Post-Game Talk: <insert whiny comment about officiating>

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Doesn't matter if he bulks up. He is big enough already. He needs to be willing to use that size and so far he hasn't figured that out. Bulking up would just make him an even larger softie.

Yeah, he's not willing at all to go in and take the body. Maybe some of it is that he's too position minded and doesn't want to blow his coverage coming back, we saw a similar problem with Filppula who wouldn't engage at all offensively while at center, but was capable of getting in on the play more and putting up better numbers on the wing. Maybe moving Sheahan to wing would encourage him to take that extra step and take the body, knowing he doesn't have to worry so much about his defensive coverage. I doubt it, but maybe.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Doesn't matter if he bulks up. He is big enough already. He needs to be willing to use that size and so far he hasn't figured that out. Bulking up would just make him an even larger softie.

hah when I read big softie, I just remembered this clip

Laser Rayzor

Cautiously Optimistic
Dec 8, 2012
The Underground
Seriously? That line is what led us to the playoffs that year that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were injured... Yeah maybe they should try something new but it's pretty clear why they try it.

Yes I definitely over stated that line's lack of success however your example is only like a 10ish game sample size (in the games missed by Z and D Goose split time with Tats/Sheahan and Mule/Legwand) where Nyquist was in god mode and whatever line he was on was producing. If I'm giving credit to who got them into the playoffs that year it goes to Nyquist and not the T-S-N line.

I don't feel like looking up the stats but IMO Nyquist and Tatar don't really work together that well at ES, they did stink it up pretty good to start this season off.

Last edited:

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
That's a lot to ask of this board

Seriously? That line is what led us to the playoffs that year that Datsyuk and Zetterberg were injured... Yeah maybe they should try something new but it's pretty clear why they try it.

It was actually Tatar, Sheahan, Jurco and Nyquist on another line. Anytime they tried Nyquist there instead of Jurco it didn't seem to click the same.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Let's my preface this by saying I'm not one of those weird Blashill haters who is calling for his head after 5 games, but I will say I'd have liked to see him shuffle the lines a little after nothing was happening.

I think his current setup right now is tough because you essentially only have 2 scoring lines and one of those is extremely young with no size on the wings.

Glendening/Helm/Sheahan is an energy, defensive line with no chemistry right now and the 4th line is literally just scraps that's not a threat offensively while also not being good enough to be trusted with tough assignments.

Go back to:
Abby-Z-Larkin
Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar
Jurco-Helm-Pulk
Miller-Glendening-Andersson/Ferraro

That a boy Blash.

To the poster who said they don't like Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar, I thought the game they had together against Edmonton was very promising. They were in the ozone all night long. I questioned whether Nyquist and Tatar were good linemates recently as well, but I'm willing to take that chance rather than have Pulks on your 2nd scoring line.

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
What about trying

Larkin - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

I feel that this lineup would improve the forecheck. Spreads out Nyquist, Tatar, and Pulkkinen and puts them with more simple, straightforward guys that are less prone to turn the puck over. Tatar and Pulkkinen especially have been killing our offensive zone time constantly turning the puck over.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
What about trying

Larkin - Zetterberg - Nyquist
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Pulkkinen
Miller - Glendening - Ferraro

I feel that this lineup would improve the forecheck. Spreads out Nyquist, Tatar, and Pulkkinen and puts them with more simple, straightforward guys that are less prone to turn the puck over. Tatar and Pulkkinen especially have been killing our offensive zone time constantly turning the puck over.

That line had good chemistry in 13-14 when the Wings were riddled with injuries. Wouldn't mind that experiment.

Also, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen Larkin and Nyquist together yet. Would be interesting to see if they have some chemistry.

Actual Thought*

That line had good chemistry in 13-14 when the Wings were riddled with injuries. Wouldn't mind that experiment.

Also, I'm pretty sure we haven't seen Larkin and Nyquist together yet. Would be interesting to see if they have some chemistry.

In recent comments about the "long term project" that is Jurco Blashill seemed to indicate conditioning was a problem with him. Apparently he never learned to be an every day NHL player which is why he has never lived up to his touted potential. I don't see this changing as this season progresses. I doubt Blashill can teach him work ethic if he hasn't learned it already.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
In recent comments about the "long term project" that is Jurco Blashill seemed to indicate conditioning was a problem with him. Apparently he never learned to be an every day NHL player which is why he has never lived up to his touted potential. I don't see this changing as this season progresses. I doubt Blashill can teach him work ethic if he hasn't learned it already.

Yeah? Didn't hear those comments. I had the impression that the problem with Jurco was questionable hockey IQ, not conditioning. You might be right though -- maybe it is a work ethic thing. If that is indeed the case, I guess the likelihood of him moving into the top 6 is slim. That said, he could be the laziest guy on the face of the planet, and I'd still rather have him in the top 9 than Glendenning.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
No matter the line combinations right now I think we lack various elements without Datsyuk, Richards and even Franzen. We lack players that have patience with the puck and can slow things down, shield the puck. Probably couldn't have picked a worse forward trio to be out for line chemistry's sake except for a Zetterberg injury. It just messes up the combos, not to mention leadership.

At least I think they're doing the right thing in putting Glenny back at 4C in a full checking role. Helm-Jurco combo have some to prove.

Actual Thought*

Yeah? Didn't hear those comments. I had the impression that the problem with Jurco was questionable hockey IQ, not conditioning. You might be right though -- maybe it is a work ethic thing. If that is indeed the case, I guess the likelihood of him moving into the top 6 is slim. That said, he could be the laziest guy on the face of the planet, and I'd still rather have him in the top 9 than Glendenning.

"It is ultimately being in elite shape so he can skate nonstop in a game," Blashill said. "He is somebody who is going to be an effective player when he is able to go full-out at all times. That is what we have tried to work on with him.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...red-wings-tomas-jurco-jeff-blashill/74725682/

Here is the link. The above quote seems to imply that he isn't conditioned enough to be effective.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
"It is ultimately being in elite shape so he can skate nonstop in a game," Blashill said. "He is somebody who is going to be an effective player when he is able to go full-out at all times. That is what we have tried to work on with him.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...red-wings-tomas-jurco-jeff-blashill/74725682/

Here is the link. The above quote seems to imply that he isn't conditioned enough to be effective.

That's bizarre, I thought that's what he said he worked on this summer rather than just bulking up.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015

Having seen that now I'd say you're right -- certainly sounds like there's issues with his conditioning.

TheRatPoisoner

Feb 23, 2015
Could explain why Babs dealt with him the way he did. Also could be why he has back issues at his age.

Dunno why Babs would insist on having him on the team if his conditioning were an issue though. (I was under the impression that they figure out who's in shape and who's not during like the first week of camp). Maybe he just didn't have a good summer or something?

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I'm pretty sure Blash has always had slow starts

He went 16/13 last year, in Oct/Nov/Dec

and from there on (not including playoffs) he went 30/15

The year before his win loss record in october was at 500.. 5 and 4

And then the year before: I think his first year, He started out 2 and 5 and then dominated.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad