Interview with Hextall

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
That and you're not matching up against Crosby and Malkin every game. Couturier will always get one of the two, but there isn't another team in the league with that 1-2 punch. Couturier should be getting a somewhat easier go of things against most of the other teams in the league though, unless they never want him to be more than a 40-50 point player.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
That and you're not matching up against Crosby and Malkin every game. Couturier will always get one of the two, but there isn't another team in the league with that 1-2 punch. Couturier should be getting a breather against the other teams in the league though, unless they never want him to be more than a 40-50 point player.

You'd think that the Penguins would be one of the teams the Flyers are the worst against, and yet it's the opposite. On paper Crosby and Malkin should shred through the Flyers defense and it should be an easy win for the Pens.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Is it me or since Hextall became GM, Snider has taken more of a back seat....at least publically?

I think with Hextall, Snider is finally backing off with his meddling and finally letting his GM be his own man without undue influence....

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
Is it me or since Hextall became GM, Snider has taken more of a back seat....at least publically?

I think with Hextall, Snider is finally backing off with his meddling and letting his GM be his own man without undue influence....

Kind of early to tell. He hasn't made as many offseason quotes as he has in the past so hopefully that is the case.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I think with Hextall, Snider is finally backing off with his meddling and finally letting his GM be his own man without undue influence....

They haven't played a game yet. Just wait intil the mastermind upstairs notices an imperfection or two this year and goes on his first media tirade.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Kind of early to tell. He hasn't made as many offseason quotes as he has in the past so hopefully that is the case.

I mean I'm sure he'll be interviewed and say how he is excited etc and that is fine but I don't think we'll get some of his veiled threats or comments about how he wants the team to play etc. I think the whole Bryz fiasco was the tipping point and I think with Hextall, Snider will empower his GM again.....hopefully.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He was dealing with a cancer scare around that time plus we've been in the dog days of summer for a while now so we'll see when the season actually rolls around.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
He was dealing with a cancer scare around that time plus we've been in the dog days of summer for a while now so we'll see when the season actually rolls around.

Good point. I mean I don't expect him to disappear or anything especially if he entertains media requests, but in the last few years I thought he was a little too involved in team affairs to say the least...

I'm sure Hextall expressed to Snider that he has to be his own man..I kind of already sense it with the moves he's made like getting rid of Paddock, Hartnell etc. That loyalty factor is not as pronounced it seems. Hextall seems to take a more business-like approach which is needed...

The Rage Kage

Apr 21, 2014
Hextall seems like a genius, but then he signs Rinaldo. What the **** is it with him that he can keep finding jobs?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries

Maybe Hextall walks around the offices carrying an old goalie stick and stares menacingly at Snider?

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
This was interesting:

Sean Couturier could someday be a legit Selke candidate because of his defensive, shutdown ability. Yet a Selke candidate has to show some offense too, and he seems content with “defense first.” Do you feel you are getting enough offense out of a guy who had back-to-back 96-point seasons in junior? He’s capable of a lot more.

Hextall: I agree 100 percent. I’ve talked about that this summer. Our biggest upside is up front with Brayden [Schenn] and Sean. Sean, you love what he does, the unselfishness, the team first, loving the challenge of playing against the other team’s top line. That’s awesome stuff.

Typically, a young player learns the defensive part after the offensive part. Coots in juniors was equally good on offense as defense, but up here, obviously, his defensive game is ahead of his offensive game. There’s another level. A couple of levels for Coots and you’re damn right, we expect it. He needs to push harder north. It’s a little bit of a mentality, a little bit of an attitude, but there’s going to be expectations placed on him that haven’t been [there] up to this point. He’s a young player and rightfully so, there has not been expectations from him to produce at a high level, but he’s been in the league long enough now where he needs to push the bar, offensively.

This is exactly how I feel about Couturier. It's more attitude than ability. I mean he's not uber-skilled, but he's got good skill and he's smart. There's another level that he hasn't shown outside of a few spurts as Hextall mentioned. I understand junior stats don't always translate, but the numbers he put up suggest he can and should be better offensively. Hopefully they are in his ear about being more aggressive.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is exactly how I feel about Couturier. It's more attitude than ability. I mean he's not uber-skilled, but he's got good skill and he's smart. There's another level that he hasn't shown outside of a few spurts as Hextall mentioned. I understand junior stats don't always translate, but the numbers he put up suggest he can and should be better offensively. Hopefully they are in his ear about being more aggressive.

His shot is pretty good.

and he makes some fantastic passes and has pretty good hands.

I would be surprised if in a few years he is not getting in the 50-60 range. He has the skillset to.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I think Couturier's lack of aggressiveness offensively comes from his lack of faith in his skating. He probably fears he won't be able to get back in time should he have to. His speed isn't actually so bad as it's how long it takes him to get to that speed.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

I really can't recall, over the last several years, Snider taking the forefront. He shows up for big signings and trades, and at the draft he hosted, but he really hasn't been that prominent. If and when Hexy makes a big deal, Ed will show up. Homer always said that Snider let him do his job, and supported virtually everything he did -and backed it up with cash.

kyuss

Wings make our ding-dings sing.
May 28, 2012
I really can't recall, over the last several years, Snider taking the forefront. He shows up for big signings and trades, and at the draft he hosted, but he really hasn't been that prominent. If and when Hexy makes a big deal, Ed will show up. Homer always said that Snider let him do his job, and supported virtually everything he did -and backed it up with cash.

Don't interrupt the imaginarritive.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
Everything Hextall says in interviews and the media is exactly what I like and want to hear and also exactly what this team needs.

Words are one thing, execution is another. So we'll see. The Rinaldo signing is discouraging but that's my only beef so far. Wish he would've gone after some free agents for forward depth but by the sounds of it he's planning for a few seasons down the road, which makes sense.

Kind of weird thinking Hextall might be that GM I've wanted for years now, but he is one of my favorite all-time players so yay for me I guess.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia

Guess you missed the whole Carter and Richards drama as well as the Bryz psycho thriller...

I am just going to have to disagree. He was a major catalyst in those instances..that is for sure.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Guess you missed the whole Carter and Richards drama as well as the Bryz psycho thriller...

I am just going to have to disagree. He was a major catalyst in those instances..that is for sure.

You accused Snider of meddling and undue influence. Holmgren said it was his decision to trade the party boys and Ed agreed. As far as Bryz goes, Ed told Homer he didn't want a repeat of the playoff goalie clusterf, and to fix it. Homer ID'd Bryz as the best option. Having the owner involved in ditching two stars and signing a big deal for a goalie several years ago does reek of meddling or micromanaging to me. Snider demands results but leaves the details and plan to the management then has input and signs off - just what you should expect.

Last edited:

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
You accused Snider of meddling and undue influence. Holmgren said it was his decision to trade the party boys and Ed agreed. As far as Bryz goes, Ed told Homer he didn't want a repeat of the playoff goalie clusterf, and to fix it. Homer ID'd Bryz as the best option. Having the owner involved in ditching two stars and signing a big deal for a goalie several years ago does reek of meddling or micromanaging to me. Snider demands results but leaves the details and plan to the management then has input and signs off - just what you should expect.

Holmgren says a lot of things that are half truths. Snider in both instances made demands and that to me is not about empowering your GM. You basically pressure him into having to be reactive... so much so that you basically put your GM in tears...that to me is not a healthy way to run a team. Holmgren made the best of the first situation and it was necessary but I still don't agree with Snider's style because it invariably led to the Bryz fiasco which was a total mess. That is the risk you run when you have an owner that is impulsive like that.

He needs to back off and I think he is with Hextall....so far.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
If an owner is ever putting any kind of advice out there then he's getting too involved and possibly not doing his job well. Either he's interfering with the man Snider himself hired in terms of the GM doing their job or the GM isn't capable of doing the job he was hired for. Either way that's Snider screwing up.

I mean it more as a general comment too. You won't ever know how much responsibility lies with who, but Snider clearly had strong words about Richards/Carter/Bryzgalov situations. Either have faith in your GM who you hired for that very job or get someone else you can have faith in. There should never be any reason for any owner in the league to try and pressure the GM into team decisions unless the owner their self is bad.

To be clear, not calling Snider a bad owner. Just saying that the owner should never be interfering with hockey decisions aside from hiring and firing the people that do.

Edit: And budgetary concerns if you're a budget team, we're not though.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Holmgren says a lot of things that are half truths. Snider in both instances made demands and that to me is not about empowering your GM. You basically pressure him into having to be reactive... so much so that you basically put your GM in tears...that to me is not a healthy way to run a team. Holmgren made the best of the first situation and it was necessary but I still don't agree with Snider's style because it invariably led to the Bryz fiasco which was a total mess. That is the risk you run when you have an owner that is impulsive like that.

He needs to back off and I think he is with Hextall....so far.

Again, you accuse Homer of half truths but you're just making stuff up out of thin air. Complete fabrication.

Snider did not make demands to have Carter AND Richards traded but when Homer made that call he agreed. Realistically, they could have signed Bryz by only trading one. I was Homer who took them for the car rides and talked to them about their behavior. It was in support of Lavy that he finally decided they both had to go, secretly, surreptitiously and simultaneously before the whole league got wind of it. Snider certainly would have to have been consulted on dealing two huge recent contracts of star players - we may never know if it was Ed or Homer who finally decided they had to go, but it doesn't matter.

Snider explicitly denied ordering Homer to sign Bryz when asked. He said he told him he didn't want a repeat of the playoff disaster and to 'fix it'. It was a higher level order, not who but what. Homer presented the best UFA option and Ed agreed to the $51MM and then again to the buyout.

Darn interfering owner. Cares passionately, demands to be in the loop on franchise altering decisions, supports his guys or fires them, and backs them up with his chequebook. A lot of other GMs would kill to be so lucky.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad