TSN: Insider Trading: Flames' uncertain Hanifin situation coming to a head

Ledge And Dairy

Greer is another nifty move by Conroy and, if healthy, could probably pull in a 3rd round pick.

Unfortunately it looks like he's still going to be injured on the 8th (TDL) so that's out of the question.

Maybe the Flames could sign him to a one year extension so they can flip him at the '25 deadline.
You can trade injured players. Again he's expected to be playing again just a week or 2 after the deadline

I couldn't disagree more with this. I've watched lots of Fraser Minten. He's a Ben Jones, not a Backlund. Cowan has a way higher ceiling than Minten.
That's fine if you disagree on one prospect over the other but my point about undersized left wingers still stands. We should have some but not much interest in Cowen simply due to him just being drafted, but little to no interest in Robertson at all.

Bond

May 10, 2012
We have our pick, which won’t be high, I don’t think.

It can all change of course but right now it id 14-16.
No, by points % the Flames pick is currently 9th and by standings it is 11th overall. Do you think the team will improve after moving Hanifin and Tanev?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
You can trade injured players. Again he's expected to be playing again just a week or 2 after the deadline

That's fine if you disagree on one prospect over the other but my point about undersized left wingers still stands. We should have some but not much interest in Cowen simply due to him just being drafted, but little to no interest in Robertson at all.
Pretty close to 2 PPG at 18? I'd have lots of interest in that. He's 5'11" 185 at 18. He's not undersized. He's the same size as Blake Coleman. Why no interest in Robertson? On the one hand you say you don't want players just drafted, then on the other no interest in a 22 year old.

Fraser Minten is going to be an average skating 4C if he hits his potential. I want guys who if they hit will have some value. Go for upside. Especially if we're just re-tooling and not tearing it down.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
No, by points % the Flames pick is currently 9th and by standings it is 11th overall. Do you think the team will improve after moving Hanifin and Tanev?

9 and 11 are better than 14-16 but we need a top 3 pick to land an elite centre.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I do think we need to look at 3-4 years from now. For me it means Markstrom is available. Coleman is available. Kadri (if we can) should be moved. Hanifin and Tanev take our toughest minutes. If they go it means Weegar and Andersson play them. We will definitely be worse. Those guys are better with high O zone starts and secondary top 6 forwards.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Surprised Orlov agreed to no trade protection.

I think its important to note that I don't think Calgary would view Orlov as a major asset given they can't give him a new contract, yet, and he is only signed for one more year. Similar to Kuz, where he is a nice tie breaker for the 1st++, but they still need the 1st++.
That would be likely the type of deal. Where Orlov is included, much like Kuzmenko was. If he turns it around, he’d be another asset next year, they’d get something for. Or resign him obviously.

Reactions: wintersej

Bond

May 10, 2012
I do think we need to look at 3-4 years from now. For me it means Markstrom is available. Coleman is available. Kadri (if we can) should be moved. Hanifin and Tanev take our toughest minutes. If they go it means Weegar and Andersson play them. We will definitely be worse. Those guys are better with high O zone starts and secondary top 6 forwards.
Yeah, Francis popped out a Markstrom is open minded to a move article. I think Coleman and Kadri are hard to move.

9 and 11 are better than 14-16 but we need a top 3 pick to land an elite centre.
I think they sink to a 5th to 7th overall. Cross your fingers for the lottery

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, Francis popped out a Markstrom is open minded to a move article. I think Coleman and Kadri are hard to move.

I think they sink to a 5th to 7th overall. Cross your fingers for the lottery

Kadri, maybe at full cap. But Coleman I think shouldn't be too hard.

I'm assuming we might be drafting 6th OA... again.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Kadri, maybe at full cap. But Coleman I think shouldn't be too hard.

I'm assuming we might be drafting 6th OA... again.
Better than 4th overall basis past results lol. Not sure if I buy it on Coleman but I am all for it if he can be moved.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Better than 4th overall basis past results lol. Not sure if I buy it on Coleman but I am all for it if he can be moved.

Coleman is useful now and a guy who can play up and down the lineup with his style while adding glue to the roster as needed. I'm not saying straight up someone grabs him for prospects and futures. I think Flames take a contract back along with mid level assets and then see if they can improve that player a la Kuzmenko or Sharangovich and also hope the other assets pan out?

Ledge And Dairy

Pretty close to 2 PPG at 18? I'd have lots of interest in that. He's 5'11" 185 at 18. He's not undersized. He's the same size as Blake Coleman. Why no interest in Robertson? On the one hand you say you don't want players just drafted, then on the other no interest in a 22 year old.

Fraser Minten is going to be an average skating 4C if he hits his potential. I want guys who if they hit will have some value. Go for upside. Especially if we're just re-tooling and not tearing it down.
Huh? I was saying because Cowen was just drafted we should have some interest in him. But because he's on the smaller side and another winger we shouldn't have him as a high priority.

Robertson is injury prone, small, and no longer waiver exempt after this season. We have Huberdeau, Kuzmenko, Mangiapane, Coleman, Sharangovich, Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, and Pospisil all looking for top 9 spots and probably on the wing. Zary or Yegor can probably shift to center so that opens up 1 spot but we don't want any of those guys playing 4th line roles. Where exactly does Robertson fit in? He's not a better player than any of our current NHL wingers, and he's not a clearly better prospect than any of the ones we want to promote for next season.

From my POV the proposal you accepted was a bad deal. I think Cowen is a fine prospect with a high floor but with a 2nd line ceiling. He's producing well in his D+1 year but is also on a stacked London Knights team. I think a 2024 1st is good too. I think Robertson has some value but not enough to justify trading both Tanev and Hanifin. Hell, I would probably still hesitate on trading just Hanifin for that package simply because of team needs. I would much sooner look at a deal around a defense prospect like Bichsel or Lohrei.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Huh? I was saying because Cowen was just drafted we should have some interest in him. But because he's on the smaller side and another winger we shouldn't have him as a high priority.

Robertson is injury prone, small, and no longer waiver exempt after this season. We have Huberdeau, Kuzmenko, Mangiapane, Coleman, Sharangovich, Zary, Pelletier, Coronato, and Pospisil all looking for top 9 spots and probably on the wing. Zary or Yegor can probably shift to center so that opens up 1 spot but we don't want any of those guys playing 4th line roles. Where exactly does Robertson fit in? He's not a better player than any of our current NHL wingers, and he's not a clearly better prospect than any of the ones we want to promote for next season.

From my POV the proposal you accepted was a bad deal. I think Cowen is a fine prospect with a high floor but with a 2nd line ceiling. He's producing well in his D+1 year but is also on a stacked London Knights team. I think a 2024 1st is good too. I think Robertson has some value but not enough to justify trading both Tanev and Hanifin. Hell, I would probably still hesitate on trading just Hanifin for that package simply because of team needs. I would much sooner look at a deal around a defense prospect like Bichsel or Lohrei.
Ah, I misunderstood you there. I have Cowen higher than both Lohrei or Bichsel. Although I do like Bischel. I'd have Bourque higher than Cowen and Stankoven highest (so glad we drafted Stromgren instead of him).

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
If Hanifin gives the green light, Carolina could be a sneaky team, and people shouldn’t be shocked to see Orlov as part of the deal.

It would all come down to his willingness to sign a deal with the Canes. If he’s willing, they’ll be in on him, and like Kuzmenko, it’ll give the Flames more options with deals down the road.

It also protects Carolina from Pesce leaving, and not becoming such a necessary resigning.
Carolina is always the front-runner for any available defenseman.

Ledge And Dairy

I wonder where Lindstrom goes? I've seen him as high as 2 and as low as 11.
I don't think we need a top 3 pick but it would certainly help.

If Lindstrom is gone by our pick (which I expect to be in the 6-9 range) I would be more than fine drafting Catton. I also hope we can trade up to get Tij with our later picks (assuming we get at least 1 more 1st this deadline, as well as a 2nd)

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think we need a top 3 pick but it would certainly help.

If Lindstrom is gone by our pick (which I expect to be in the 6-9 range) I would be more than fine drafting Catton. I also hope we can trade up to get Tij with our later picks (assuming we get at least 1 more 1st this deadline, as well as a 2nd)
Catton would be a good pick. Lots of work to do in his own end, but he brings some punch offensively and could potentially hold down the 2C spot in a few years.

I think Tij goes too high for one of our later picks, but that would be a nice pick if we can get him.

EDIT: With Tij playing mostly center this year if we do end up missing on Lindstrom he might be a good pick with our higher first. He's not as tough as daddy and doesn't have the same level of shot, but he's better in his own end. Depends if they project him as a C or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Flames have a lot of good parts. I don't know why you guys are possessed to do lengthy rebuild.

They have lot of good players coming
Because people are obsessed with getting the next McDavid/Matthews and have this false notion that you need someone of that calibre to win in this league.

Frankly we're not a great team this year, and we're staring at a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft. We are also positioned to be a little worse next year, and a handful of teams below us positioned to be a little better, which means a top 5 pick could be in the cards.

And you're right we have so e really nice looking pieces. Zary is putting up a 50+ point pace as a rookie. Pelletier hasn't had that kind of success yet but has only played 2 games this year and frankly he's been better than Zary at every level. Honzek and Coronato ooze potential.

On the blue line, If we can re-sign Hanifin, we'd have an excellent top 3 locked up, with some exciting pieces coming through the pipeline.

And we also have one of the top goaltending prospects in the world.

Add a top 10 and top 5 pick to that, another first rounder and we'd still have Tanev to move this season, and Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Mangiapane to move at next years deadline for additional picks to add to a short rebuild.

And that's ignoring Huberdeau who has been starting to look like his old self again, and Kadri who is having a really solid year.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Because people are obsessed with getting the next McDavid/Matthews and have this false notion that you need someone of that calibre to win in this league.

Frankly we're not a great team this year, and we're staring at a top 10 pick in the 2024 draft. We are also positioned to be a little worse next year, and a handful of teams below us positioned to be a little better, which means a top 5 pick could be in the cards.

And you're right we have so e really nice looking pieces. Zary is putting up a 50+ point pace as a rookie. Pelletier hasn't had that kind of success yet but has only played 2 games this year and frankly he's been better than Zary at every level. Honzek and Coronato ooze potential.

On the blue line, If we can re-sign Hanifin, we'd have an excellent top 3 locked up, with some exciting pieces coming through the pipeline.

And we also have one of the top goaltending prospects in the world.

Add a top 10 and top 5 pick to that, another first rounder and we'd still have Tanev to move this season, and Sharangovich, Kuzmenko and Mangiapane to move at next years deadline for additional picks to add to a short rebuild.

And that's ignoring Huberdeau who has been starting to look like his old self again, and Kadri who is having a really solid year.
When a Bedard or Matthews is available be several teams purposely tanking. Then have to win a lottery. Most high picks are another Bennett or Hanifin. Good players but not worth terrible season. Majority of rebuilds end up like Buffalo, Colombus or Arizona.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Flames have a lot of good parts. I don't know why you guys are possessed to do lengthy rebuild.

They have lot of good players coming

Not elite players, even with the good players that the Flames, they can’t compete against the top teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad