Injury Report: Injury Thread 2019-20: Pelech Out, Cizikas and Boychuk are healthy

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Agree to disagree, it's not as if Panarin blew by Komarov; Komarov just left him open. He's the only guy on the Rangers that you can't do that with and I'd bet Trotz harped on that.
Martin was just as close to Panarin as Komarov was.

That goal started in our offensive zone with both of those lines out there. The Rags broke out on us, we couldn't get a line change, and we got caught with a mismatch.

Reactions: Strummergas

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Agree to disagree, it's not as if Panarin blew by Komarov; Komarov just left him open. He's the only guy on the Rangers that you can't do that with and I'd bet Trotz harped on that.

It was a case of people not picking up the proper coverage, it wasn't all on Komarov. When the Rags enter the zone they only have four guys. Panarin is covered by a defenseman, as it another forward in front of the net. There are two Rags near the blue line who are also covered by Koivula and Martin. Panarin circles behind the net and Leddy, who was covering him, let him go. Mayfield kept battling with his guy right in front of Varlamov. The fifth Rag player comes into the zone and receives the puck, wide open and that's where the confusion is. Koivula and Martin both have a guy up top, but Leddy isn't covering anyone and is on the same side of the ice as the puck, and Komarov isn't covering anyone but he's on the opposite side of the ice. Leddy steps up, the pass goes to Panarin on the far side and Komarov never even sees him. I'm guessing that Komarov thought Leddy had him, since the Isles play man on man in the defensive zone, and that Martin or Koivula were covering the wrong players and would shift (he even goes to attack the puck carrier when Leddy does because he thinks that is the open man). They didn't, and it left Komarov just standing there like a dope.

That doesn't absolve him of the misplay, but I understand why Panarin was left open. Komarov never even looks at him to know he's there. I even said "they're losing their guys" to my wife about three seconds before that goal.

jaZPai2.jpg

pFyfWtH.jpg

IsEY0js.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph and FourRings

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
It was a case of people not picking up the proper coverage, it wasn't all on Komarov. When the Rags enter the zone they only have four guys. Panarin is covered by a defenseman, as it another forward in front of the net. There are two Rags near the blue line who are also covered by Koivula and Martin. Panarin circles behind the net and Leddy, who was covering him, let him go. Mayfield kept battling with his guy right in front of Varlamov. The fifth Rag player comes into the zone and receives the puck, wide open and that's where the confusion is. Koivula and Martin both have a guy up top, but Leddy isn't covering anyone and is on the same side of the ice as the puck, and Komarov isn't covering anyone but he's on the opposite side of the ice. Leddy steps up, the pass goes to Panarin on the far side and Komarov never even sees him. I'm guessing that Komarov thought Leddy had him, since the Isles play man on man in the defensive zone, and that Martin or Koivula were covering the wrong players and would shift. They didn't, and it left Komarov just standing there like a dope.

That doesn't absolve him of the misplay, but I understand why Panarin was left open. Komarov never even looks at him to know he's there.
But as I said earlier, ideally we would have gotten a line change as the play came up ice but the Rags broke it out into our zone in 2 seconds. Shame too considering the breakout went right by our bench.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
But as I said earlier, ideally we would have gotten a line change as the play came up ice but the Rags broke it out into our zone in 2 seconds. Shame too considering the breakout went right by our bench.

Of course, but lines will get mismatched at times. They need to weather those storms. That time they didn't.

Reactions: Seph

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
good to see Greene is only day to day. MDC as well. Weird, I woke up in a good mood from a NYI loss to the raggies. Think the Isles are going to be good down the stretch. I liked seeing the teams grit and heart last night. We have some guys getting healthy as well......Should be fun. Varly needs to come to jesus though in these big games.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

crasherino

May 9, 2013

Disaster averted?

Indeed. I got kind of sick to my stomach thinking that we just pissed away a 2nd round pick for 5 games of Andy Greene. Glad to see he's traveling with the team. MDC too although I wouldn't minded him being out necessarily but you don't want anyone having a concussion - especially a young guy with his career ahead of him.

Getting Cal back will do wonders for that 4th line too. Hopefully he's good to go going forward.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Disaster averted?

Probably a stinger. I was hoping an overnight sleep and things would improve. He’s probably hurting but can play through the pain. Shoot him up and let him go. Greene is a warrior, it would take a lot to keep him out long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad