Interesting Time for Drafting/Development

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
haven't had the time to do much scouting but either I'm out of touch or perhaps need new glasses as the little I did see I wasn't in favor of picking any of Reinbacher, Slaf, or KK as I wanted to trade down all 3 times for an extra 1st but my guys have been injured in Boqvist, Nazar and this year the only one I badly wanted us to get was Smith so we couldn't. I didn't know who Maiiloux was until a few days before the draft when it came out he didn't want to be drafted but I thought the pick made sense once I watched him. Of course I think just about everyone wanted Caufield.

With the team building it's self around Caufield, Suzuki, I can see why they want to add size/skill in guys like Slaf, Reinbacher as I'm sure they are looking at Hutson and seeing that with the right fit he could be a f***ing star in several years. You just have to hope that Hughes is looking at the situation closely and making decisions based off correct info. It's way too early but a year later gives you some indication and there's a lot to like and several to be concerned with from the Habs group of scouts.

But that doesn't mean anything at this point, it's just way, way too early to say what the Habs have in all these prospects they have amassed lately. We have a HC that looks like he can develop offensive talent, we have a lot of prospects that will need top notch development from this organization every step of the way going forward if they are to get this right imo. Or I could be wrong and Slaf, Reinbacher, Mesar end up kicking major ass vs Kulich, Leonard, Cooley as well as Dach and Newhook since they will need to hit on both to some degree.

Goaltending was my big concern as I just can't say I believe in Monty just yet to be the one to lead us to being a contender but it's hard to say how long that will take as clearly management is looking to speed things up by trading the 13th, 31st, 37th OA picks in the last year. That could be a very smart move or it could just set us back further. So now we'll need to see did they find their goalie of the future, cause right now we have the most goalie prospects I have ever seen, so I at least like our odds that we hit pay dirt on one of them.

I really like the D prospects, we know Guhle, Harris will be very solid NHLers or better, Barron is showing things but still needs improvement/development, Xhejkaj is a beast. They will need time to learn, grow, progress, improve. It should be lots of ups and downs. Hutson, Mailloux are very much boom or bust types but they are a lot of fun and highly skilled. Reinbacher looks to worse to be a solid bottom pairing D, of course you expect better but it's hard seeing him bust. That alone is an excellent mix, add in Engstrom who had an outstanding season in the SHL at 19, how much progress does he show will be massive for the Habs. Norlinder struggled badly in the first half but he really turned it around in the 2nd half so we'll see if he can show progress or is this it. Struble will play in the NHL at some point.

Clearly the strength is the D prospects/youth. Lots of hope in net but will likely need a few years to really get a good idea of where both stand. At least you can see how this could end up going either very well, good, great even as there is a lot to like here. Not saying it will or won't as how could I know one way or the other but I can at least see how we could be set here like really set. Which then leads to the offense where imo we still need a lot of work. As much as I like the Caufield/Suzuki do, I was surprised by Dach and RHP being so good this year and even a little bit by Guhle as I didn't think he would look so good so fast.

I really like Farrell but you got to wonder how it could work with Caufield in the top 6 and perhaps Newhook. Heineman at worst I think will be a 4th liner as he should be a safe bet to be an NHLer. Roy is certainly one of the most interesting prospects we have, how they develop him and Farrell in terms of improving their physical tools of strength, skating, speed, mass, will be very interesting to see how it unfolds.

It looks like they will need a high pick in '24 and '25 to help with the offense or trade for someone in the Dach-Newhook range or hopefully better as Anderson is 29 and this could be a few years so that asset could end up being wasted depending of course on how everything else goes, if Hughes gets this thing going faster then expected then hopefully the right moves are made. It's way way too early to say one way or the other at this point but it will be very interesting to see from a development standpoint at least.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Team needs 3 more years of top picks, not blueliners, and a goalie. How they insulate the smurfs here is beyond me. This draft was a step backwards, should have taken Leonard or Matvei and drafted D next year. Confusing times with little direction , good post on your part

First Line

There’s something about Marty
Aug 21, 2002
"Which then leads to the offense where imo we still need a lot of work"

This is the main issue I have with picking Reinbacher. We have a stacked D pool, we really need to stock on talented offensive as I'm not sold on our forward prospects outside of Beck.
Stacked D pool only on one side.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Team needs 3 more years of top picks, not blueliners, and a goalie. How they insulate the smurfs here is beyond me. This draft was a step backwards, should have taken Leonard or Matvei and drafted D next year. Confusing times with little direction , good post on your part
Ironically I feel like this is easily the time this team has had the most ''direction'' since the 2014-15 season. It finally feels like we are committed to throwing out the trash dead wood.

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
haven't had the time to do much scouting but either I'm out of touch or perhaps need new glasses as the little I did see I wasn't in favor of picking any of Reinbacher, Slaf, or KK as I wanted to trade down all 3 times for an extra 1st but my guys have been injured in Boqvist, Nazar and this year the only one I badly wanted us to get was Smith so we couldn't. I didn't know who Maiiloux was until a few days before the draft when it came out he didn't want to be drafted but I thought the pick made sense once I watched him. Of course I think just about everyone wanted Caufield.

With the team building it's self around Caufield, Suzuki, I can see why they want to add size/skill in guys like Slaf, Reinbacher as I'm sure they are looking at Hutson and seeing that with the right fit he could be a f***ing star in several years. You just have to hope that Hughes is looking at the situation closely and making decisions based off correct info. It's way too early but a year later gives you some indication and there's a lot to like and several to be concerned with from the Habs group of scouts.

But that doesn't mean anything at this point, it's just way, way too early to say what the Habs have in all these prospects they have amassed lately. We have a HC that looks like he can develop offensive talent, we have a lot of prospects that will need top notch development from this organization every step of the way going forward if they are to get this right imo. Or I could be wrong and Slaf, Reinbacher, Mesar end up kicking major ass vs Kulich, Leonard, Cooley as well as Dach and Newhook since they will need to hit on both to some degree.

Goaltending was my big concern as I just can't say I believe in Monty just yet to be the one to lead us to being a contender but it's hard to say how long that will take as clearly management is looking to speed things up by trading the 13th, 31st, 37th OA picks in the last year. That could be a very smart move or it could just set us back further. So now we'll need to see did they find their goalie of the future, cause right now we have the most goalie prospects I have ever seen, so I at least like our odds that we hit pay dirt on one of them.

I really like the D prospects, we know Guhle, Harris will be very solid NHLers or better, Barron is showing things but still needs improvement/development, Xhejkaj is a beast. They will need time to learn, grow, progress, improve. It should be lots of ups and downs. Hutson, Mailloux are very much boom or bust types but they are a lot of fun and highly skilled. Reinbacher looks to worse to be a solid bottom pairing D, of course you expect better but it's hard seeing him bust. That alone is an excellent mix, add in Engstrom who had an outstanding season in the SHL at 19, how much progress does he show will be massive for the Habs. Norlinder struggled badly in the first half but he really turned it around in the 2nd half so we'll see if he can show progress or is this it. Struble will play in the NHL at some point.

Clearly the strength is the D prospects/youth. Lots of hope in net but will likely need a few years to really get a good idea of where both stand. At least you can see how this could end up going either very well, good, great even as there is a lot to like here. Not saying it will or won't as how could I know one way or the other but I can at least see how we could be set here like really set. Which then leads to the offense where imo we still need a lot of work. As much as I like the Caufield/Suzuki do, I was surprised by Dach and RHP being so good this year and even a little bit by Guhle as I didn't think he would look so good so fast.

I really like Farrell but you got to wonder how it could work with Caufield in the top 6 and perhaps Newhook. Heineman at worst I think will be a 4th liner as he should be a safe bet to be an NHLer. Roy is certainly one of the most interesting prospects we have, how they develop him and Farrell in terms of improving their physical tools of strength, skating, speed, mass, will be very interesting to see how it unfolds.

It looks like they will need a high pick in '24 and '25 to help with the offense or trade for someone in the Dach-Newhook range or hopefully better as Anderson is 29 and this could be a few years so that asset could end up being wasted depending of course on how everything else goes, if Hughes gets this thing going faster then expected then hopefully the right moves are made. It's way way too early to say one way or the other at this point but it will be very interesting to see from a development standpoint at least.

Their organizational philosophy in terms of roster construction seems to be all over the goddamn place, particularly up front.

The Newhook move in particular makes no sense.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Ironically I feel like this is easily the time this team has had the most ''direction'' since the 2014-15 season. It finally feels like we are committed to throwing out the trash dead wood.
I think that's more testament to how bad the Bergevin era (error!) was. I still don't feel like there's a viable plan. We want to speed up the rebuild by getting Newhook, but everything since that trade is quite the opposite. We're at best spinning tires with Hoffman still here and not bought out. Nobody is trading for him come deadline, same as Drouin. Same as Armia, Gallagher... getting a 3rd for Edmunston is something I guess.

Reactions: amethyst

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
I think that's more testament to how bad the Bergevin era (error!) was. I still don't feel like there's a viable plan. We want to speed up the rebuild by getting Newhook, but everything since that trade is quite the opposite. We're at best spinning tires with Hoffman still here and not bought out. Nobody is trading for him come deadline, same as Drouin. Same as Armia, Gallagher... getting a 3rd for Edmunston is something I guess.

I'm not sure how you equate the Newhook acquisition as speeding up the process. He falls clearly in line with the rest of the youth core and timeline.

Hughes merely added a more ripened prospect if you will, over two mystery boxes.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Broadly agree. The major area of strength is defence, and the major weakness is on offence. We've come a long way from the days where we thought we were set with Beaulieu and Tinordi. Lane had a monster season and isn't even our top dog on defence. I think it hasn't really sunk in just how good Engström season in Sweden was, he f***ing killed it this year, regular season, playoffs, juniors. And Reinbacher is the top D in this draft, IMO.

But the forwards is where it gets murky, as always in Montreal. Suzuki and Caufield are excellent players, but beyond that, we have a bunch of potential and no sure things. Maybe we get lucky, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

A lottery win this year would be just what the doctor ordered. Eiserman or Celebrini are exactly what this team needs.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Looks like they will move out more vets, so there should be lots of opportunities for young players. When Buffalo scores 296 goals and misses the playoffs, it's a reminder of how tough the division is. It's a probably good time to be bad and draft high. They could definitely use a dynamic offensive player or two.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

HabbyGuy

Apr 10, 2003
Hamilton Ontario
Visit site
Not my words, those used at the post-trade news confrence

Be that as it may, I don't see how it changes much with the plan going forward. It might just be me though.

If Newhook hits, I can maybe understand how it may push us forward a little quicker, but him hitting would ultimately be what we'd want anyway. And would obviously be a plus.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Looks like they will move out more vets, so there should be lots of opportunities for young players. When Buffalo scores 296 goals and misses the playoffs, it's a reminder of how tough the division is. It's a probably good time to be bad and draft high. They could definitely use a dynamic offensive player or two.
You mean like the ones we just passed up on?

Be that as it may, I don't see how it changes much with the plan going forward. It might just be me though.

If Newhook hits, I can maybe understand how it may push us forward a little quicker, but him hitting would be what we'd want anyway.
Personally, I liked that trade. It has risks, sure, but could also work out. Newhook though, at best, is still a 2nd liner. More likely a 3rd liner; ALL of our forward prospects are at best 3rd liners and we aren't exactly chock full on talented forwards right now.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
We want to speed up the rebuild by getting Newhook, but everything since that trade is quite the opposite. We're at best spinning tires with Hoffman still here and not bought out.
Hughes probably still thinks he can get something by trading Hoffman.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
If he does think that, we're in deeper trouble than I thought
Why? He's the one speaking with the other GMs he probably has a good idea if there is any interest or not, and he has many months to find a suitor before the trade deadline. There would be absolutely no benefit from him to just assume it can't happen and buy out the guy.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

Way too early to say what they got from this draft as once they traded for Newhook they sort of signaled that they weren't too high on the depth of this draft. After pick 69 I think it was just more throw some picks at the wall and see what sticks. So let's see how this entire draft class looks in 10 years cause they clearly didn't think too highly of it or else they would have had more then 1 top 68 pick as that's a very MB like draft so it flashed serious PTSD for me from 2014 - 2016 drafts.

This could be a disaster but EVERYONE should keep an open mind as I don't give a f*** who anyone is, there is not a single person that knows how this will play out. Reinbacher could end up being the greatest or just average who knows. After that with the odds on draft picks playing 300 NHL games or more is so low after the 1st round that I don't expect much from a draft when you go into picking once in the top 68. That said they seemed to throw some picks away (no offense to Xhekaj but he looks like an ECHLer in the 1 game I saw) and some other odd ones. I can't say I see what they did in Reinbacher but I also haven't seen much of him as I only saw him at the WJC's and maybe a little of the WC's.

Their organizational philosophy in terms of roster construction seems to be all over the goddamn place, particularly up front.

The Newhook move in particular makes no sense.

It makes sense in that the clearly are trying to find skilled players with elite speed/skating/motor. Heinemen, Newhook, Smilanic, Beck, Mesar are all great skaters with high end speed/motors. Now the question will be is that the right choice, I do like it myself as speed is a good start to build around but of course you will need lots of other things as well. Time will tell if they got it right or not.

Reactions: HabbyGuy

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Why? He's the one speaking with the other GMs he probably has a good idea if there is any interest or not, and he has many months to find a suitor before the trade deadline. There would be absolutely no benefit from him to just assume it can't happen and buy out the guy.
Better players were bought out yesterday. I'd rather play Heineneman over Hoffman, wouldn't you?

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
If you are looking at a rebuild, the defense and goalies are the positions that take the longest to develop, so why not start there? Like they say you.build from the net out. Look at Toronto, 4 forwards better than anything here, and can't win without defense and goalies.

Reactions: Habs13

Twisted Sinister

Living in Your Head Rent Free
Oct 8, 2014
Way too early to say what they got from this draft as once they traded for Newhook they sort of signaled that they weren't too high on the depth of this draft. After pick 69 I think it was just more throw some picks at the wall and see what sticks. So let's see how this entire draft class looks in 10 years cause they clearly didn't think too highly of it or else they would have had more then 1 top 68 pick as that's a very MB like draft so it flashed serious PTSD for me from 2014 - 2016 drafts.

This could be a disaster but EVERYONE should keep an open mind as I don't give a f*** who anyone is, there is not a single person that knows how this will play out. Reinbacher could end up being the greatest or just average who knows. After that with the odds on draft picks playing 300 NHL games or more is so low after the 1st round that I don't expect much from a draft when you go into picking once in the top 68. That said they seemed to throw some picks away (no offense to Xhekaj but he looks like an ECHLer in the 1 game I saw) and some other odd ones. I can't say I see what they did in Reinbacher but I also haven't seen much of him as I only saw him at the WJC's and maybe a little of the WC's.

It makes sense in that the clearly are trying to find skilled players with elite speed/skating/motor. Heinemen, Newhook, Smilanic, Beck, Mesar are all great skaters with high end speed/motors. Now the question will be is that the right choice, I do like it myself as speed is a good start to build around but of course you will need lots of other things as well. Time will tell if they got it right or not.

I get that they want guys with skating, but just using skating as a one-dimensional variable to construct a roster isn't good. As its currently projected, a 60-70-point ceiling guy at 5'11" doesn't belong in this top 6.

This just seems like a nepotism move since Hughes knew the guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad