Interesting Info: Part XIX (Jackets-related "tidbits" here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
That seems like a lot of respect from the media and from the Pens, who admitted that the game was on their minds. It's a good rejoinder to those that insist that the Jackets can't be the Pens rivals because they supposedly aren't good enough.

For all the angst about the Jackets just playing .500 since the streak, it's still a pace that will get them about 100 pts. And the Rangers haven't been any better. It's good to know that Torts has the time to experiment and get the guys ready to play playoff hockey. Hopefully they don't wait too long.

It could be the Habs in the first round, I don't know, but that doesn't scare me. The Pens would be tough but that's a matchup I want to see. As long as they don't completely bomb down the stretch and have to face the Caps, I'm chill about it. The Caps just outclass the Jackets, it could be a quick dismissal.

Maybe I've got my rose-colored glasses on...but I don't think the Caps outclass the Jackets by that much. Yes, Caps are a better defensive team right now, and running hot. And while I would be worried about a round 1 matchup against the Caps, I would like the Jackets' chances in a second round series against the Caps. CBJ needs to get their feet wet and win a series, and agree that running into the Caps in round 1 is not the preferred path. But once Jackets get past first round (maybe it's US that need to get past the first round:laugh:) they can give even the mighty Caps a good run.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Maybe I've got my rose-colored glasses on...but I don't think the Caps outclass the Jackets by that much. Yes, Caps are a better defensive team right now, and running hot. And while I would be worried about a round 1 matchup against the Caps, I would like the Jackets' chances in a second round series against the Caps. CBJ needs to get their feet wet and win a series, and agree that running into the Caps in round 1 is not the preferred path. But once Jackets get past first round (maybe it's US that need to get past the first round:laugh:) they can give even the mighty Caps a good run.

I don't think the Caps are running hot. They're just built to shred teams.

The first round I might be more optimistic for the Jackets than in the second. The first round is the most violent, and this club can ramp up the hitting big time when they want to.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
The only team I don't want to face in a 7-game series in the playoffs are the Caps. I think we can hang with Pittsburgh and beat both Montreal and the Rangers. Granted, it's unlikely we face New York, but falling to the #1 WC spot at the end of the season wouldn't be the end of the world. Might even give us the best chance to make it to the ECF.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Talent wise we're far behind Caps and Penguins (but Penguins always have health problems), but we match up well vs Penguins, we usually always play them tough. That being said anything can happen in the playoffs. My preference would also to be to obviously have home ice in first round, but if not (if wwe're be on road) I'd rather play Montreal, than having to go through Pittsburgh and Washington to get to finals.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
and I believe that if you are crossover you stay there until the conference final. Atlantic seems like a much easier road to the Conference final.

Hmmm...Maybe I've found my new "senseless wins create problems" cause

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
With Hitch and Julien fired, im starting to feel better about Shaw staying on board for next year

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Stunning stat Porty put out there.

The club allowed 4+ goals only 3 times in the first 36 games. They've now done it 6 straight.

IMO, this has a variety of reasons, but none bigger than missing Savard. He's been our best defensive D this year. (I know I know he skates stupidly and was bad at times before, but this year we rely on him heavily).

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Former blue jackets defensemen not exactly thriving with their new club....

Goloubef: 3 points in 20 games, -12
Tyutin: 8 points in 40 games, -20.

Now, I know Tyuts and Golo aren't known for putting up points but 11 points, -32 in 60 combined games. Yowza!

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Former blue jackets defensemen not exactly thriving with their new club....

Goloubef: 3 points in 20 games, -12
Tyutin: 8 points in 40 games, -20.

Now, I know Tyuts and Golo aren't known for putting up points but 11 points, -32 in 60 combined games. Yowza!

Maybe the front office was on to something by letting them go :sarcasm:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Stunning stat Porty put out there.

The club allowed 4+ goals only 3 times in the first 36 games. They've now done it 6 straight.

IMO, this has a variety of reasons, but none bigger than missing Savard. He's been our best defensive D this year. (I know I know he skates stupidly and was bad at times before, but this year we rely on him heavily).

It's funny because I said he was playing well early in the season and called him a good defender and got ridiculed by a certain poster here. And now look at the D without him..

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The poor play of the D actually began when Nuti went out, which I think was a bit before Savard's injury. It was exacerbated by Savard's absence, no doubt.

Heinze 57

Jan 3, 2009
Cincinnati, Oh
I can't get enough of these "turnaround" stats.

Last season, Game 52: 19-28-5

This season, Game 52: 34-13-5

We've reached last season's full win total in 30 fewer games.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus

Wouldn't mind seeing some lines changed up a bit with Bjork back in the lineup (I'm assuming for Anderson)

Jenner-Dubinsky-Atkinson
Saad-Wennberg-Bjorkstrand
Hartnell-Karlsson-Foligno
Calvert-Sedlak-Gagner

Hopefully Andy's back (and fully recovered) soon

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Hockey Night in Canada just reported the players called a meeting with Torts and asked that he tone things down with them.......

....was this reported here ever???

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Hockey Night in Canada just reported the players called a meeting with Torts and asked that he tone things down with them.......

....was this reported here ever???

Nope.

Tone things down with them? As in he's yelling too much or that he's working them too hard?

Johansen2Foligno

CBJ Realest
Jan 2, 2015
Hopefully he doesn't make them do the helmet test

Xz6psbt.gif

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This isn't Jackets related, but the history of hockey in Columbus related.

California Golden Seals story told in new documentary

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/california-golden-seals-story-told-in-new-documentary-140429470.html

I really want to see this because if anyone else on here remembers, Columbus was the minor league affiliate of the California Golden Seals for 2 years. As a matter of fact, it was the first minor league team in the city since the Columbus Checkers folded up shop. So, Charlie Finley, who owned both the California Golden Seals, and the minor league version here, was the guy that brought hockey back to Columbus. In the two seasons the Seals were a woeful 25-117-4. They only won 10 games in their second season, and that was the first season of Moe Bartoli's minor league coaching career here in Columbus. I went to many of these games, and even though these guys really were terrible, I loved watching them in the old barn.

columbseals73_4032.jpg

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/2017...coach-john-tortorella-blown-out-of-proportion

Blue Jackets captain Nick Foligno said a report that players requested a meeting with coach John Tortorella to ask him to be more constructive with his recent criticism was "blown out of proportion."

Sportsnet insiders Nick Kypreos and Elliotte Friedman, speaking on a Hockey Night In Canada panel Saturday night, reported the players wanted Tortorella to be more positive with them as they try to work their way out of an 8-9-1 funk.

Responding to a text message from the Dispatch, Foligno took issue with how the meeting was characterized.

"This whole story is blown out of proportion," Foligno wrote Sunday afternoon. "We talked about a lot of things in the meeting. Meetings happen all the time and I'm not sure why this one was turned into something way more than what it was."

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Leafs broadcast reporting McElhinney will get the start tomorrow night... yikes. This should be.... fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad