Management Interim GM and POHO Staios/Front Office Thread - Part XI

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Spezza is interesting. Summer of 2024 he'd have 2 years under his belt in mgmt. As part of a mgmt team, that's workable

Please not Chiarelli. Please not. I don't ask for much. I ask for this one thing.

Slippy

Dec 8, 2005
highlytouted.ca
Wow, I think Spezza will eventually get a gig as a GM somewhere, but it seems a bit early yet.
My thoughts exactly. Though it wouldn't be bad to get him in the organization before he goes elsewhere. The Sens are largely built going forward, so the job of the next GM will be slightly different than most new GM gigs. Typically, you're coming in to fix a mess on the ice or needing changes of some kind.

In Ottawa, the core is there on the ice. The next GM has to manage the maturing of this team into true perennial contender. While there will always need to be changes to the on ice product as the team evolves, the major changes for the organization are taking place in management. Those changes have already begun by adding good people into gaps that exist in Ottawa compared to pretty much every other team in the league and investing to provided more resources to the team.

I think Spezza is likely a smart hockey guy. I think the occasional goofy giggle, might make some underestimate his smarts. And love them or hate them, Spezza has been gaining experience with one of the biggest organizations in the league and now still in Pittsburgh. Perhaps, with great support around him, which it seems Andlauer and Staios are committed to doing, Spezza could take on a role like this now.

But yeah, ideally Spezza would be better prepared in a couple years from now.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Chiarelli even getting consideration for another GM job after his disastrous stint with the Oilers is proof the NHL is an old buys club.

Darche and Spezza are both unproven. Zero GM experience to go off of.

I remember people thinking Paul Fenton was an elite GM in the making after he had been Poile's assistant for many years, and then he got fired in an embarassing fashion after only a single season with the Wild.

Would prefer someone like Shero or Wilson - a veteran GM with a proven track record of success at getting good value in trades.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Chiarelli even getting consideration for another GM job after his disastrous stint with the Oilers is proof the NHL is an old buys club.

Darche and Spezza are both unproven. Zero GM experience to go off of.

I remember people thinking Paul Fenton was an elite GM in the making after he had been Poile's assistant for many years, and then he got fired in an embarassing fashion after only a single season with the Wild.

Would prefer someone like Shero or Wilson - a veteran GM with a proven track record of success at getting good value in trades.
Wilson ? Doug Wilson ?

Your opinion no longer counts lol.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Are you someone who thinks Wilson's record is ruined because he traded and then re-signed Karlsson?
Karlsson was only the icing on the cake

Vlasic 8 x 7M @ 31
Burns 8 x 8M @ 32
Couture 8 x 8M @ 30
Karlsson 8 x 11.5M @ 29

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Staios speaking during intermission. Talk about night and day compared to that last guy.
No problem having SS run it another few months or more till the right guy pops up.

Reactions: RyCam

R2010

May 23, 2011
First of all Doug Wilson would be a fine GM in Ottawa. Probably so would Darche and Spezza tbh. I'm honestly fine with whoever as long as they're forward thinking about how to build teams.

In terms of the specific hate for Spezza from some. All the 'insiders' say he'll be a great GM someday. Everyone who played with him says he treated people the right way. We all saw first hand he could speak well to the media.

I would prefer other options, sure. But I think Spezza on day 1 post-retirement was probably a better GM than we've been dealing with in Dorion.

It's nice to even have the option to fix our biggest most glaring issue. All positive from me on this.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Yup, pretty much vocalized the way they were behaving.

No rushed decisions, no walk of shame for PD, don’t intend to remove him any time soon, taking their time to evaluate before making moves, hiring to fill spots before firing to upgrade.

Doesn’t sound like DJ is in as precarious a situation as some folk wish, but we’ll see how long that lasts.

Very clearly refused to set playoffs as a goal, what a coward! ;)

Sounds like an awesome way to approach the organization, I’m really pumped for this group, it’s how I would approach the situation so I’m all smiles.

jake1

Oct 8, 2002
Visit site
It was refreshing to read that interview. The first-round pick is a bummer, and injuries maybe derailing the playoffs this year is disappointing, but folks should be pumped about the future. Such good, levelheaded people in charge. Could there actually be FYOUS in the future?

Butchy Dakkar

Dark Butch Yak didn't seem right.
Oct 3, 2020
I hope they start adding to the amateur and pro scouting staff now. We need picks to hit, and savvy pro trades when the time comes for that.

Reactions: LiseL

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I am not saying Peter Chiarelli should be the guy, but they need someone in the management group who has experience.

It doesn't mean they need to be the one making the trades, but there should be someone there who has been a GM before.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I am not saying Peter Chiarelli should be the guy, but they need someone in the management group who has experience.

It doesn't mean they need to be the one making the trades, but there should be someone there who has been a GM before.

which NHL team currently employs a GM that does NOT allow him to make trades?
1699283200021.gif

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Total faith in Staios and Andlauer at this point. All signs point to a measured and calculated front office that evaluates before making knee-jerk reactions, exactly the kind of energy we've been lacking in the FO. They've got a mess to clean up but I'm as confident as I've ever been that they'll be up to the task.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I hadn't seen this interview until now. Interestingly, Staois is saying things that I've bee saying. Not really surprising as its just common sense really. The fact that he said it's tough to evaluate this team now because of the injuries really resonated.

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Andlauer took control in late September, roughly the 20th. Pre season had started and the regular season was about 20 days away.

Staios does not come in until late September. About 2 weeks before the season starts

So a new owner some 45 days ago. A new POHO some 35 days ago. Staios becoming interim GM is 8 days ago.

All this mess is thanks to a Sale process that went on for 3 months too long.

Sale should have been completed in early April. Turn over should have been in early to late June. Then new owner would have had 3 months to evaluate and make changes.

This team has been very badly hurt by things dragging on. Eugen is at his end in December 2021. Dies in April 2022..Sale is in June of 2023. Turnover in Sept 2023. Almost 2 years of no one minding the store. Now look at all the idiot moves, and see when they happened.

Andlauer/Staois will need until December.. by then, this season may be over..

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
which NHL team currently employs a GM that does NOT allow him to make trades?
View attachment 763829

I didn't say he should be the GM. I said if he is brought in to be a veteran in the management group.

With that said, responsibilities of each role vary from team to team. Two people can have the same title in the NHL, but have completely different roles and responsibilities. There are teams where the POHO is more involved in day-to-day player personnel moves. It would not be completely outlandish to suggest that Staios could handle trades and roster construction, with a veteran GM being there to assist him rather than the veteran GM themselves dictating the moves.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I didn't say he should be the GM. I said if he is brought in to be a veteran in the management group.

With that said, responsibilities of each role vary from team to team. Two people can have the same title in the NHL, but have completely different roles and responsibilities. There are teams where the POHO is more involved in day-to-day player personnel moves. It would not be completely outlandish to suggest that Staios could handle trades and roster construction, with a veteran GM being there to assist him rather than the veteran GM themselves dictating the moves.

Well it seemed to me ( in you quoted post below) that you were advocating for Peter Chiarelli, or someone like him, who “has experience “, and I assumed experience as a GM.

GMs in the NHL are the ones “making trades”, and it appears that you don’t want a new GM (Peter Chiarelli or someone like him) with experience, to be making trades….. this makes no sense to me.

1699290849160.png

Also, I would be interested in knowing which NHL teams Have a POHO who handles trades, and the GM, is really an assistant to the POHO…. I can’t think of one….. perhaps there are, but after watching many Entry Drafts, I can’t recall any POHOs making trades, or being in charge of the Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad