Post-Game Talk: Insane 5-4 SO win for the Oilers. Fasth > Scrivens

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Lol,

Marincin being better than Klefbom is one of my go to posts but only when others bring up how good Klefbom is playing.

Break out the Klefbom highlights and you will be vastly disappointed. This guy is not on anyone's radar but Oilers fans right now.

I just dislike how much hype he gets for basically not sucking. Typical Oilers fans drooling over a mediocre performance just cause he was once a highly touted prospect.

Anyone with eyes knows Marincin was better in the early goings of this year and of course was lights out last year. I suppose I shouldn't dwell on the past but not playing Marincin this year just seems stupid beyond all reason.

I like Klefbom and think he will be a solid NHLer for this club but people are just going overboard with their praise.

Welcome to the Oilers board.

I think it's because most of us know how important a defencemen is that doesn't allow goals when he is on the ice. Eric Brewer and Jason Smith were great for us and weren't known for any offence.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
Lander is looking better but is still a ways from being able to help this team make a playoff spot as a bottom 6 center. Still young tho, I hope he takes a much bigger step next year.

Klefbom love is over blown. He is doing ok but by no means has he shown anything this year that would make me think he will be dominate in this league. I hope he also takes a big step next year or 2 but won't hold my breath. He may end up being the next guy who always gets to play over his head and is eventually run out of town.

After Nurses WJC I have genuine hope he will eventually become a top pairing type. That was impressive. Years away I would guess but most certainly has the drive and a lot of the skill sets.

Marincin was better last year than Klefbom has been this year. Its not even close. From what I hear he is dominating the AHL defensively but it worries me that he has not found his offense in the AHL yet. He was billed as an offensive defenseman from his Junior career and as a prospect so I still have hope that he develops into something more as well.

I just can't wait until I can finally say the Oilers have a real true top pairing type duo. I really don't care who it ends up being as long as it doesn't take more then 2-3 years for it to happen.

Davidson is the #1 shutdown guy for the Barons this year, not Marincin. In every Barons game I have watched this year, Davidson has been great, Marincin has struggled for some reason.

I would have to disagree on the Klefbom/Marincin comparison, I don't see Marincin ever being as good as Klefbom on both sides of the puck. Who knows how good either will eventually be, but I don't see one thing that Marincin is better at presently.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Lol,

Marincin being better than Klefbom is one of my go to posts but only when others bring up how good Klefbom is playing.

Break out the Klefbom highlights and you will be vastly disappointed. This guy is not on anyone's radar but Oilers fans right now.

I just dislike how much hype he gets for basically not sucking. Typical Oilers fans drooling over a mediocre performance just cause he was once a highly touted prospect.

Anyone with eyes knows Marincin was better in the early goings of this year and of course was lights out last year. I suppose I shouldn't dwell on the past but not playing Marincin this year just seems stupid beyond all reason.

I like Klefbom and think he will be a solid NHLer for this club but people are just going overboard with their praise.

Hahaha whatever turns your crank, friend.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The Flames haven't won a single thing yet. I'm not saying it won't happen for them, but until they actually accomplish something I wouldn't be patting them on the back. Maybe they are for real. Maybe they are the Leafs. If you remember what the Leafs were a couple season's back, there was a ton of optimism around the squad and they were winning a lot more than the Flames. Both were built with the same basic principles and pieces.
I don't get this line of thinking with the Flames. Who cares what happens with them next season? So what if they struggle. They are giving there fans an entertaining year this year. I'd be thrilled if the Oilers could give us a season like that. Instead, we just get garbage year after year after year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Davidson is the #1 shutdown guy for the Barons this year, not Marincin. In every Barons game I have watched this year, Davidson has been great, Marincin has struggled for some reason.

I would have to disagree on the Klefbom/Marincin comparison, I don't see Marincin ever being as good as Klefbom on both sides of the puck. Who knows how good either will eventually be, but I don't see one thing that Marincin is better at presently.

Very curious how many AHL games you have actually watched?

I only watched the AHL during the lockout but follow the box scores/highlights. I know Marincin has an A and the Barons record went through the roof once Marincin joined them full time. Heard great stuff from Nelson at the start of the year about how he shouldn't be in AHL period and didn't expect to see him come back down after his last call up, ever again.

The AHL report on the Oilers web site a few weeks back said he was doing well... But since I don't watch the games I don't know how he is really doing right now.

Klefbom is doing well but to say you don't see Marincin ever doing as well as Klefbom on both sides of the puck is strange to say the least. Marincin was facing Getz, Kopitar, Ovie, Stamkos during his stints and dominating them where as Klefbom has been sheltered most the year and victimised, as expected as a rookie, here and there.

Klefbom as seen in the NHL is marginally better offensively and clearly inferior defensively. So far.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Welcome to the Oilers board.

I think it's because most of us know how important a defencemen is that doesn't allow goals when he is on the ice. Eric Brewer and Jason Smith were great for us and weren't known for any offence.

Isn't the whole point of a defenceman to not allow the other team to score. Most teams have 4 of those types with 1-2 more offensive defenceman. Klefbom is a rookie and he's looking like a veteran on most nights. There's good reason to be excited.

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Isn't the whole point of a defenceman to not allow the other team to score. Most teams have 4 of those types with 1-2 more offensive defenceman. Klefbom is a rookie and he's looking like a veteran on most nights. There's good reason to be excited.
Yeah that's what I'm saying. Love the Klefbom even though he is "invisible." If we had 5 more invisible guys like him that could pass like him.. I would pee

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I don't get this line of thinking with the Flames. Who cares what happens with them next season? So what if they struggle. They are giving there fans an entertaining year this year. I'd be thrilled if the Oilers could give us a season like that. Instead, we just get garbage year after year after year.

We we were talking about rebuilds, not really how the fans are feeling at this particular moment. Imo, rebuilds should be judged by their final product and not just a stretch of wins, and my point was that teams like the Avs and Leafs show that trends of winning stretches can last a whole season.

I completely agree with your sentiment of Flames vs Oilers. We're feeling pretty good now with the wins we have under Nelson, but Flames fans have got to be feeling even better since they have a realistic shot at the playoffs.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.

I only watched the AHL during the lockout but follow the box scores/highlights. I know Marincin has an A and the Barons record went through the roof once Marincin joined them full time. Heard great stuff from Nelson at the start of the year about how he shouldn't be in AHL period and didn't expect to see him come back down after his last call up, ever again.

The AHL report on the Oilers web site a few weeks back said he was doing well... But since I don't watch the games I don't know how he is really doing right now.

Klefbom is doing well but to say you don't see Marincin ever doing as well as Klefbom on both sides of the puck is strange to say the least. Marincin was facing Getz, Kopitar, Ovie, Stamkos during his stints and dominating them where as Klefbom has been sheltered most the year and victimised, as expected as a rookie, here and there.

Klefbom as seen in the NHL is marginally better offensively and clearly inferior defensively. So far.

I have watched 6 from my 10 game package, 5 since Marincin has been sent back down, I hope the last 4 I chose are good ones:)

Its not like he is terrible, but he has not stood out at all. I also noticed Simpson looking very good along with Davidson being a stand out. That little Osterle dude actually plays pretty good as well very mobile, Musil and Gernat are not making the NHL. The story at the beginning of the season was Marincin put on 8 lbs and wasn't use to the weight, he himself stated this as a reason for poor play, so maybe next year is better for him if we resign him which I think we should.

I think that may be an exaggeration claiming Marincin "dominated" the players you mentioned, I liked his play too, but he wasn't dominating in any game I have seen him in at the NHL level. Shea Weber, Mark Giordano dominate games, Marty Marincin plays in them.

As far as comparing Klefbom and Marincin, I think Klefbom is better at most everything, but we all can have different opinions. Cheers.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you want to mark whether or not the Flames' performance is successful relative to the Oilers place in the standings, then fine, the Flames are successful. But then so are 28 other teams.

I'm just not sure how you can call them a successful rebuild at this point. No one is saying that Columbus or Colorado has successfully rebuilt their team (even though they are better than the Oilers), and likewise no one should (seriously) jump the gun by claiming that Calgary has successfully rebuilt their team. If they make the playoffs this year and next year, then we can talk about how successful they've been, because then we would at least have a model of consistency to base our argument.

You are the one framing this as the Flames having already rebuilt their team.

I am suggesting to you that the Flames are not done but that they have a built a foundation for success.

The Oilers have had 4 extra years to work with (so far) and have built nothing but a foundation for failure.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I have watched 6 from my 10 game package, 5 since Marincin has been sent back down, I hope the last 4 I chose are good ones:)

Its not like he is terrible, but he has not stood out at all. I also noticed Simpson looking very good along with Davidson being a stand out. That little Osterle dude actually plays pretty good as well very mobile, Musil and Gernat are not making the NHL. The story at the beginning of the season was Marincin put on 8 lbs and wasn't use to the weight, he himself stated this as a reason for poor play, so maybe next year is better for him if we resign him which I think we should.

I think that may be an exaggeration claiming Marincin "dominated" the players you mentioned, I liked his play too, but he wasn't dominating in any game I have seen him in at the NHL level. Shea Weber, Mark Giordano dominate games, Marty Marincin plays in them.

As far as comparing Klefbom and Marincin, I think Klefbom is better at most everything, but we all can have different opinions. Cheers.

Well, obviously he wasn't racking up points against them but he was severely limiting those players shooting and scoring chances. This isn't stuff I am just making up, Marincin was widely lauded for his play against extremely difficult opposition and then made the Olympic team and steadily climbed the minutes played ladder in the Olympics as well.

He had an outstanding year and looked very good in his NHL time at the beginning of the season as well... Mac T/Eakins had to do some quick talking to explain why Marcincin was sent down and really didn't offer any logical explanation.

Personal opinion.

Offensive IQ: Klef is slightly better but neither are doing well yet.
Skating: Slight edge to Marincin as he always manages to get into position and was the second fastest player on the team last year behind only Hall.
Stickwork: Marincin by a landslide.
Positioning Defensive IQ: Marincin by a landslide.
Boardwork: Klefbom better than Marincin. This is the only area I actually prefer Klefbom but only somewhat, as Marincin uses his stick well enough that his being less physical doesn't seem hurt him much.

Neither fight or stick up for their teammates much.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
The Flames have decent goaltending, not great. I pointed to the Leafs there, who arguably have a better goalie in Bernier. Hiller hasn't outplayed their other guy.

I never said the Flames had great goaltending...I used the word 'good'.

Really though...this comparison is between the Oilers and the Flames.

As for their D, aside from Giordano it's average. They are in a playoff spot based on their GF, not GA, which again is like the Leafs. The only reason they have a rep as good D is because their one elite player is a D. I would love to see how their amazing D system and philosophies would hold up if Gio were injured, because if it would be like last year when Gio was injured we're talking about a total implosion.

If the Flames have an average D then the Oilers D (by comparison) has to be the worst in the NHL. The Flames have 3 dmen better than anything the Oilers have.

Ultimately, we can't know before it happens. I'm just presenting a possiblity, and I'm doing so because a lot of people seem to think that the Flames' success is virtually guaranteed to be permanent.

And I just chose the Leafs as an example. There are many other examples of flash in the pan teams, and the one thing held in common is that while they are winning the popular opinion is that the team is for real and has created a great foundation. Every time. There are other times where they do sustain it. We can't know.

Again you are forming a strawman argument here.

I never said the Flames were guaranteed success. My point is that they have given themselves a much better chance at success than the Oilers have.

I have compared 4 aspects of each team....Goaltending, Defence, Forwards and drafting.

In every area the Flames have significantly outperformed the Oilers.

How can you possibly deny that?

In less than 2 years the Flames organization has built a good enough foundation to compete for a playoff spot.

The Oilers are 6 years in into their rebuild and they are STILL competing for the #1 overall draft pick.

One of these things is not like the other.

Last edited:

McGlassbangers

Jul 13, 2009
McFinland

Nah. Unless Pronman is some kind of closet Oilers fan.

Corey Pronman @coreypronman · 13 t 13 tuntia sitten
Very impressive. Great defensively. ++ skater, physicality. Light in the darkness. RT @sportsnut_93: Thoughts on Klefbom @coreypronman ?

Gambl0r83*

That is true. But would it have made a difference? Who knows. We know EDM can't hold leads.

I don't know about that one. Schultz still makes some very glaring mistakes pretty much on a nightly basis from what I've seen. He has been better at picking when to jump into the play though and get chances.

We won our first game against the west on the road this year
Big time character win

You must be a flames fan
Ew

AJGass4

Aug 19, 2011
We actually only have 8 more regulation losses than the Flames.

We have been coached by a moron for most of the games this season. I would have liked to seen our record if we hadn't been Eakinized over 1.5 seasons.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

A lot has happened since the lockout. Marincin is having struggles this year, if he wasn't he'd be up here right now. Not saying he's a boat anchor or anything, but he isn't the same player he was last year.

They have him in the AHL working on a few things and at this point there is no reason for him to be in the NHL. He didn't look that great this year and has things to work on, so do it in the AHL.

Klefbom is doing well in the NHL, he has Justin Schultz playing well right now too. No need for both up right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad