Pre-Game Talk: Into the Crucible: Lightning must not strike twice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 28, 2010
How about dressing 7 defensemen? (Are you crazy? No, I'm not) Put Gonchar in, sit DLR.

Patches/Chuckie can double-shift on Eller's line while Gonchar gets 2nd PP unit.

Patches Pleks Gally
Chuckie DD PAP
Patches/Chuckie Eller DSP/Weise
Prust Mitchell Weise/DSP

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Gonchar Gilbert / Gonchar Pateryn / Gilbert Pateryn

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
They did pretty much everything right except the biggest thing: score. Dominate all you want, but put the puck in the net.

bipolarhabfan

Sep 16, 2006
Burnaby, BC
The goal of the game is to score more than the opposition. The Habs could not even do that against a team with only one nights rest. Lots of chances, but nothing went in. This seems like a common refrain because it is. They lack dynamic players up front and make poor shooting decisions and passes that end up nowhere. Markov, especially, has become quite good at this during the playoffs. What I am trying to say is that I do not feel too confident about game 2. I feel the Bolts will play a better game tomorrow night and will take game 2.

I looked at the GF and GA of championship teams since the expansion era in 1967. Only one team has won the Cup with bottom third offense, the LA Kings in 2012 and 2014. The average GF rank for Cup winners since 1993 is 7th and GA is 5th. In recent years a good PP has not proven to be all that important. The average rank has been 16 since 2003. This means that complete teams win cups. You have to have everything going and a balanced lineup. What I am trying to say is that the Habs are grossly unbalanced, which is why I do not have much hope for a Cup final birth this season and in the future.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
this team better figure it out quick

the pp sucks, and DD can't win a faceoff to save this soul

the top 2 lines better be better quick, or this thing is over

HabsandSmokies

Dec 7, 2013
Price has to play better. He can't go letting in 2 goals...not even one goal. Our only chance is a 1-0 win. :shakehead

TheBlindFan

Sep 7, 2008
How about dressing 7 defensemen? (Are you crazy? No, I'm not) Put Gonchar in, sit DLR.

Patches/Chuckie can double-shift on Eller's line while Gonchar gets 2nd PP unit.

Patches Pleks Gally
Chuckie DD PAP
Patches/Chuckie Eller DSP/Weise
Prust Mitchell Weise/DSP

Markov Subban
Emelin Petry
Gonchar Gilbert / Gonchar Pateryn / Gilbert Pateryn

make sense...

I would bench DSP instead. He is invisible. Patches/Eller should could double-shift.

Chuckies is not good at the moment, not the time to give him more pressure in my opinion.

Apr 28, 2010
make sense...

I would bench DSP instead. He is invisible. Patches/Eller should could double-shift.

Chuckies is not good at the moment, not the time to give him more pressure in my opinion.

I suggested Chuckie only because I think him and Eller have chemistry. They probably miss each other or something.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Loved our style of play last night( good plan MT ) but MT's stubborness or whatever it is in who he plays where and with whom, and allowing skill players to do their thing ( as opposed to north south grind) have finally bit him and the team in the butt. Our scoring is completely gone. Our only chance is if we can roll out 3 lines that can chip in.

We need to try to play every guy where he has his best chance of success and contribute.

This talk of scratching DD or playing him with 4th liners is nonsense. This guy can generate goals and we need him. He is a one trick pony though, he needs to play with Patches. Good God what was in MT's thick head when he thought of playing PAP with DD, and worse, where was MT's head when he saw the on ice disaster they were, and yet he did not scuttle the line. Awful coaching.

PAP is a huge WTF for me and I just do not see what will get this guy going. Time is up.

Obvious to everyone but MT. Galchenyuk has been tried with everyone but one guy and nothing is working. This guy scored 20 for us in the regular season, need his offence.Okay, wait for it , .....try him with Eller. MT needs to get whatever crap is blocking common sense and pair these two. Eller has been solid, he should have a skilled winger with him. What is lost by giving him Chuckie ? Nothing, nothing.

DD and Patches need a net crasher and puck digger. Pleks needs a skill guy.

Hudon had a good AHL season and has some defensive responsibility in him, as well as his offensive abilities of course.

TRY:

Patches............DD..............Weise
Hudon..............Pleks..........Gallagher
Galchenyuk.......Eller.............DSP
Prust................Mitchell.........DLR

PPI

Patches.........Eller........DD
........Markov.........PK

PP2

Galchenyuk......Pleks.........Gallagher
........Petry...............Gilbert/PK

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
If Bishop plays like he did last night (I think game 1 was the most challenging game for him) then I don't see much hope for the Habs unless there's a injury or something.

RealCity

Nov 14, 2008
MontREAL
If Bishop plays like he did last night (I think game 1 was the most challenging game for him) then I don't see much hope for the Habs unless there's a injury or something.

Seemed like he was letting in a lot of four-hole and five-hole shots during the pre-game skate yesterday, even getting a little frustrated about it. They need to go low on him.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Need to change it up now - put in Thomas or Hudon and Andrighetto, take out DLR and Parenteau. Parenteau is too slow,and DLR can't score.
We are in deep sh**, lose tomorrow and no way we'll win 4 of the next 5.

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
I feel like our best game all year vs. Tampa was last night, and........we lost.
I am concerned and don't have that warm fuzzy feeling about winning this series, but
The Habs do have winning on their side, we went to conference final last season and finished 2nd overall this year, we could still beat these guys. Chucky and Eller your time is now.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I am somewhat superstitious so today I decided to try something new...I watched 6 straight losses so I plan on not watching tonight. Something has to give right?
I am taking one for the team! Go Habs!!

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Fatigue might catch the Bolts. They might only had a night of rest, but they were still in the fire of their previous battle.

Habs have to catch a bounce, they are so damn unlucky. Two posts in the first could have made the difference had they gone in. Come on boys, keep doing what you have been doing...outwork the other team, the breaks have to come your way eventually.

Phenom

Grind deez guyss - Michou
Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Hope to see Eller in the top 6 and DD moved to the 3rd line. I just have no hope in this coach. It's pointless to have any hopes. It's a waste of time and I have come to terms with that reality.

It just saddens me knowing how we can be so much better just by playing the right lineups and personnel. Something this coach is unwilling to do unless we're going to be trailing 0-3 and when it's going to be too late.

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Loved our style of play last night( good plan MT ) but MT's stubborness or whatever it is in who he plays where and with whom, and allowing skill players to do their thing ( as opposed to north south grind) have finally bit him and the team in the butt. Our scoring is completely gone. Our only chance is if we can roll out 3 lines that can chip in.

We need to try to play every guy where he has his best chance of success and contribute.

This talk of scratching DD or playing him with 4th liners is nonsense. This guy can generate goals and we need him. He is a one trick pony though, he needs to play with Patches. Good God what was in MT's thick head when he thought of playing PAP with DD, and worse, where was MT's head when he saw the on ice disaster they were, and yet he did not scuttle the line. Awful coaching.

PAP is a huge WTF for me and I just do not see what will get this guy going. Time is up.

Obvious to everyone but MT. Galchenyuk has been tried with everyone but one guy and nothing is working. This guy scored 20 for us in the regular season, need his offence.Okay, wait for it , .....try him with Eller. MT needs to get whatever crap is blocking common sense and pair these two. Eller has been solid, he should have a skilled winger with him. What is lost by giving him Chuckie ? Nothing, nothing.

DD and Patches need a net crasher and puck digger. Pleks needs a skill guy.

Hudon had a good AHL season and has some defensive responsibility in him, as well as his offensive abilities of course.

TRY:

PPI

PP2

DD...DD everywhere. DD hurts my brain.

DD and Patches

Enough of that already.

Pleks needs a skill guy

He couldn't do nothing with Galchenyuk. Isn't he considered a skilled guy?

TRY:

PPI

PP2

That top 6 is not good and Hudon haven't played any second of NHL time. I doubt they just throw him like that in the pack.

Your PP1 Galchenyuk should be in DD's spot instead. Your PP2 is a line that has never been successful.

Last edited:

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Whatever we do do NOT move Prust and Eller away from eachother, easily best combo on the ice last game.
I'd like to see

Patches-Pleks-Gallagher
Prust-Eller-Weise
DD-Galchenyuk-DSP
Hudon-Mitchell-PAP

Ursus the White

Formerly Hogfather
Mar 27, 2014
Alberta
Getting that all important first goal in the FIRST period would be of immense help, or hope.....

wait....first goal...first period....Habs?......

200.gif

Phenom

Jan 16, 2015
Montreal
Tonight's lineup:

Patches - Eller - Galchenyuk
Hudon - Plekanec - Gallagher
DSP - DD - PAP
Prust - Mitchell - Weise

PP
Patches - Eller - Galchenyuk