Injury Report: Injury Update Jan. 18 (Mod Warning #45)

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Doesn't the player count against the cap at the beginning of the season, though? I thought I remembered something about how Philly had to get cap compliant before they could put Pronger on LTIR at the start of the season.

If that's the case it doesn't give you as much flexibility to make moves in the offseason because the $4M would still count against the cap right up until the season's start when he could be put on LTIR.

Yeah, you have to put him on LTIR the first day of the season. I'm not sure exactly how they work that timeline, because you're also supposed to be cap compliant by the first day. There would probably be some paper moves you have to go through every year, just to keep Bettman off your back, but nothing serious. And in the offaseason you be 10% over the cap without penalty.

Where Franzen would give us wiggle room is making in-season moves. He'd be a built in $4m buffer. I don't think we come that close to the cap, though. Maybe next season, if we splurge big on someone like Vanek and/or Markov, but we're going to have so many kids stepping in over the next few years.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
The Wheel Deal ‏@Bill_Roose 1h
Coach Bill Peters is working out four #RedWings on the ice here at JLA: Zetterberg, Weiss, Emmerton and Kindl. No sign of Datsyuk, Franzen.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
53 games played.

Datsyuk has played 35 games
Zetterberg has played 40 games
Franzen has played 31 games

Z, Datsyuk and Franzen will most likely end the season with 50-55 games played.

This is the worst case scenario. We are very fortunate that this was the year the Wings got realigned into the EC. Otherwise the Wings would have already booked their vacation's to start on April 14th.

If Nyquist had started the season with the Wings, he probably would have helped the Wings get at least 2-3 more points.

Will you think less of Datsyuk if he doesn't play another game before the Olympic break, but looks perfectly fine during his first game with Russia?

Yes I would and in fact I would champion the cause to trade him for young talent. :naughty:

Aug 6, 2012
If Franzen can't play in the Olympics I'm pretty sure Nyquist will get the call from Sweden. He's their first reserve if I remember correctly.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
If Franzen can't play in the Olympics I'm pretty sure Nyquist will get the call from Sweden. He's their first reserve if I remember correctly.
Nyquist and M Johansson are first reserves, but Hornqvist has been talked about as Franzen's replacement as he's more of a similar player type. I'd love to see Gus on the team though, think it could be a great learning experience. Looking like a longshot that Mule makes it.

Also what the hell is going on with Dats? He's almost been out a month and we've heard almost nothing.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Anyone else not feeling good about this Datsyuk situation?

"Skating on one leg" is not what you want to hear after nearly a month, especially for a "day-to-day" injury. It doesn't even sound like he's that close either, as I can't remember him taking part of a full practice anytime lately.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Anyone else not feeling good about this Datsyuk situation?

"Skating on one leg" is not what you want to hear after nearly a month, especially for a "day-to-day" injury. It doesn't even sound like he's that close either, as I can't remember him taking part of a full practice anytime lately.

I don't even think he has a leg injury so.... Would not be the first time teams have lied about injuries, sorry I just don't think his head is right still either.

Amrcn Ftbll

Quincey 4 prez 2k16
Jan 22, 2014
ypsi
They did say lower body injury but they didn't specify what. Hopefully he's back soon, games aren't nearly as fun to watch without him.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I don't even think he has a leg injury so.... Would not be the first time teams have lied about injuries, sorry I just don't think his head is right still either.

I don't know. I kind of feel like a head injury isn't something they'd lie about or try to hide. I think they'd actually want it out there just for the league to see what an elbow can do and that it's ridiculous that it didn't get punished.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Day-to-day-lower-body-groin-ankle-sprain-knee-leg? :)

I think Russian National team is more worried than us about this...

Last edited:

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'd like hear what does Tomas Tatar do in his training. If I'm right, he has never missed a single game because of an injury since he came to North America. Has played all possible AHL-games and played during the lockout etc. Has been all the time healthy in NHL. Has missed NHL games being healthy scratch for 9 games.

That's pretty impressive, no injuries for 4½ seasons.

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Day-to-day-lower-body-groin-ankle-sprain-knee-leg? :)

I think Russian National team is more worried than us about this...

is it selfish of me to want him to be injured enough that he can't play in the olympics...but still be fully healthy when theyre over?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I'd like hear what does Tomas Tatar do in his training. If I'm right, he has never missed a single game because of an injury since he came to North America. Has played all possible AHL-games and played during the lockout etc. Has been all the time healthy in NHL. Has missed NHL games being healthy scratch for 9 games.

And yet, some people question his endurance for the reasoning behind not getting more TOI.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

that's kind of rare. would be nice if it stayed that way.

genetics play a role, though.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
is it selfish of me to want him to be injured enough that he can't play in the olympics...but still be fully healthy when theyre over?

Considering the Olympics are in Russia and he was named team captain, his leg would have fall off for him not to play.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden

I will blame you directly if he is injured in the near future.

That's nice though. Like mentioned genetics play a big role, as does luck. But he's also great at keeping his head up and protecting himself.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I will blame you directly if he is injured in the near future.

Haha, yeah. :) jinx jinx.

I hope datsyuk has to sit out in the Olympics, rests during it and comes back ready to go tonight.

I'm pretty sure than even if he isn't 100% healthy, he doesn't skip this once-in-a-lifetime Olympics in his home country. He has earned every rights to be there.

We as Red Wings fans and Red Wings as an organization owe this chance for Pavel and we should be cheering with 100% support for him to have success. We have enjoyed maybe the greatest Russian moments in NHL history, and Pavel is the final product of those Glory Russian 5 days. I have loved these guys from that Great Hockey country and I really can't think that selfishly about this phenomenal player.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad