Introduction To The 2012 Draft

IkeaMonkey*

USHL prospects are heating up late in the season.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/ushl-crop-growing-in-january/

Cooper will fall short of the 33 points he put up in his sophomore season, but much more can be said about his all-around game in his third and final season in Fargo.

Maybe it's just me but...this is the polar opposite of what I've seen from year to year with Cooper. The inconsistencies in his defensive game are still there. Last year, it was not knowing when to break up a play between the blue line and the circles. This year, he doesn't know when to make that break up between the circles and the crease. So many times, I've seen him chase the play late, leaving a guy wide open in front of the net. The single positive that I have seen from this year from last year in Cooper's game is his discipline. He's taken next to no penalties this year(I'm discounting about 14 "tripping" minors he's had this season, when he throws a huge, obviously clean hip check and the USHL ref jokers call it tripping every time.) which is a big turnaround from last season. He's still got his great raw attributes like his great skating ability and shot selection, but he most certainly has not "improved overall".

I do like the Kravchenko shout out though. I called it as soon as he was brought in that he'd make a huge impact for the Riders.

WeissFC

@WeissFC
Mar 11, 2010
www.futureconsiderations.ca
Maybe it's just me but...this is the polar opposite of what I've seen from year to year with Cooper. The inconsistencies in his defensive game are still there. Last year, it was not knowing when to break up a play between the blue line and the circles. This year, he doesn't know when to make that break up between the circles and the crease. So many times, I've seen him chase the play late, leaving a guy wide open in front of the net. The single positive that I have seen from this year from last year in Cooper's game is his discipline. He's taken next to no penalties this year(I'm discounting about 14 "tripping" minors he's had this season, when he throws a huge, obviously clean hip check and the USHL ref jokers call it tripping every time.) which is a big turnaround from last season. He's still got his great raw attributes like his great skating ability and shot selection, but he most certainly has not "improved overall".

I do like the Kravchenko shout out though. I called it as soon as he was brought in that he'd make a huge impact for the Riders.

Seeing that you're from Fargo, I'll have to take your word for it and watch Cooper more in the next two months. I have watched him 3-4 times in addition to the Top Prospects Game and was fairly impressed at what I saw from him.

I'm interested in how you knew about Kravchenko would make an immediate impact. The only thing I could really see that would've made me feel this way when he got the call up was how well he did at the New Hampshire prep school he was at the last two years.

IkeaMonkey*

Seeing that you're from Fargo, I'll have to take your word for it and watch Cooper more in the next two months. I have watched him 3-4 times in addition to the Top Prospects Game and was fairly impressed at what I saw from him.

I'm interested in how you knew about Kravchenko would make an immediate impact. The only thing I could really see that would've made me feel this way when he got the call up was how well he did at the New Hampshire prep school he was at the last two years.

On Kravs: I'm just rarely ever wrong :) (kidding...not really...) I saw him a couple times in the NAHL this season and he played a "complete package" game, on every occasion. I get hunches in both ways when it comes to kids making the NAHL to USHL jump. I knew Tanner Kero was going to be a great player after he did, I also figured Jordan Nelson would struggle(but he's outperformed my expectations, slightly...extremely slightly...). Also...where do you get that Kravs is heading to Vermont next season? Everything I've heard/read suggests 2013 at the earliest for him. There's always rumors about Vermont accelerating players early, but that rarely comes to reality.

On Cooper: You don't have to sell me man, I'm the one who created a thread about him last year :) (http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=868476) The thing I just disagree with is the implication that he's "rounded out", which is simply not the case. The single glaring hole in his game is still there(decision making in both ends), in my opinion(and the opinion of others, including other USHL guys around here like Edges/AmericanDream.). In my opinion, there has been zero improvement in terms of his play from last year to this year, if anything there's been a significant regression. I saw him literally TAKE OVER a dozen games last season, where he was everywhere, "wow" games, if you will. He's yet to do that at all from what I've seen this year. Like I said, he's got the raw skills still there obviously, but he's not showing much improvement at all.

Who knows, my opinions usually go against the grain and are a bit blunt, bordering on "mean"(take my opinions on Seth Ambroz, pre-draft http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=753482 ...oh...wha-whats that? I nailed that too? oohhhh :) ), but I just see a lot of things differently than most and I end up usually not looking like a fool :).

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

coach1961

Feb 16, 2010
The big top risers on the qmjhl is christophe Lalancette from Bathurst constancy all years long and play with no top guns.Good skill ,hockey sense and skate very well ,
very good two way players.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Starting to roll out our league series on which draft eligibles have impressed in each league over the previous month.

We've started with the USHL for February.

As February gives way to March in the United States Hockey League, we continue to see players dominate, players continue to improve, and new opportunities for some to get the exposure and challenge of playing at the Tier 1 level.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/draft-eligible-ushlers-impress-down-the-stretch/

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Like Kyle Rau last year, select 2012 NHL Entry Draft eligibles will have the opportunity to boost their draft stock at the Minnesota High School State Tournament.

While the Minnesota High School State Tournament is considered a holiday to the majority of the region’s citizens, the tournament is considered work time for scouts to evaluate some of the top talent that the State of Hockey has to offer.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/minnesota-state-tournament-primed-for-scouts/

IkeaMonkey*

On the money about Corbett. I see him sliding and rightfully so. In this league full of top defensive talent he is not on par with a lot of these guys and doesn't really show signs of having huge potential.

I see a lot of Troy Hesketh in Corbett.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Rolling through some top draft eligible playoff performers from the Western Hockey League:

A strong showing in the postseason can launch a player up the draft boards, while a poor performance could send them tumbling down.

Kamloops Blazers forward Tim Bozon has opted to use the playoffs as a springboard, scoring four goals in a four-game sweep of the Victoria Royals. In the series, Bozon displayed his best attributes: a hard working winger that loves to use his speed and grit to create chances offensively.

http://futureconsiderations.ca/playoffs-showcasing-whl-draft-eligibles/

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad