International Coyotes fan thread.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
How popular is hockey in Norway, by itself or compared to other sports?
Very small. Smallest of the Nordics. Normally, people here are wild about sport, in particular winter-sports. Sport is Norways true religion now. But hockey never catched on. It came to late, just before WW2, and then that stopped it. We need halls to play in, and we have like 50 in the country. So no. It's just big near the border to Sweden- not a coincidence that mentioned Lilleberg is from Sarpsborg, to mention him again. It also catched on on Oslo east end- it became a city labour class sport. And that is a disappearing segment, isn't it. Perhaps it was the migration back and forth over to Sweden who did that, people move from Sweden to work in Norway when it's good here and bad there, and vice versa. It seems to have struck a bit over in Stavanger too, possible some Canadians coming in with the oil-workers when they came? I don't know. (Stavanger is our oil-capital, the team there even call themselves the Oilers- yes, I know, ugly.:naughty:)

It keeps alive possibly because it's an Olympic sport, more respected among journalists and other sports than in the general public I think. We desperately need some success among the Norwegians to give the reporters an excuse to write about hockey.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Very small. Smallest of the Nordics. Normally, people here are wild about sport, in particular winter-sports. Sport is Norways true religion now. But hockey never catched on. It came to late, just before WW2, and then that stopped it. We need halls to play in, and we have like 50 in the country. So no. It's just big near the border to Sweden- not a coincidence that mentioned Lilleberg is from Sarpsborg, to mention him again. It also catched on on Oslo east end- it became a city labour class sport. And that is a disappearing segment, isn't it. Perhaps it was the migration back and forth over to Sweden who did that, people move from Sweden to work in Norway when it's good here and bad there, and vice versa. It seems to have struck a bit over in Stavanger too, possible some Canadians coming in with the oil-workers when they came? I don't know. (Stavanger is our oil-capital, the team there even call themselves the Oilers- yes, I know, ugly.:naughty:)

It keeps alive possibly because it's an Olympic sport, more respected among journalists and other sports than in the general public I think. We desperately need some success among the Norwegians to give the reporters an excuse to write about hockey.

As a fan of the winter Olympics, seems like Nordic Skiing is huge in Norway. True?

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
As a fan of the winter Olympics, seems like Nordic Skiing is huge in Norway. True?
You have no idea. Cross-country racers and ski jumpers used to be gods. Still are.

Although biathlon is eating a bit, but that's of course very related. Speed-skating used to have the same status as skiers. Speed-skating has fallen a bit, sadly, as that fall also not is helping with the hockey-recruiting.

Howling Overseas

Dec 9, 2023
Very small. Smallest of the Nordics. Normally, people here are wild about sport, in particular winter-sports. Sport is Norways true religion now. But hockey never catched on.
Thanks for the interesting recap. It's a shame, really- Denmark seems a few steps ahead with the same population totals as Norway (Finland has similar population, too. But just like metal bands, they punch way above their weight in hockey).
It's also interesting that it's a labor class sports.

P.S, if you guys don't use your 50 rinks, I'd love to have one 😄. We have 2.5, one of which currently down.

Edenjung

Jun 7, 2018
Must be funnier in Norwegian. :cool:
For them yes.
For the competition: No

Its basically a sarcastic remark on their to skiiers for using asthma spray to gain a performance boost.
At the 2018 olympics they had 6000 doses of astma medication for 121 athletes.
That spray is used to widen the bronchi and thus helps with getting o2 into your blood. But its Not considered doping if its under the limit.
But as a person who has an asthmatic in the family who also is a sports person, i can tell you this. If you have asthma and need that much medication then you shouldn't be able to compete.
And for people without it, it gives them an edge. And the norwegian athletes also have their doping cases. Especially in skiing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad