TSN: Insider Trading: Flames' uncertain Hanifin situation coming to a head

Strangle

May 4, 2009
When a Bedard or Matthews is available be several teams purposely tanking. Then have to win a lottery. Most high picks are another Bennett or Hanifin. Good players but not worth terrible season. Majority of rebuilds end up like Buffalo, Colombus or Arizona.

I remember when people on hfboards were convinced Matthews wasn’t that special and Laine would be better. So confident these posters are, it’s hilarious

Post in thread 'Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential'
Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential

As a Leaf fan, I can’t help but think the flames have much of exactly what the leafs need.

Hanifin, tanev, markstrom, kadri

All 4 would help improve the leafs. How do we make it happen?

thrillhous

Jan 5, 2006
He’s American, so if any American teams are going to offer at least $7M per in FA (obviously) then he would want at least $8M+ to continue playing in Canada. This is so very predictable.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I remember when people on hfboards were convinced Matthews wasn’t that special and Laine would be better. So confident these posters are, it’s hilarious

Post in thread 'Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential'
Laine v Matthews. Ceiling/Potential

As a Leaf fan, I can’t help but think the flames have much of exactly what the leafs need.

Hanifin, tanev, markstrom, kadri

All 4 would help improve the leafs. How do we make it happen?
Step one: Free up $22.5M in salary.
Step two: ???
Step three: Profit

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Lindholm is two years older and forwards fall apart earlier. Way riskier signing Lindholm for 8 years then Hanifin.
Concern isn't the length, it's tying up 8M on the Flames 3rd best defenseman. And once the Flames get someone who can actually quarterback the powerplay, that might go down to fourth.

Ya, I get all that. I'm a fan of him, but I expected more. Maybe that was unrealistic, but let's remember that Hanifin went 5OA in a draft where McDavid, Eichel, and Marner were picked ahead of him. A lot should be expected of him.

With all this Mittlestadt chatter and the Sabres apparently scouting the Flames on their east coast road trip, it wouldn't surprise me if those two are principals being discussed in trade talks. He'd be an excellent add to our top-4, left shot notwithstanding.

That major breakthrough never happened because Hanifin can't quarterback a powerplay. It's also why he's not worth 7M+.

Serious question; why on earth would the Sabres trade Mittestadt? Are they trying to be bad forever? He's finally breaking out and now they try to trade him?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
so just do it already, whatever it is you're gonna do

giphy.webp

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
The thing with defensemen is you only had 32 of them scoring 10 goals or more last season. Of those 32, Hanifin is better defensively than all but 3 (Pietrangelo, Skjei, Spurgeon) of them. Scoring 10 goals as a defenseman is not a super common thing. He's 12th in goals this season and 10th in even strength goals.
The stat watchers hate players like Hanifin, McDonagh, Pietrangelo, etc. Frankly because they can’t process a player can be a great player without being a huge point producer.. They don’t understand the intricacies of the game, and judge everything on stats. It’s why many of the stat watchers can’t understand why hockey people are so high on Mo Seider. He’s gonna be an absolute monster by the time he’s 25.

I’ll take those type of dmen everyday of the week, and so would managers and coaches.

They still carry a pairing and drive play, but are great in their own end. They don’t go searching for points, taking chances. Their points come very naturally, because they’re so involved in the game. It’s why Hanifin’s gonna be a difference maker with whatever team he goes to, while Calgary’s gonna experience a lot more ping pong being played in their own end.

These type of dmen don’t grow on trees, and are the most underrated players in the league by many fans.. They are difference makers. Their 40-50 points a year are all bonus, on top of everything else they do.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Concern isn't the length, it's tying up 8M on the Flames 3rd best defenseman. And once the Flames get someone who can actually quarterback the powerplay, that might go down to fourth.

That major breakthrough never happened because Hanifin can't quarterback a powerplay. It's also why he's not worth 7M+.

Serious question; why on earth would the Sabres trade Mittestadt? Are they trying to be bad forever? He's finally breaking out and now they try to trade him?
Thanks.

I'd extend Mitts. He's been the team's MVP and most versatile forward this season. After many setbacks and injuries, he's the player we hoped for.

If the rumors about trading him are true, this is my guess about Adams' thinking:

- Casey's value has never been higher, a true sell-high moment
- Tage and Cozens have the 1C, 2C spots nailed down, and a 3C is *relatively* easy to find or develop
- Ostlund and Savoie are a year or two away from being tried at that 3C spot (Savoie will shift to wing in the NHL imho)
- Kulich is being played at center in Rochester as well

In summary, sell high on Mitts, with lots of potential in the organization to fill the hole left with him leaving.

If they're targeting Hanifin, my guess is:

- finish the more difficult task of fully stocking the defense corps
- Dahlin, Power, Hanifin, Samuelsson, R Johnson, Clifton, Jokiharju would be a young, capable unit with significant upside (an assessment I fully agree with)

If Mitts is traded, Adams better get a stellar return. Pretty much the whole fanbase has fallen in love with Casey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad