for that cap space.

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
It still amazes me how many people think Tampa and Kucherov are doing it to circumvent the Cap.

Somehow, State and Federal laws do not apply to hockey teams and they can defraud insurance companies at will for that cap space.

It's only okie-dokey if Toronto or Montreal does it.

Reactions: Hoek and J T Money

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
I really want us to repeat and for Kucherov to win Conn Smythe now.

I want the hockey world to drown in salt, lol.

It is a loophole and I think teams do have a right to be upset, only because I thought the same when Chicago did it with Kane. It's just funny when they think it was done on purpose or that the surgery was a front so we could scratch him all season :laugh:

Reactions: Hoek

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Did Chicago get this much shit for doing this in 2015 with Kane? Kuch is just skating with the team and the NHL is up in arms about it.

Yes they did, worse because Kane came back 3 weeks early. He was supposed to miss the entire first round.

Nashville fans were livid. Vermette was one of their acquisitions and he was vital to their win, especially against us.

Reactions: Hoek and DaBolts

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Yes they did, worse because Kane came back 3 weeks early. He was supposed to miss the entire first round.
welp...
tumblr_lrgxkvrYWQ1r0ojhto1_500.gif

DaBolts

Stanley Cup Boat Parades ROCK
Feb 3, 2015
Did Chicago get this much shit for doing this in 2015 with Kane? Kuch is just skating with the team and the NHL is up in arms about it.

And then some. Nashville was on a good run and may have had a shot out of the West that year. They were livid.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side

What info do you have on an insurance policy? Does the team even have one on Kuch? Is the insurer paying on it?

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
There's another aspect to this as well - if Kucherov were actually showing signs of being able to return before the end of the season without, ahem, "malfeasance" at play, surely the Lightning wouldn't be so brazen as to have him doing on-ice rehab work at the arena, where reporters could see this stuff, right? Surely they would be doing this at the practice facility, away from reporters and cameras. When you're trying to tell a lie/cheat/defraud insurance companies, you keep things as hush-hush as possible, assuming you aren't exceptionally stupid.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Stephens skating with the team but I think he's getting passed very quickly here.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Stephens skating with the team but I think he's getting passed very quickly here.
Given the fact that we haven’t the greatest pipeline there are quite a few options for the bottom-six with Colton, ABB, Joseph, Stephens, Raddysh, Smith and Volkov. Most of them won’t qualify for a spot in the top-six next season though. It’s gonna be interesting who will be where next year.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Stephens has been really set back by injuries throughout his career. Glad to hear he's skating. Shows glimpses of being a really effective player in his role, just might get lost in the shuffle because of these setbacks.

BoltzManConstant

Mar 8, 2017
Upper West Side
I mean - you don't shell 76 million dollars without getting it insured.

Maybe, maybe not. There's no reason to insure against risks you can bear.

The insurance companies aren't losing money on these deals -- despite the fact that they need to employ people to administer the policy, pay doctors etc to underwrite and review claims, AND make a profit.

It definitely would not be surprising for a businessman to say I'm going to cut out the middleman and "self-insure" (eat the cost if someone gets hurt). Over the long haul, unless the insurance companies are mispricing the premiums (hint: they're not) or the team is defrauding the insurer, the team will come out ahead by not insuring.

And even if the Bolts do have a policy on Kuch, we don't know that the team and insurer didn't already settle on a payout for this season as soon as he went in for surgery. If Tampa was worried about too many cooks in the kitchen (too many non-team doctors looking at Kuch), they could have made an offer to the insurer to settle for, say, half a season's pay -- which the insurer likely would have accepted.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Stephens has been really set back by injuries throughout his career. Glad to hear he's skating. Shows glimpses of being a really effective player in his role, just might get lost in the shuffle because of these setbacks.
I still think he's got that 4th line C locked. We're gonna have so many spots open in our top 9 next year. Coleman, Goodrow might be gone. Gourde, Killorn, Johnson (hopefully at least 2 are gone).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad