Injury Report: Injury Thread II (Pulock to IR; Wright Recalled)

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
For those saying no to Barzal if we are really pressed by injuries, remember Quine went from the AHL to the top line overnight. I tend to agree it would be more likely to end poorly, but it isn't impossible.

I take it MDC is still on the slow path to success.

Veteran journeyman

May 12, 2007
As we saw from the Panthers series (and the craps series) special teams make the difference in the playoffs. If Pulock is 100% we need him in there for the PP. If teams don't cover him he'll blow the puck by everyone, and if they do cover him it leaves space for JT. Zidlicky doesn't do that. I wouldn't mind him on wing though; RP would make a great power forward.

Yep, said what I was going to. The power play has a completely different look with Pulock out there. It opens up more room for JT. I thought the same when Boychuk was on the PP as well. I'm not sure why they keep going back to Leddy/Nielsen on the points. Really like both players, but neither scares anyone from the point.

Basically, you have to weigh the perhaps marginal benefits for Zid over Pulock 5v5 (and let's face it, we're only saying that based on Zid's last two games...) against the difference Pulock makes on the power play giving them a legit threat from the point.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm not taking issue with your would be choice to pick a blue chip prospect over a 'goon.' Rather, I take issue with your confidence of their adjustment and your sentiment that you 'aren't worried at all about depth' because we can bring up those prospects. I also disagree with the bolded. Physically, I do agree that speed is what is hardest to adjust to but I would think the mental adjustment of transitioning into the NHL, especially the pressure of the playoffs is what would be most difficult. Hence the term 'rookie mistakes.' I almost always see that term applied to instances of lapsed judgement under pressure, over-confidence, under-confidence etc. and not simply being physically outmatched.

Elite skating allows you to make up for those rookie mistakes. Quine never played an NHL game, Prince barely played, Mayfield barely played last year, Pulock barely played this year. None of those guys are liabilities out there and they don't even have the raw talent or hockey sense that Barzal and JHS bring.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
For those saying no to Barzal if we are really pressed by injuries, remember Quine went from the AHL to the top line overnight. I tend to agree it would be more likely to end poorly, but it isn't impossible.

If you are referring to his play in Bridgeport, I wouldn't read too far into it. That team has zero talent at the moment(up front, at least), and if this year has taught us anything it is that Dal Colle needs a quality offensive center to maximize his game.

At the end of the day, this was a solid year for Dal Colle, and if it came down to it I wouldn't be against inserting him into the lineup if a couple of bodies go down.

Frankie41987

Feb 1, 2007
Kings Park
Elite skating allows you to make up for those rookie mistakes. Quine never played an NHL game, Prince barely played, Mayfield barely played last year, Pulock barely played this year. None of those guys are liabilities out there and they don't even have the raw talent or hockey sense that Barzal and JHS bring.

I disagree that elite skating allows you make up for lapses of judgement, again I think you are understating transition to the NHL. All of those players you mentioned not only had at least some NHL experience before playing in the playoffs but they all played at least 100 AHL games. CHL to NHL playoffs is an entirely different type of transition. Especially for players who are used to holding the puck for extended periods of time and even if it takes just 1 game to learn you can't get away with the same things in the NHL playoffs that you could in juniors, we really can't afford that 1 game. Like I said, I'm not saying Barzal and Ho-Sang can't be successful, nor would I bring up a 'goon' in place of either of them. But I don't want to see them make their debut in the playoffs and if they did, I would be nervous about it.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

watched both playoff games, I thought Dal Colle looked pretty good. Bridgeport is way overmatched, I wouldn't be shocked to see the Marlies run the table - they are incredibly impressive.

I still think he needs a season in the AHL to get used to the size and speed but his skating isn't poor, he's got size but his best attribute is his brain. Uses his size and vision to make smart plays, it's clear even in limited AHL viewings - now a matter of time and development.

19 in a row

Jul 19, 2011
Long Island
See above. Strome has been better in the playoffs than Bailey and has the potential to do a lot more (like last year). Ho-Sang's off ice issue has absolutely nothing to do with his ability to play hockey, and that's what matters.

My prior comments were not Strome vs Bailey (although I am curious on what facts you base your Strome>Bailey on) but rather, with Strome back in the lineup the cupboard is bare for NHL forward fill ins other than Boulton since Lee/Grabo and Bailey are all out. It is highly likely that if we make a deep run, there will be other man games lost and who will get that call? It is not so easy for kids to step in, and going from the OHL to the NHL is a quantum leap. Ho-Sang will get his chance in camp (no one has questioned his ability but based on their last encounter, I do not believe management will or should entrust him with that responsibility now..there are many ahead of him who have earned that chance.. disciplined hockey is a necessity in these playoffs and for our style).

You might be blinded by your dislike for Bailey which seems to have gone to epic proportions with many on this board but his depth will be needed before this is over if we need to reach into the AHL.. Lee was a big blow to us. Maybe we find a diamond in the rough if we bring someone up (TY Quine) but more likely anyone we bring up will have serious growing pains and need to be sheltered.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
My prior comments were not Strome vs Bailey (although I am curious on what facts you base your Strome>Bailey on) but rather, with Strome back in the lineup the cupboard is bare for NHL forward fill ins other than Boulton since Lee/Grabo and Bailey are all out. It is highly likely that if we make a deep run, there will be other man games lost and who will get that call? It is not so easy for kids to step in, and going from the OHL to the NHL is a quantum leap. Ho-Sang will get his chance in camp (no one has questioned his ability but based on their last encounter, I do not believe management will or should entrust him with that responsibility now..there are many ahead of him who have earned that chance.. disciplined hockey is a necessity in these playoffs and for our style).

You might be blinded by your dislike for Bailey which seems to have gone to epic proportions with many on this board but his depth will be needed before this is over if we need to reach into the AHL.. Lee was a big blow to us. Maybe we find a diamond in the rough if we bring someone up (TY Quine) but more likely anyone we bring up will have serious growing pains and need to be sheltered.

Let's take a look:
Strome
GP: 4
SA for: 44
SA against: 38
G:1
A:1
P:2
+/-: +3
PPG: .5
ATOI: 13 min

Bailey
GP: 6
SA for: 54
SA against: 116
G: 0
A: 1
P: 1
+/-: -4
PPG: .17
ATOI: 16 mins

In the first 2 games Bailey was on the ice for all of our ES goals against, meanwhile the Strome-Quine-Prince line was noticeably having the most chances behind our first line. Don't like stats? Fine. He's been miserable with the eye test too. In no measure has Bailey been better or equal to Strome during the playoffs. And it isn't this blind hate that you think I have against Bailey, because I was defending him last year as well as the off season, but he has been terrible this year especially during the playoffs. There's nothing wrong with trying any of these younger guys and just seeing what you have, especially if the plan is to put a guy like Boulton in against Tampa. Against Washington he might be useful, but we aren't playing Washington.

Last edited:

Islander Prophet

Oct 31, 2010
London, UK
I don't think we are in a position to really be worried about injury problems at this point. Even assuming Grabo and Lee are done for good, we can't forget we were benching Strome (who is a starter on our lineup)...

This basically means that we had an extra forward to play with, without the need of AHL call-ups. We would need at least another injured forward (again assuming Bailey isn't returning soon...which is hard to say) to start getting in trouble..

As for defense, we are in a great spot with Zidlicky clearly able to play at a quality level... I'm sure a lot of teams would love to have him as a 6th defenseman right now and we might have the luxury of benching him if Pulock returns..

Getting Halak back is great because it gives us a savior to change things up if Greiss starts screwing things up, which doesn't seem to be happening for now at least..

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Fingers crossed no other forwards get hurt, since we can simply swap Strome in for Bailey and not miss a beat now. Honestly, getting Bailey out of there is simple addition by subtraction anyway. But I believe Strome is going to be motivated and play well. I hope he does and then it is a springboard to next year for him. Much like the slump CdH hit as a sophomore then shook off to become a steady player.

That said, if another forward were to go down, there is a noticeable drop off in talent. I like MDC and Ho-Sang but I wouldn't want to force either into a tough spot. Ideally they need a full training camp and then some AHL time. Let them develop organically.

I think the next call up would be Mike Halmo. He has put in the time with the BST, puts forth effort and has some jam in his game. He would probably be relatively ineffective offensively, but you could put him on the fourth line and move up Clutter. Halmo will play the body, could cause some distractions for Tampa's smaller skill players and might draw some penalties.

The only other option at the AHL level is Bracken Kearns, but I think they would opt for Boulton first and then just give him sheltered minutes.

What I wouldn't give to see Johan Sundstom back, if a call up was truly needed. I always liked him, just think he needs more time to develop and find his game overseas. I also feel that he needed some time to fill out physically and grow into his body type. Maybe another season or two in Sweden and then he could be an effective bottom 6 guy for cheap. The Isles might need a cheap, young vet down the line when some of the young prospects and vets start increasing salary. Although by then he just might stay home and play locally rather than roll the dice in North America again.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
At the end of the day, this was a solid year for Dal Colle, and if it came down to it I wouldn't be against inserting him into the lineup if a couple of bodies go down.
I still think he needs a season in the AHL to get used to the size and speed but his skating isn't poor, he's got size but his best attribute is his brain. Uses his size and vision to make smart plays, it's clear even in limited AHL viewings - now a matter of time and development.

Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for! I was surprised people were reaching to other prospects while ignoring him. I thought he would have the greatest seasoning of all.

I have heard we have a pretty good center in the NHL who might be a good match. Imagine the horror if he came up and they connected for goals immediately. I never gave up on the kid this year despite the slow start. He sweats goals - just has that air to him in a winning environment (a gut feeling). If I watched 10 minutes of him this year it was a lot and by accident though, but I kind of want to see him up. He could be a very nice surprise.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Thanks that's exactly what I was looking for! I was surprised people were reaching to other prospects while ignoring him. I thought he would have the greatest seasoning of all.

I have heard we have a pretty good center in the NHL who might be a good match. Imagine the horror if he came up and they connected for goals immediately. I never gave up on the kid this year despite the slow start. He sweats goals - just has that air to him in a winning environment (a gut feeling). If I watched 10 minutes of him this year it was a lot and by accident though, but I kind of want to see him up. He could be a very nice surprise.

It would be pretty poetic. Seeing this kid start the year getting trashed by most "experts", and ending the year raising the Cup as JT's LW.

The script practically writes itself.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
I still think MDC needs a season in the AHL to get used to the size and speed but his skating isn't poor, he's got size but his best attribute is his brain. Uses his size and vision to make smart plays, it's clear even in limited AHL viewings - now a matter of time and development.

Ok now that paragraph scares me. It sounds kinda like something that would have been written about Griffin Reinhart lol

Color me skeptical, but until I hear that his skating/acceleration has improved and he's producing at the pro level, I'm gonna be on the fence when it comes to this kid.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wright? Wright???? How does he think that's going to fly?

:joker:

But seriously, who the hell saw this coming? Big bodied energy guy? So they liked the Bernier effect and want moar. I like it. Bring on the sledgehammers and start rocking some bones. I want to see Hedman in the corner in a nondescript pile of broken bones barely organized by a skin bag.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

I disagree that Pulock and Mayfield aren't liabilities, they absolutely are. The question is whether or not their upside outweighs their negatives right now. Pulock was burned more than once in the first round, and Mayfield isn't a great skater. However, both provided something the team needed in the series they played. Does what Barzal or Ho-Sang bring outweigh what an AHL guy will, and what potential for injury is there. I'm not trotting Barzal out against the Capitals with Wilson gooning it up. Just don't see the positive to that. Against the Penguins, more inclined.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I disagree that Pulock and Mayfield aren't liabilities, they absolutely are. The question is whether or not their upside outweighs their negatives right now. Pulock was burned more than once in the first round, and Mayfield isn't a great skater. However, both provided something the team needed in the series they played. Does what Barzal or Ho-Sang bring outweigh what an AHL guy will, and what potential for injury is there. I'm not trotting Barzal out against the Capitals with Wilson gooning it up. Just don't see the positive to that. Against the Penguins, more inclined.

Well I'm specifically talking about the Tampa series and relative liability. Is Pulock a defensive liability? Yes. More than Strait? **** no. Is Barzal a liability? Dunno, we haven't seen him. More than Boulton against a fast transition team that isn't physical? Most likely no. Keep in mind that it has been hinted multiple times that he will at a minimum get a 9 game try out next year. If we catch the injury bug is he really going to be worse than Boulton?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad