Post-Game Talk: Inter Squad 2 - Team Schneider 3, Team Luongo 0 (Team S also wins SO)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The tendency for Vancouverites to abandon anything that isn't "trendy" is a little tiresome. I would rather the canucks keep a unique and successful playoff tradition than hopping ship to whatever kind of tune the kiddies happen to like at the moment.

There was a time when we came out in the playoffs to I think either "Thunderstruck" or another AC/DC song. Being a fan at that point for just 6 years, it was not the same as 'Streets'. I think most of it has to do with associations we have to that song. We've used it since we've been in the playoffs after we got out of the Messier era so I think many attach the feeling of hope, optimism, and pride. Hence it's been here so long we just feel right about it. I think it would be stupid to change it.

Why not play the Elmo intro song? :)

Maybe childish was a poor choice.

I don't know who said it, but they put it pretty well. Something like "The difference in culture of Boston and Vancouver is vastly different. When the Bruins take the ice, the jumbotron shows big hits, fights, brawls, scrums, etc. When the Canucks take the ice, the jumbotron shows them getting coffee, working out, goals etc.

Who they are catering to is a very different audience than us, ours is more family-oriented.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Just got back from the scrimmage.

If Schroeder doesn't get the 2nd line center spot, then AV is full of ****.
Schroeder played great, had a few very good passes in the offensive zone which led to goals/scoring opportunities.

Mason Raymond made my buddy and I laugh all game. Why cant he score like this every game? :laugh:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
My thoughts on tonights game... Much more intensity than last night
Sedins- Played very well again. Maybe trying to hard to score pretty goals.
Burrows/Higgins/Hansen- Played as people might expect them to. All seem to be skating a little quicker tonight than earlier in the week. Nothing too exciting though.
Raymond- Really good game. As noted, scored all 3 goals. Had many more chances and played great alonside Schroeder. Anybody else think his shot has improved?
Schroeder- Good game. His vision works really well with the speedy Raymond. Outplayed Ebbett again.
Lapierre- Didn't do all that much tonight. Never reached full speed tonight.
Kassian- Some give and goes early on. I thought he faded away as the game went on.
Volpatti- Didn't have a great game. Defensively he has problems. He has potential to be a good 4th liner because he skates so well. Easier to learn defence than speed/skating
Malhotra- Not as good as last night but still solid. Looked good on PK with Weise.
Weise- Playing well. I expect to see him on the PK this year. Has really improved his game.
Vandemeer- Looked too slow to be a forward. Physical game was good though.
Bieksa/Hamhuis- didn't really stand out tonight but played ok. more steady tonight.
Garrison- Looked really good. Big shots from the point. Gonna be good on the PP. Got crossed up with Edler a couple times. Ended up on the right side with Edler.
Edler- Solid game. Looks good with Garrison. Still occasionally getting crossed up but not really his fault tonight.

Ballard/Tanev- Another good outing. playing steady. Tanev looks like he is gaining confidence.
Barker- Looked slow tonight which caused him to be out of position. Was he the one who had a bit of a stick fight with raymond? I couldnt quite see what was going on in the corner.
Corrado- had a rough night. looked like he was lacking confidence.
Connauton- Played well tonight. a couple slip ups here and there but overall ok.
Sweatt- Played ok. Not as good as last night.
Rodin- Looked out of his league again...
Joslin- Solid game tonight. Best ice session of the entire week for him.
Schneider- Great game. Really liked how he outwaited all the shooters in the shoot out.
Luongo- didnt really have a good view of his play tonight so I cant say much.

Just got home - took my kids to see the scrimmage.

My take is a bit different.

Edler and Garrison showed some real creativity offensively, but were brutal defensively. Particularly on the 2nd goal, they just backed in and gave Raymond way to much space. Garrison has a great shot and made some really nice offensive reads, but was not strong defensively.

I thought Corrado looked reasonably good tonight - he was #58 right? His defensive partner seem to treat the puck like a hot potato, but Corrado was okay. Last night he looked like a spectator when the Sedins were in the offensive zone, but tonight he did a much better job. Given the depth on our defense, he certainly hasn't earned a roster spot, but he had a better night than a couple of veterans.

My take is that the guys who have been playing in the AHL and Europe looked to have much more jump. Understandable, but I do wonder why the Sedins and Edler didn't play in the SEL.

Luongo, despite giving up 3 goals on the first 12 shots, played pretty well in the scrimmage. All three goals were major defensive lapses. In the shootout, Luongo was pretty bad, particularly on Lapierre's pathetic effort.

Schneider however was outstanding.

Ebbett was okay, and clearly had lesser wingers tonight, but Schroeder was much better. He showed an ability to hit Raymond in full stride.

CookieCrumbs*

There was a time when we came out in the playoffs to I think either "Thunderstruck" or another AC/DC song. Being a fan at that point for just 6 years, it was not the same as 'Streets'. I think most of it has to do with associations we have to that song. We've used it since we've been in the playoffs after we got out of the Messier era so I think many attach the feeling of hope, optimism, and pride. Hence it's been here so long we just feel right about it. I think it would be stupid to change it.

I don't know who said it, but they put it pretty well. Something like "The difference in culture of Boston and Vancouver is vastly different. When the Bruins take the ice, the jumbotron shows big hits, fights, brawls, scrums, etc. When the Canucks take the ice, the jumbotron shows them getting coffee, working out, goals etc.

Who they are catering to is a very different audience than us, ours is more family-oriented.

It mirrors their style of play perfectly then.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Really liking how Schroeder was able multiple times to hit Raymond with passes in full stride heading North-South. If they can manage to do that during a real game, could see this becoming a real weapon for us.
Perhaps move him to wing when Kesler returns & be that "playmaking winger" we've been looking for?

Understandable, but I do wonder why the Sedins and Edler didn't play in the SEL.
In the case of Edler, might be the case of he was rehabbing his back.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Really like what I saw from Schroeder today, and that's not including the 2 assists he had. Supports his D well and seems to always be in the right position. His speed and passing are just superb, IMO. Makes such a difference offensively having another playmaker in the lineup outside of the Sedins.

Hank needs to shoot more! It always feels like he only shoots when he has to, not because he wants to shoot it. The Sedins' passing is just exquisite to watch in person.

Garrison seemed like he'd been playing with the Twins for a long time with those little behind-the-back passes.

Malhotra and Weise seemed to work well together - we might have a viable 4th line even without Lappy on it. But with Volpatti on it though? Not so sure...

Pseudonymous*

nobody expected garrison to match the offensive numbers he put up in florida during his last year but it sure looks like hes going to, if not surpass it. he looks like the total package who is capable of putting up 45+ pts and 10-15 goals.

this signing sure is looking damn good

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
I just came back,

Man that was one hell of a game, and well worth the time going to the game. Great entertainment, even if I paid.

Raymond was the best player, alongside schroader.

Garrison and edler were solid, everybody else was average.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
gangnam style was great, i swear 99% of the kids were doing the dance, jumping up and down, was great entertainment.

NonBruinHatingCanuck

May 28, 2011
Just got home - took my kids to see the scrimmage.

My take is a bit different.

Edler and Garrison showed some real creativity offensively, but were brutal defensively. Particularly on the 2nd goal, they just backed in and gave Raymond way to much space. Garrison has a great shot and made some really nice offensive reads, but was not strong defensively.

I thought Corrado looked reasonably good tonight - he was #58 right? His defensive partner seem to treat the puck like a hot potato, but Corrado was okay. Last night he looked like a spectator when the Sedins were in the offensive zone, but tonight he did a much better job. Given the depth on our defense, he certainly hasn't earned a roster spot, but he had a better night than a couple of veterans.

My take is that the guys who have been playing in the AHL and Europe looked to have much more jump. Understandable, but I do wonder why the Sedins and Edler didn't play in the SEL.

Luongo, despite giving up 3 goals on the first 12 shots, played pretty well in the scrimmage. All three goals were major defensive lapses. In the shootout, Luongo was pretty bad, particularly on Lapierre's pathetic effort.

Schneider however was outstanding.

Ebbett was okay, and clearly had lesser wingers tonight, but Schroeder was much better. He showed an ability to hit Raymond in full stride.

Why exactly was this a "pathetic" effort? Seriously explain? From my point of view i thought it looked pretty slick

StringerBell

Works for guys like Linden and Tambellini in Canucks past.

It's always the go-to move for shootout wizard Jonathan Toews. There was an interview on TSN after they replayed his WJC heriocs against the USA where they asked him about always going 5-hole in NHL shootouts after showing so much versatility that game. He was pretty pissed they were advertising his tendencies :laugh:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
I really like the U2 opening; as others have said, it has the "epic" feel to it. The only issue is that its purpose seems to be directed more at adding to production value than it does getting the players jacked for the game.

It's the kind of thing I would love to keep permanently as the Playoff home opener, or even series home opener- its a great tradition. That being said, I wouldn't be opposed to switching it up to a different style as well. The Hawks coming out to Stranglehold is one of the best intros in the league if you ask me- I could get on board with a song of that variety, something that just gets you pumped.

Callhee

Embrace the hate.
Aug 24, 2009
I agree. Big, rangy, smart and decent enough hands to move the puck to where it needs to go. Him and Corrado are our best shots at churning out NHL dmen IMO.

I agree, and I would add Tommernes to that list. He's looking pretty good in the SEL.

HalfPastDan

Registered Schmoozer
Feb 7, 2010
Frank Corrado ‏@frankcorrado22
Headed back to Kitchener, great experience at camp, learned a lot from some great players.

Corrado's headed back to the O.

Bieksa had some nice parting words:

Kevin Bieksa ‏@kbieksa3
Good luck @frankcorrado22 with the rest of your season! Remember what I said- every team needs RH Ontario dmen! See you soon pal.

luongo321

Apr 12, 2011
Really liking how Schroeder was able multiple times to hit Raymond with passes in full stride heading North-South. If they can manage to do that during a real game, could see this becoming a real weapon for us.

Until kesler comes back and hogs the puck. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad