Interview with Hextall

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Homer has to accept responsibility for the Bryz debacle. Was there another team offering him 8 years, $45 million that the Flyers had to outbid? **** no there wasn't.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Again, you accuse Homer of half truths but you're just making stuff up out of thin air. Complete fabrication.

Snider did not make demands to have Carter AND Richards traded but when Homer made that call he agreed. Realistically, they could have signed Bryz by only trading one. I was Homer who took them for the car rides and talked to them about their behavior. It was in support of Lavy that he finally decided they both had to go, secretly, surreptitiously and simultaneously before the whole league got wind of it. Snider certainly would have to have been consulted on dealing two huge recent contracts of star players - we may never know if it was Ed or Homer who finally decided they had to go, but it doesn't matter.

Snider explicitly denied ordering Homer to sign Bryz when asked. He said he told him he didn't want a repeat of the playoff disaster and to 'fix it'. It was a higher level order, not who but what. Homer presented the best UFA option and Ed agreed to the $51MM and then again to the buyout.

Darn interfering owner. Cares passionately, demands to be in the loop on franchise altering decisions, supports his guys or fires them, and backs them up with his chequebook. A lot of other GMs would kill to be so lucky.

Your narrative isn't exactly gospel either. As far as Snider with respect to Richards and Carter..I have to disagree based on some of the info that was privately conveyed and posted on this board at the time until they had to redact it per the request of the source. MSE can confirm that action but obviously he will not get into the specifics. Also don't feel like getting into a circular argument over this issue again. In time the truth will come out eventually anyway...

As far as with Bryz...that one is more of a shared responsibility no doubt and Holmgren deserves a lot of heat for first not addressing the goaltending properly in the previous seasons and then having to be reactive at Snider's insistence.

I don't mind so much that Snider cares but what I don't like is his hands on interference particularly in the last few years. It was too pronounced from my standpoint. We can agree to disagree...

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Your narrative isn't exactly gospel either. As far as Snider with respect to Richards and Carter..I have to disagree based on some of the info that was privately conveyed and posted on this board at the time until they had to redact it per the request of the source. MSE can confirm that action but obviously he will not get into the specifics. Also don't feel like getting into a circular argument over this issue again. In time the truth will come out eventually anyway...

As far as with Bryz...that one is more of a shared responsibility no doubt and Holmgren deserves a lot of heat for first not addressing the goaltending properly in the previous seasons and then having to be reactive at Snider's insistence.

I don't mind so much that Snider cares but what I don't like is his hands on interference particularly in the last few years. It was too pronounced from my standpoint. We can agree to disagree...
The Carter-Richards and Bryz situations undoubtedly involved Snider, who would have had to approve both deals. I guess I don't see this a meddling - Snider is doing his job as ultimate head of the organization.

If Ed found out about something that Carter/Richards did that was so egregious they had to be dealt immediately, then good on him for doing his job. He was very candid about the goaltending - he told Homer to fix it, which he tried to do. Again, this was years ago, can it really be meddling if it happens every 4 years?

If the owners/ownership group is just a rubber stamp, the organization will suffer. If they are disruptive and divided, like MLSE forcing Leieweke to want to move on, that's just as bad.

There are lots of bad ownership situations in the NHL (stupid, bankrupt, disinterested, too interested). Teams like the Flyers, Red Wings, Kings, Hawks, Bruins, Habs etc. (just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more) really are lucky to have stable, committed, deep-pocketed owners.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
The pressure in Snider's comments publicly, and what you can presume would have been said to Holmgren behind closed doors regarding the goaltending situation was a poor move by Snider. He deserves blame in that situation. It was essentially a mandate to make a goaltending splash. You aren't going to make the most shrewd decision when you are reacting to a mandate like that.

I like Snider a lot and I'm not trying to bash him, but he absolutely deserves criticism for that. That was a complete debacle that the organization completely lucked out of. I don't think people truly appreciate how bad that would have been without the amnesty clause.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
The pressure in Snider's comments publicly, and what you can presume would have been said to Holmgren behind closed doors regarding the goaltending situation was a poor move by Snider. He deserves blame in that situation. It was essentially a mandate to make a goaltending splash. You aren't going to make the most shrewd decision when you are reacting to a mandate like that.

I like Snider a lot and I'm not trying to bash him, but he absolutely deserves criticism for that. That was a complete debacle that the organization completely lucked out of. I don't think people truly appreciate how bad that would have been without the amnesty clause.

Ironically, Snider reportedly was one of the owners who lobbied hard for the amnesty clause so in that instance his involvement probably helped. But just like Holmgren..you shouldn't get a pass for fixing your own screwups..especially when they are epic like the Bryz signing. I mean Snider treated Bryz like some ambassador ..sending his private jet and all to woo him....:shakehead

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
There's also Brieres contract they amnest'd out of. Having to actually deal with both those contracts would have been a nightmare.

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
There's also Brieres contract they amnest'd out of. Having to actually deal with both those contracts would have been a nightmare.

Having Briere would have meant not being able to sign Vinny and Briere would have been off the books after this year... which may have been the preferable option, really. :laugh:

That contract was always meant to be dumped in the final years to a cap floor team, due to its high cap hit, but low amount of money due over the two years. Had there been no amnesty clause, they may have been able to move it (one of the reasons why Briere was unwilling to waive at the time was because he knew he'd get more money getting bought out and signing a new contract).

The Bryz contract is the contract that never should have been so easy to jettison; the Flyers certainly escaped out of that one.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Briere's deal would have manageable. He might have even been tradeable.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Nice...from today's installment.

Getting rid of Hartnell was a good message....."We got to fricking go!" so Hartnell had to go since he would always come into camp out of shape except that season when Jagr and G had a talk with him.

I hope Voracek is ready to go as well...he is typically a laggard come camp as well.

Bravo! He stayed away from his momma's potato dishes....:handclap:

“I didn’t change my workout, it stayed the same,†Voracek said. “Physically, I was doing great. You saw my second half of the season. I was in shape. I changed up my diet this summer.â€

Voracek said his diet this summer was rather boring.

“Cut the carbs completely, no bread, pasta, just fish, chicken, eggs, salads,†Voracek said. “Maybe steak, once a week and lot of vegetables. I don’t know my body fat, but it’s way lower than last year, for sure.â€

How it all translates onto the ice in the weeks ahead will show whether things worked out as anticipated. Voracek says he has seen a difference already.

“I feel lighter and quicker on the ice,†he said. “Now it’s a question of whether it comes down to hard battles and whether it will benefit me. I feel stronger as well in the gym. I don’t think I lost any of that raw power.â€

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/offseason-message-flyers-focus-fitness

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
If Ed found out about something that Carter/Richards did that was so egregious they had to be dealt immediately, then good on him for doing his job.
Richards was fairly insubordinate with Laviolette. CIP, the "Dry Island" stuff. Then there was Richards stiffing Comcast on an end of the year interview when he was a no show. A visibly perturbed Holmgren had to hastily step in and be interviewed in place of Richards.
Snider seems to be a down the command type of guy. If a person flaunts the authority within the organization, they're ex-Flyers fairly fast. CIP Brad McCrimmon when he clashed with BC in contract negotiations. Carter with his own black marks on his scorecard from the OCC shenanigans, didn't like his buddy getting dealt so he was moved PDQ as well.
Snider was never going to let the players run the team no matter who they were. (Remember the on going battle with the Lindros family?) People forget how much he had at stake when he got this club. Its success has his hands and work all over it. No way in the Devil's kitchen is he going to let the team go off on a tangent that he doesn't support.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Richards was fairly insubordinate with Laviolette. CIP, the "Dry Island" stuff. Then there was Richards stiffing Comcast on an end of the year interview when he was a no show. A visibly perturbed Holmgren had to hastily step in and be interviewed in place of Richards.
Snider seems to be a down the command type of guy. If a person flaunts the authority within the organization, they're ex-Flyers fairly fast. CIP Brad McCrimmon when he clashed with BC in contract negotiations. Carter with his own black marks on his scorecard from the OCC shenanigans, didn't like his buddy getting dealt so he was moved PDQ as well.
Snider was never going to let the players run the team no matter who they were. (Remember the on going battle with the Lindros family?) People forget how much he had at stake when he got this club. Its success has his hands and work all over it. No way in the Devil's kitchen is he going to let the team go off on a tangent that he doesn't support.

Fwiw, Carter was traded first. Then Richards. Apparently Homer was even willing to include Richards in the trade to Columbus:

http://www.csnphilly.com/sports/flyers-nearly-sent-mike-richards-to-columbus-too-in-jeff-carter-trade

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Bravo! He stayed away from his momma's potato dishes....:handclap:

Jake stayed away from carbs, and trained with Vinny Lecavalier in Montreal too:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/story/sports/nhl/flyers/2014/09/11/lecavalier-excited-clean-slate/15438907/

“Everybody needs to be in shape, for sure,†Lecavalier said. “Regardless, I think everyone would come in shape, but you have to push even harder.â€

Lecavalier spent most of August up in Montreal, his hometown only 40 minutes away in the suburbs, and trained with right wing Jake Voracek.

“It’s probably one of my best sessions,†Lecavalier said. “Skating with him, he’s pushing me. He’s so strong and makes you want to go faster. His practices with those skill drills ... that helped me. I feel good.â€

Let's hope they both come out flying, can only help.

Vinny also didn't rule out playing LW again:

“Last year was a shock because I never did play that position [LW],†Lecavalier said. “I started right when I came back from the injury playing left wing. If that’s where I’m at, I’ve got to be better at that position. I’ve got to learn that position. I’ve got to look at guys, left wingers, and what they do; look at my tape and see what I could be doing better to enter the zone better, defensive zone, little things to do. It will be my jobto be better at that position.â€

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
As much as I wish Lecavalier could have found a new home this summer, you can't help but admire his professionalism. Most guys would pout at being scapegoated and relegated to the fourth line, but Lecavalier hasn't said a word and is intent on being better. I'm going in with an open mind.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I honestly have a feeling that Lecavlier will have a better year.

If I had to guess rough totals I'd say

Giroux 30-60-90
Voracek 25-45-70
Simmonds 30-30-60
Schenn 30-30-60 (if with Giroux+Voracek)
Lecavelier 25-25-50 (playing ~70 games)
Read 25-20-45
Couturier 20-25-45

That's being pretty optimistic but I don't think it's too unlikely.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
As much as I wish Lecavalier could have found a new home this summer, you can't help but admire his professionalism. Most guys would pout at being scapegoated and relegated to the fourth line, but Lecavalier hasn't said a word and is intent on being better. I'm going in with an open mind.

The guy is no doubt a professional. Just imagine if somehow he clicked at LW and becomes the sniper that G and Jake need :nod:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
He still has the best shot on the team, although Bellemare might give him some competition for that title.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I think Simmonds could be down a little production wise. I am skeptical he can duplicate the year he had last season. I hope I am wrong because I like him. I just think he could have a down year. I don't base that on anything, just a gut feeling.

BringBackHakstol

Oct 25, 2005
Philadelphia
I think Simmonds could be down a little production wise. I am skeptical he can duplicate the year he had last season. I hope I am wrong because I like him. I just think he could have a down year. I don't base that on anything, just a gut feeling.

I feel pretty good about him replicating his season, however I don't see Simmonds getting better than he is now. I think a lot of people see him still improving

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
I feel pretty good about him replicating his season, however I don't see Simmonds getting better than he is now. I think a lot of people see him still improving

The only way Simmonds improves is if our team as a whole improves. Having a defense that can move the puck efficiently, help create offense and keep the puck out of our zone would do wonders for every forward on team.

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
If schenn does get time with giroux I think he'll get around 60 points, if not I think he may be able to get to 50

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Heeeeeere's Snider....:sarcasm:

Glad he is admitting he hasn't been "patient" (hence the Bryz and Bob "fiasco) and he realizes they are going to have to be going forward.

Reality is a *****...

VOORHEES, N.J. -- Flyers chairman Ed Snider said he is “cautiously optimistic” about this year’s club and is having to relearn “patience” again by keeping his top prospects and allowing them to develop into future Flyers.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/ed-snider-laments-snake-bitten-flyers

RELATED: Snider: Bobrovsky wasn't re-signing with Flyers

“Not only did we make a mistake on the long-term contract, but Bobrovksy’s a young guy and he told Paul, ‘As soon as my contract’s out, I’m out of here,’” Snider said.

“He wasn’t going to re-sign with us. He was going to go back to Russia [or] he was going to go with another team, but he wasn’t going to be a second-string goalie for the rest of his life. So that was also a problem, and Paul made the best of the situation.

“It’s not that we did not like Bobrovsky. The whole thing was a fiasco. We can’t look back. What happened, happened, and here we are. But then Paul made what I think was a great move in picking up Mason, who’s not chopped liver.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-philadelphia-flyers/snider-bobrovsky-wasnt-re-signing-flyers

RELATED POST: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=89609773&postcount=110

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You don't appear to live in reality, so how do you know what it's like?

That interview just confirms that it was Holmgren and the Flyers scouts who were at fault for deciding on Bryzgalov and coming up with the ridiculous 9-year deal. It doesn't fit your imagined narrative at all.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You don't appear to live in reality, so how do you know what it's like?

That interview just confirms that it was Holmgren and the Flyers scouts who were at fault for deciding on Bryzgalov and coming up with the ridiculous 9-year deal. It doesn't fit your imagined narrative at all.

Snider doth protest too much and you are beyond naive..

“I think Ron has established a philosophy that is probably long overdue," Snider said. "I probably have been a little too anxious to win a Cup.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad