TSN: Insider Trading: Flames' uncertain Hanifin situation coming to a head

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Imagine if Calgary had actually rebuilt instead of a failed retool.

Calgary's current situation has nothing to do with their decision to compete when Gaudreau started looking good. They had the personal, it's what happened after that was the problem.

The lineup right now could be:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Bennett-Zary
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Injuries to Monahan, Covid, mismanagement of contracts/players, and players demanding out of Canada/away from D. Sutter are what killed them.

Calgary is definitely on the right track now though. Seems like every move Conroy has made is excellent asset management.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Calgary's current situation has nothing to do with their decision to compete when Gaudreau started looking good. They had the personal, it's what happened after that was the problem.

The lineup right now could be:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Lindholm
Tkachuk-Bennett-Zary
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman

Injuries to Monahan, Covid, mismanagement of contracts/players, and players demanding out of Canada/away from D. Sutter are what killed them.

Calgary is definitely on the right track now though. Seems like every move Conroy has made is excellent asset management.

The point is more after all the mismanagement and dumbass ideas the rebuild should have started with Huberdeau and Weegar getting flipped. Would have been a haul.

Hell even keep Weegar, flipping Huberdeau is the single biggest issue. Getting that haul plus 10 million in cap space would have been fantastic.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The point is more after all the mismanagement and dumbass ideas the rebuild should have started with Huberdeau and Weegar getting flipped. Would have been a haul.

Hell even keep Weegar, flipping Huberdeau is the single biggest issue. Getting that haul plus 10 million in cap space would have been fantastic.

Fair enough. I think Weegar will be part of the Flames future for a long time going forward. If he's not, I'd say his value is better signed, with his contract. The Flame definitely lose out on a late first from the Monahan move. Huberdeau, would have brought back another late 1st plus prospect. Also, keep in mind the trade market last year, was not what it is this year. The haul Calgary got for Lindholm doesn't happen a year ago.

Quite frankly, the Flames already have a bunch of late to mid first line talent in the system, and will have even more with the moves they are making. The only mulligan that really puts the Flames ahead in a rebuild is moving Tkachuk for a high end prospect. If there was an offer for a prospect of the level of say Byfield that puts the Flames ahead of where they are now. I don't know if anything like that was even on the table. The other teams had the Flames fairly bent over with Gaudreau and Tkachuk both demanding out.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
basing a contract off of one game is a terrible way to run things
Kyle Dubas shaking his head in disagreement with you.

My guess.

Hanafin will fetch a late 1st + B+ prospect + 3rd rounder.

B+ prospect in the same tier of player as Hunter Brzustewicz.

I'd like to see Philly get him and use the Florida 2024 1st as the base. Add a solid prospect and 3rd. Sign him long term. Would be a nice piece of business using the Giroux pick (and having Tippett).

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Last night was the best Calgary has looked in two years. Come on Hanifin, just sign.
Or allow a trade and make the team even better.

Seems like every move Conroy has made is excellent asset management.
Very true with one exception: Losing two guys on waivers was a slight miss but there must not have been a market for them and it did free up two spaces for waivers claims, trades, etc.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Kyle Dubas shaking his head in disagreement with you.

My guess.

Hanafin will fetch a late 1st + B+ prospect + 3rd rounder.

B+ prospect in the same tier of player as Hunter Brzustewicz.

I'd like to see Philly get him and use the Florida 2024 1st as the base. Add a solid prospect and 3rd. Sign him long term. Would be a nice piece of business using the Giroux pick (and having Tippett).

Don’t really agree that Philly should be trying to fast track their rebuild this early but what prospect from them would you have in mind in this type of deal

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Or allow a trade and make the team even better.

Losing two guys on waivers was a slight miss but there must not have been a market for them and it did free up two spaces for waivers claims, trades, etc.

just an 8 team no trade list. Any American contender wouldn't be on that list anyway.

DeSimone is meaningless, I'd prefer Pachal anyway.

I don't even know what to say about Ruzicka. Guy just didn't do anything

Reactions: Mike Jones

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I don’t think the Bruins have the assets to get a deal done for him this year but he would look great on a pair with McAvoy for his hometown team.

Reactions: The don godfather

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
just an 8 team no trade list. Any American contender wouldn't be on that list anyway.

DeSimone is meaningless, I'd prefer Pachal anyway.

I don't even know what to say about Ruzicka. Guy just didn't do anything
Flames losing Ruzicka is the same I felt about LA losing Fagemo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad